Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1st motorcycle for a beginner?

3K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  orconn 
#1 ·
So I had the smart idea to want a bike, my mom let's me get one, but my dad he's the complete opposite of bikes( he used to ride before he got into an accident) now I'm looking for a new bike, preferably new so we can finance it. Looking at a honda cbr500r or 500f, might even a Kawasaki. Now are there any good subsitutes for what I said above, I want something that I won't get bored of and something sort of quick in the mid 400-600cc range. Also I need some ideas of how to convince my dad to allow me to get one. I'm sure most of you have kids, so please give me insight through the parent view. I want a bike because gas is 4$+ in California and I'm getting 10mpg so I need a replacement before I apply for a part time job. I'm 16 and a very save driver

#2 ·
Sorry, can't help with this one. You're 16, just by lack of experience/time behind the wheel, you are not a safe driver, regardless of how cautious you are. And just like in a car, there are plenty of other people on the road that can cause an accident. The difference is, fender bender with 4,000 pounds of Eldo around you, will be very different with a couple of pounds of clothing around you...

I agree with your father. My children (when I have them) will not touch a motorcycle while they live under my roof, until at very least their early 20's.

#3 ·
I also can't help and also wouldn't have let my minor son have a motorcycle despite having owned a dozen bikes and hundreds of thousands of bike miles under my belt. You are just not old enough to decide the fun is worth the risk.

I doubt your dad cares if you have something quick or non-boring. But you should ask him what he would do if he was you and you wanted to work but could not afford the gas to get to and from work. If my son had done that I would have worked hard to figure a way for him. Maybe a job along a bus line or where a friend works and he could car pool. The other side of the coin would be if he hadn't asked me, I'd pretty much know he really just wanted the bike for fun.

#4 ·
I agree with the others sorry dude, I was a total nut at 16 and would have killed myself on a bike. No way in hell is my kid riding street bike at 16.
Improve your mileage by discipline and keep your right foot light or go buy the cheapest easiest on gas used car you can finance and suck it up. We've all been there...

#5 ·
I know very well the area where you drive, I also , when my son began driving, watched as four out of five of his young friends and associates were involved in serious accidents while driving the "new" cars their parents provided. I never have allowed my son to ride a motorcycle in L.A. (or Burbank) traffic.

I can thoroughly sympathize with the cost of gasoline to get you around, even Burbank, but know that cost will still be a factor as you get older. Seek out and buy a car that gets much better gas mileage than your Eldorado. A car that my not be "sexy" but one that would give you more economical transportation.

#11 ·
My first machine, at 19, was a '56 AJS Matchless 500 single. Went on to own 7 others, all British except for a BMW R69S. Quit riding in ~'85.

Not today. Just too damn much traffic - dangerous, even in my relatively rural location. I cannot imagine riding a machine in a city - any city.

#12 ·
My parents didn't care enough to prevent me from owning a bike in high school. My first one was a new '72 Yamaha DT2 250cc Enduro. I lived on that thing.
Today there are too many distracted drivers on the road. I get anxious even riding my bicycle on the road these days. I've lost more friends and acquaintances on bikes (motored or not) then I have in cars. If there's an accident, you are going to lose!

#14 ·
I drive very slow, like not enough to piss people off but slow enough, but I have a stop and go type of traffic, I heard these get 12 in this situation and since this engine has 171k miles I wouldn't blame it for using more fuel, the thing is I am going to keep my car for long as a can, ( preferably till I have grandkids, then I can pass it on,) but I'm still having mixed feelings, crashing, non practical, and how exposed to the weather rain and heat). I'll drive but how can I get better gas milage, I've been getting 10-11 as long as I can remember, at first some 13-14 avgs but it's been going down and down

#22 ·
I'm not that worried about gas to give up driving but think about this, a cbr250r gives 77mpg, I would have use more than 7 gallons to get 77 miles, I am still driving my car, and I just went on a 20 mile cruise around town and WOT

----------

Ohh ya I forgot to mention, I did the first wot cleaning procedure, almost hit redline in 1st, moved it up into 2nd and let off. My friend behind me told me he saw smoke, so my first WOT And it was successful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.