Accessory Technology: which ones do you like or hate
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Aron9000
  • 2 Post By CTSCHICK
  • 1 Post By donwon
  • 1 Post By delerium75
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Accessory Technology: which ones do you like or hate in General Discussion; It seems the auto makers are running out of ideas to make the cars we buy more attractive, so they ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Accessory Technology: which ones do you like or hate

It seems the auto makers are running out of ideas to make the cars we buy more attractive, so they are loading them with some dubious technology. Are there new accessories that you really like and are there new pieces of technology that you could live without (would rather live without!)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    I'm ecstatic when my car has delay wipers...

Bluetooth nice for wife talking to her family on way to work.

Randy35630 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Brougham, 2013 Honda Civic LX
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I'm ecstatic when my car has delay wipers...

Bluetooth nice for wife talking to her family on way to work.
    My dad's Lexus RX350 has a useless rearview camera, the screen is in the inside rearview mirror and is tiny.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: Accessory Technology: which ones do you like or hate

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    It seems the auto makers are running out of ideas to make the cars we buy more attractive, so they are loading them with some dubious technology. Are there new accessories that you really like and are there new pieces of technology that you could live without (would rather live without!)?
    The hands free bluetooth calling/talking on newer cars is pretty trick. Only time I really do talk on the phone in the car is when I'm out on a deserted section of interstate and I know I'm not getting off for a while. Not enough hands/arms to take calls if you drive a stick like me.

Traction/stability control systems have come a long ways from where they were 15 years ago. My 1999 Z28 had "traction control", which when it sensed even the slightest wheelslip it would just retard the timing of the engine, killing any power/fun you were trying to have. IE briskley leave from a dead stop, turn the tires over a few times, it would then cut timing and make the engine bog. Also, punch it from 20mph, it would kick down from 2nd to 1st, spin the tires over two or three times, bog the engine, then shift back to 2nd. You'd be going a lot faster if you had just given it half throttle and avoided a downshift. Thank god there was a big button high on the dash to turn it off.

Now on the new Corvette, Ferrari's, Porsches, etc, you have 4 or 5 settings for traction/stability control. From total nanny state like my old Z28, that is usually "Rain" or "Snow" mode. Then normal, which does allow a bit of wheel spin in a straight line, performance which will let you slide/rotate the car a little bit before it cuts in and selectively brakes the correct wheel to bring you back in line(along with cutting the timing/throttle), and you can then turn the whole she-bang off and do donuts in a parking lot until you burn off all the tread on the tires.

Now as far as useless gimmicks, lets talk about parking sensors and a back up camera on a Mini Cooper. Not saying those are features are useless, as they are very handy when trying to park a big Suburban or if you are backing up to hitch a trailer.
    EcSTSatic likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Remote start will not own a car with out it.
    Bluetooth.
    USB ports an SD slots.
    Nav
    Front and Rear Ultrasonic Parking Assist.

Do not like or can do with out the Lane departure warning, Forward collision alert and Intellibeam in the newer Cadillacs.
    CTSV_Rob and ryannel2003 like this.

donwon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

And I thought "Curb Feelers" were modern technology.
    bigm57ict likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by donwon View Post
    And I thought "Curb Feelers" were modern technology.
    You were right. Everything that isn't now WERE modern technology

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I appreciate anything that helps me see better at night. Better headlights (that don't yellow after a few years), driving lights for deserted roads, fog lights, anti glare windshield etc.
    I like the additional accessory outlets (remember cigarette lighters?). I like the additional cupholders so i don't spill my hot McDonalds coffee on myself. I still plan to add a new head unit with flip up screen and backup camera in my Suburban.
    I don't like touchscreens because they are not used properly. HUs in the past were designed to be adjusted without taking your eyes off the road. Some, like my 'burb have remote control. How so with this new tech? That said, I like the controls in the steering wheel.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^ I'm with you on better headlights. Cornering lights are cool as well, they turn on and light the side of the road when you put on the turn signal. Have them on my 92 Lexus, both my 91 Brougham and 95 Fleetwood had them. Helps you see the inside curb/ditch. This feature has gone away on newer cars. Later model SC's have a revised front bumper with lower "fog lamps", useless extra lights in place of the cornering lamps on my car.

As far as headlight technology goes, you don't need Xenon lights, LEDS, or all that more expensive technology to make effective headlights. My buddy's 2012 Camry has awesome headlights, its a conventional two bulb(one for low, one for high) arrangement that has been around since the 80's. The real technology is in the reflector/lens design, the bulbs themselves are just cheap off the shelf items I'm sure Toyota pays $1 a pop for.

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

Headlights, even with basic bulbs, have really come a long way in the last 20 years. The Fleetwood is better than the Seville and Maxima in terms of seeing at night, though none of them can compare to the '06 Grand Prix I used to have. I had an '06 Corolla for a few months before the GP and that car had the best headlights of anything I've driven. The high beams were outstanding...literally "light up the night" good.

Back on topic, I don't think any kind of blind spot detection is really necessary with properly adjusted mirrors. I follow the "side mirrors pick up where the edges of the rear view mirror leaves off" kind of adjustment and cover the majority of the blind spot. I do like Volvo's City Safety thing where it can automatically hit the brakes. I miss the GP's remote start. Bluetooth seems like it would be handy but if I'm in heavy traffic, leave a voicemail...I'm not picking it up for anything. Nav is hit or miss depending on the car...some are great, some just annoying like my Dad's Accord where you need to hit the Lawyer Screen each and every time the car starts.

Those things lead me to another issue. A lot of those kinds of options seem to come bundled in a technology package that includes the best stereo and many don't let you get the best stereo as a stand alone option. That would kinda piss me off having to buy $3-4K+ worth a crap to get the stereo I want.
    orconn likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.