Mama Mia, I hope this gets here soon!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By orconn
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Mama Mia, I hope this gets here soon! in General Discussion; Hopefully this Alfa Romeo Duetto, which is supposedly due in 2015, will get to the U.S. before I have to ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Mama Mia, I hope this gets here soon!

Hopefully this Alfa Romeo Duetto, which is supposedly due in 2015, will get to the U.S. before I have to turn in my driver's license! I have been waiting, as have many Alfisti , for Alfa Romeo's return to the American market. Alfa, along with Jaguar and Cadillac, have consistently, over my driving years, turn out models that not only appealed to my aesthetic senses but also drove, felt and performed the way I think a car should.

I have been a strong enthusiast for the mark ever since a friend let me drive his two year old 1966 Alfa Giulia 1600 Spider on a regular basis. What a gem of a small sports car. Quick with excellent handling for its' day, I fell in love with the car. Another friend had a brand new 1967 Alfa Duetto Spider that he, also let me drive to my hearts content. Granted driving the two lane roads of East Africa in an Italian roadster was an experience made in heaven. Waiting for lions and other of the African "Big Five" to cross the road while seated in an open two seater was a not to be repeated experience .... as was the wonderful, smooth and nimble performance of the Alfa's.

ala 1600 spider.jpg alaf duetto 3.jpg

africa lions.png africa giraffe.jpg africa ostrich.jpg

While my desire and will to own an Alfa was always there, other transportation issues prevented me from owning one till my son and I were out looking at cars to replace my sad Audi 5000S Avant as my personal car. One of the criteria for the new car was that its' trunk could accommodate two English riding saddles standing on end, and other equestrian tack and stuff. We were at a Chrysler dealer trying to see if one of the cab forward cars would fit the bill (they didn't) when I spotted a lovely new red 1992 Alfa 164S sedan sitting in the corner of the showroom. Up went the trunk, in went the saddles and "ecco" my first (and only) Alfa Romeo.

That bright red Alfa 164S lived up to all my expectations for the marque, quickish with its' Ferrari derived four OHV V-6, a great ZF automatic (most of my driving was in and around L.A.) and handling that even "Top Gear" said out did BMW! Although the car came with a four year bumper to bumper warranty, it was never plagued with the usual European car weaknesses (electrical and HVAC issues) in fact during my ten year ownership and 80,000 miles of use the car required only regular maintenance. That 164S turned out to be best car I have ever owned and my all time favorite. The only reason I got rid of it was that having moved to Virginia I was not confidant I could get decent service.

So I have been patiently awaiting Alfa Romeo's return to these shores. This new Duetto, which shares its' chassis (a joint venture with Mazda) with the next generation Miata should be one heck of a fun car. I wouldn't mind having a 166 wagon either but it is not clear that they will be coming to the States. If I don't get a Duetto, I know I can convince my son to get one. Let's hope they really are coming here in 2015!

2015-alfa-spider-and-alfa-retro-inline-photo-478851-s-original.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Mama Mia, I hope this gets here soon!

Hehehe sounds like you are pretty excited! Hopefully they do come stateside!

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Not bad looking

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

You would wear that well my friend!

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Is this the same car that appeared in one of Top Gear UK's latest episodes:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/r...-4c-2013-11-28

I have heard many good things about Alfa, but it is not in my shopping list until I make sure that there is good dealership and warranty support for the car here in the US.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Boy, that's how I feel in a convertible as the homeless wander around downtown St Louis.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Jesda, I know what you mean, travelling in an open car in American cities is a harrowing experience! Give me Africa's "Big Five" over America's homeless any day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.