Earthquakes bring down air planes???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Earthquakes bring down air planes??? in General Discussion; That's the latest theory in this missing Malaysia airliner. I couldn't hear what they were saying. But I just read ...
    Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Earthquakes bring down air planes???

That's the latest theory in this missing Malaysia airliner.

I couldn't hear what they were saying. But I just read the little ticker in the screen. "Chinese detected a seismic even in the area of the missing plane.

If the plane was over land and it crashed, then I can perfectly understand the seismic event. But since it was over ocean, then what are they thinking?

I don't know about y'all, but why aren't commercial airliner transponder hardwired in? It shouldn't be able to be turned off when the plane is on. Kind of like a motorcycle headlight, once the key is turned on the headlight is on.

KOT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Earthquakes bring down air planes???

This whole disappearance is shakey at best, I fully expect to hear that a dragon bit off its' tail.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

The story was like this:

The Chinese had detected some vibrations deep in the ocean and thought that that might be caused by the crash of the airplane. Then Americans replied no. There was a weak earthquake, 2.6 I think, and the vibrations recorded by the Chinese are due to this earthquake, not the crash.

donwon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

I think a big UFO got it and took it into space to analize the people.
    Don't mean to make fun of it and I hope it is found safe somewhere at an airport.

BlueAngel#07 is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS PERFORMANCE / 2007 DTS - GONE
    Quote Originally Posted by donwon
    I think a big UFO got it and took it into space to analize the people. Don't mean to make fun of it and I hope it is found safe somewhere at an airport.
    What??? ( putting on tinfoil helmet )

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

An earth quake causing an airplane to crash is about the most ridiculous think I have ever heard of. I can't believe anyone with any knowledge would even suggest that.

Kad4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'

^^^
    Alien abduction would seem more feasible .

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

So, apparently this flight went missing like...a week ago or some crap?

I don't know, I just heard of it today, when I arrived at work and the comment "How the **** do you lose a plane?" was made (and that was the entire discussion of the subject, really). I have actually learned more from this thread than I ever would have known about the event otherwise.

So why is a plane crashing into the ocean and disappearing all that unlikely? It has happened before (many times) and will continue to do so. This mystery is not nearly as interesting as I had hoped.

As for Aliens, that makes no sense. If you had the technology to actually travel to Earth from another habitable planet, there couldn't really be anything here worth stopping to see.

It also does not explain the seismic activity.

Now a more reasonable theory would of course be that the plane disappeared from radar when it crashed, not as a result of the seismic activity, but both events being caused by the obvious.

GODZILLA and/or CTHULHU.

Preferably the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    So, apparently this flight went missing like...a week ago or some crap?

I don't know, I just heard of it today, when I arrived at work and the comment "How the **** do you lose a plane?" was made (and that was the entire discussion of the subject, really). I have actually learned more from this thread than I ever would have known about the event otherwise.

So why is a plane crashing into the ocean and disappearing all that unlikely? It has happened before (many times) and will continue to do so. This mystery is not nearly as interesting as I had hoped.

As for Aliens, that makes no sense. If you had the technology to actually travel to Earth from another habitable planet, there couldn't really be anything here worth stopping to see.

It also does not explain the seismic activity.

Now a more reasonable theory would of course be that the plane disappeared from radar when it crashed, not as a result of the seismic activity, but both events being caused by the obvious.

GODZILLA and/or CTHULHU.

Preferably the latter.
    This is what we know... The plane left Malaysia at 1201am local time. About an hour into the flight the transponder was shut off. No sign of distressed, such as a mayday call. Then on radar there was a course change, nearly a 100 to 180 turn. Then some other communication was turned off, apparently this requires a removal of a piece of electronics. Where as the transponder is a simple flick of the switch. However, Rolls Royce says that each of the engines was still communicating with their satellites for at least 4 hours after the transponder was shut off.

Just google "Malaysia plane missing". At least 10 countries are looking for this plane.

KOT

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    There is a slight potential of the energy wave to transmit through water...but the seismic signature from this minor earthquake lasted longer and shows a very different event...

When countries invent stories, I tend to suspect the country. I would be looking for political dissidents among the passengers. I suspect that, with every seat a float cushion and the fact that all planes shatter upon impact with the water (a 777-200 does not glide from 35,000 feet) and there would be floating debris all over...

Missing that sign, makes me think the plane is perhaps intact...in the hands of?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnxlrv View Post
    (a 777-200 does not glide from 35,000 feet)
    From 35,000 ft it can glide a lot farther than you think.
    Kingoftypos likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by Johnxlrv View Post
    There is a slight potential of the energy wave to transmit through water...but the seismic signature from this minor earthquake lasted longer and shows a very different event...

When countries invent stories, I tend to suspect the country. I would be looking for political dissidents among the passengers. I suspect that, with every seat a float cushion and the fact that all planes shatter upon impact with the water (a 777-200 does not glide from 35,000 feet) and there would be floating debris all over...

Missing that sign, makes me think the plane is perhaps intact...in the hands of?
    Welp, there were two passengers with stolen passports. The electronics were turned off. The engines continued to ping a long time after the jet went missing.

Terrorists. With big plans.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Welp, there were two passengers with stolen passports. The electronics were turned off. The engines continued to ping a long time after the jet went missing.

Terrorists. With big plans.
    "funny" how they ruled those two as possible terrorists, then with in hours as not.

Though I am still on the fence about this whole thing.

KOT

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    An earth quake causing an airplane to crash is about the most ridiculous think I have ever heard of. I can't believe anyone with any knowledge would even suggest that.
    I talked with a Wien Consolidated pilot that was landing at Fairbanks International Airport while the Great 1964 Earthquake was in progress in Anchorage 260 miles away. He said that it looked to him like ocean waves were coming down the runway so he elected to go around until it subsided. The earthquake lasted for three minutes and registered a 9.2. He said there was no doubt in his mind that the landing gear would have collapsed if he'd continued his approach.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I have no argument with that. That's only common sense, but earth quakes cannot bring down an airplane from cruise altitude (or any altitude for that matter). Reread the title of this thread.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.