Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 Sprint Cup Thread

3K views 63 replies 12 participants last post by  RippyPartsDept 
#1 ·
Alright, I know I'm not the only NASCAR fan on this board, so... let's try and compile a thread for the whole season.

If you're not a fan, that's cool. Don't be a douche about it. Don't be "that guy" with your snide "LOL LEFT TURN" comments that you think are so clever. I promise - they're not.

Aaaaaaanyway. This Daytona 500 was probably the most interesting one in years. That was a hell of a race, even if Dale Jr. won (sorry, lol I'll control my urges.)

Anybody else think he can carry the momentum, which is obviously HUGE, into Phoenix next week?

These are my picks for the PIR race: http://autowaffle.com/profit-cnbc-500-sprint-cup-phoenix-preview/

How about you guys?

#5 ·
It's physically just not feasible. No tire compound exists that can funnel the water away fast enough with the speed and the banking. They'd never be able to stop or turn, and it would be a fiasco.

I think they should work toward implementing the rain tires for the road courses, though, like they do for Nationwide.

#6 ·
Anybody else think he can carry the momentum, which is obviously HUGE, into Phoenix next week?
Not necessarily. A good car and skill only go so far. A LOT depends on pure luck like where you are when the shit hits the fan, a simple oil pump belt failing and taking out the engine as we saw last weekend (I did not realize that the oil pumps where external). I think it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time.

#10 ·
I look forward to group qualifying. It'll be similar to how Australian V8 Supercars does it. It's really good.

It also pretty much turns quali into a second practice session. Draft together for lap times, see who works up front, out back, etc.

It'll be good. Now qualifying will be worth watching on TV.

#13 ·
-At tracks measuring 1.25 miles and shorter, there will be two rounds. The first round will be 30 minutes and include all cars. The 12 fastest cars will advance to a 10-minute second round, where the pole winner will be decided. The teams have a 10-minute break between the first and second sessions.

-At tracks measuring 1.25 miles and longer, there will be three rounds. The first round will be 25 minutes and include all cars. The 24 fastest cars during the first period will advance to the second round, where they will be lined up based on their first-round qualifying speed. The second round will be 10 minutes, and the 12 fastest cars will advance to the final round, a five-minute session where the pole winner will be decided. Between rounds, teams will have a five-minute break.

#15 · (Edited)
Stock Car Engineering: http://chelseamagazines.com/files/download/243/Stockcar_2014_Spring.pdf

Probably won't be there for long since its a first issue given away to draw subscribers. Their F1 magazine is first rate.

I think its pretty funny how they refer to Coughlan as an ex-Williams employee. Its not likely that people are going to forget that he is much more remembered as a McLaren man where he cost them a one hundred million dollar fine for accepting Ferrari secrets from a disgruntled employee before being sacked and eventually ending up at Williams. My guess is that he came to NASCAR because the fines are substantially lower than 9 figures, well that and the fact that the Williams cars he oversaw were among the worst ever.

I'm hoping for some "likes" so I can post jokes in this thread without feeling guilty.

#24 ·
After about fifteen years of riding around the track with a bad attitude Junior acts like something finally built a fire under him. Tony Jr. got a spark lit once when Junior was with the back markers and bellyaching about the car. Tony Jr. told him that they pay him a lot of money to make some difference out there and it's about time he earned it. He drove like Tazio Nuvolari and got back up to the front but it didn't last.

#34 ·
Harvick had a HOT ROD but it was so hot it fried his LF hub. Har har har

Team Penske is serious biz this year. Amazing how Logano has turned into a top notch driver now that he's got decent backing.

Jeff continues to do well. Hell he was better than the 9th he finished. This is good :sneaky:

Jr. is gonna be in the title hunt right up to Homestead. He is driving the wheels of anything he sits in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.