Why DARK Tint?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Why DARK Tint? in General Discussion; I have to ask. They make coatings now that have very high UV and heat rejection with minimal blocking of ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Why DARK Tint?

I have to ask. They make coatings now that have very high UV and heat rejection with minimal blocking of visible light. In the beginning you had to cut light to reduce the heat and fading. Since you can have it all now, why does anyone WANT to block light? I mean except for those who don't have the budget since the UV and heat blocking only stuff costs more.

Is it just wanting to be like the next guy, a peer pressure kind of thing? Is it so people can't see you if you have on some old raggedy clothes? Is it so you can pick your nose in heavy traffic without people knowing? I'm being facetious but really do not understand the motivation.

Cutting visible light or input to any of the senses seems bad. I could understood the tradeoff when you had to give up light to get the UV and heat blocking and I did that in the past, but to give up light when you don't have to, makes as much sense to me as walking around with cotton in your ears or washing your mouth with Chloraseptic before a gourmet meal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    As I'm sure you know, you can see out of a tinted window MUCH better than you can see into one. I have 35% all around, no visibility problems day or night. I tinted my windows because (IMHO) the car looks better that way. I'm sure most people do it for aesthetic reasons.

Re: Why DARK Tint?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    As I'm sure you know, you can see out of a tinted window MUCH better than you can see into one.
    So.... a vote for nose picking?

I have 35% all around, no visibility problems day or night.
    I have to disagree. Less light by definition means you won't see as much or as quickly. There may be enough light in the daytime with x percent of tint but at some amount of ambient light it will prevent or delay seeing some things and that is unquestionably less safe. You can say you will accept the added risk, but you can't really say it isn't there. And I am not against letting people assume risks so am comfortable with the laws regarding tint "darkness", just as I am for allowing people to smoke or ride a bike without a helmet (not implying those risks are equal). I'm not anti-dark tint, just trying to understand the motivations.

I tinted my windows because (IMHO) the car looks better that way. I'm sure most people do it for aesthetic reasons.
    Why does it look better to you? Is it conditioning? I mean black slabs are not very interesting by themselves regardless of color (or lack of) or shape. If its to keep people from seeing your interior, why? A lot of styling went into the interior of the car, so why hide the shapes, colors, textures, etc.? If aesthetics is a motivation, wouldn't the clearest windows possible the best?

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

1: the car looks alot better in limo tint

2: lighting in the cabin becomes much more comfortable

3: less sun in ur eyes if the tint is dark enough

4: privacy is excellent. picking ur nose is a big perk. dont feel like ur in a fish bowl where ppl can see you.

ive always tinted all windows medium or darker (including windshield). on my last car i decided to go with very light tint on the front windows since its illigal to tint in my state. regretted it since the car didnt look as nice, and i was visible from inside the car. dont get me wrong im not ugly or anything. i just enjoy privacy. its nobodys business what is going on in my car. so why should they see? the interior looks fine but i like the added mystery to the car. i ran into a friend with a 335 coupe with red seats. he had no tint. i asked him y. he said cuz the seats are red. i want ppl to see. the way he said it was probably one of the most show off, douchebag statements ive ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    the car looks alot better in limo tint
    It must to some people. I'm hoping to find the reason but don't have high hopes since just about everyone knows what paintings, sculptures, music they like even if they don't know anything about the subject of art. But maybe there is someone who has an academic perspective to why tint looks good to some.

lighting in the cabin becomes much more comfortable

less sun in ur eyes if the tint is dark enough
    But sun glasses do both. You can put sun glasses on when its bright. But you can't take the tint off when its dark. Don't want to pursue that further, unless someone can explain why tint does those things better than sun glasses.

privacy is excellent. picking ur nose is a big perk. dont feel like ur in a fish bowl where ppl can see you.
    Okay, but how do you explain why people on reality shows also use dark tint on their cars? LoL. I'm thinking privacy will be the biggest reason and its buried too deep in the animal brain to overcome.

ive always tinted all windows medium or darker (including windshield). on my last car i decided to go with very light tint on the front windows since its illigal to tint in my state. regretted it since the car didnt look as nice
    Yeah, mismatched tint would not look good in my opinion either.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Different strokes for different folks ............

For some, it's gangsta'. For some it's "aesthetics". For some it's the legitimate reason of stopping UV damage - particularly those who live south of ....... Connecticut.

Personally, car window dark tint looks pure urban. BUT - I use a foil windshield jobberdoo in the summer and the car is garaged ........ many tint jobs look like ripply bubble heaven, so it's a no-go for me.

A large yacht that I skippered had a wide expanse of windshield over the upper steering station. Forget to snap on the canvas cover in port and the place turned into an oven in the summer. I had the tempered glass done in a high UV-reflective minimum darkness tint. Wonderful - no more faded instruments, no more peeling dash leatherette. Really didn't need the canvas covers in port, either............ so that was a legitimate upgrade. (Took 3 pages of the owner's manual to get it all done right)

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    It must to some people. I'm hoping to find the reason but don't have high hopes since just about everyone knows what paintings, sculptures, music they like even if they don't know anything about the subject of art. But maybe there is someone who has an academic perspective to why tint looks good to some.

But sun glasses do both. You can put sun glasses on when its bright. But you can't take the tint off when its dark. Don't want to pursue that further, unless someone can explain why tint does those things better than sun glasses.

Okay, but how do you explain why people on reality shows also use dark tint on their cars? LoL. I'm thinking privacy will be the biggest reason and its buried too deep in the animal brain to overcome.

Yeah, mismatched tint would not look good in my opinion either.
    sunglasses bother some ppl (me). in my opinion tint looks very nice. but privacy is the biggest reason. and of course leather damage. even though it can be helped with lighter tint, the darker version of that same light tint blocks more UV%

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    So.... a vote for nose picking?
    SHH!

I have to disagree. Less light by definition means you won't see as much or as quickly. There may be enough light in the daytime with x percent of tint but at some amount of ambient light it will prevent or delay seeing some things and that is unquestionably less safe. You can say you will accept the added risk, but you can't really say it isn't there. And I am not against letting people assume risks so am comfortable with the laws regarding tint "darkness", just as I am for allowing people to smoke or ride a bike without a helmet (not implying those risks are equal). I'm not anti-dark tint, just trying to understand the motivations.
    Fair enough. Yes, technically there is less light coming through. So let me clarify: I (personally) have no difficulty seeing out of the windows in the daytime, or at night. I live and drive in a city where there are well lit streets. If I look out my side windows at night, I can see plenty of detail. I can see people in the streets, on the sidewalks, cars without their lights on...all very clearly. So for me, where I drive, with 35% tint. It's not an issue. I PARK in a poorly lit private way. If I had to drive in streets that were lit like that, then the tint would definitely make that more difficult. That said, I can easily parallel park the car against the porch, in front of the Vigor, at night, without any extra lighting

Why does it look better to you? Is it conditioning? I mean black slabs are not very interesting by themselves regardless of color (or lack of) or shape. If its to keep people from seeing your interior, why? A lot of styling went into the interior of the car, so why hide the shapes, colors, textures, etc.? If aesthetics is a motivation, wouldn't the clearest windows possible the best?
    I like how the I terror of my car looks, but I guess when I look at the exterior of a car, I like to concentrate on the exterior shapes and details. With the windows dark, it makes the windows blend into the pillars, and look more like panels/a part of the car than a way to see into and out of the vehicle. When a clay mock up of a new design is made, the artists color the window area black, not glue pictures if the interior onto it.

With my Seville specifically, the dark windows also blend into the black roof. It just makes the car look sleeker.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

For the same reason the blinds or curtains in my house remain closed the majority of the time, I enjoy my privacy. Its a privilege for people to see what I'm doing!!!

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Photochromic tint is awesome but I think it's close to $100/square foot.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Depends on model of car if it looks good to me.
    Here's what chaps my arse... factory tint here is no extra charge when inspected and that stuff is really dark on some cars(SUV mainly) but any aftermarket tint has extra fee to be tested.

The-Dullahan is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I am going to speculate that people enjoy it for the privacy of it. Before we go too deep, let's review.

Aside from tint at the top portion of a windshield to block sunlight, my Cadillac, Mack, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Chevrolet all have no tint. The rear sections of the Expeditions are tinted. the reason that these other vehicles have no tint? Let's face it, it would look tacky and stupid.

That being said, if you are a person like myself who does not do well when exposed to sunlight for even a brief moment, perhaps tint would be useful, as well as for the aforementioned privacy.

Tinting the top portion of a windshield is to prevent the large amounts of light from blinding you, so I can understand that much.

As for keeping me from picking my nose, I will have you know that if I were to pick my nose, I could probably sell tickets to spectators, because it would be fascinating, to say the very least.

I will also go on to explain that though most of you likely have little experience with Eighteen-Wheelers in Australia, (In fact, most of you probably have no experience with them in the Americas either) that a large majority of them actually have the LOWER portion of the windshield tinted. Naturally, this is because the sunlight bouncing off of the roadways and surrounding scenery is often comparatively worse than the sunlight beating down from the sky, so it is more of a hazard for potential blinding of the driver.

Of course, we like to joke that this is because Australia, being on the "bottom half" of the planet, is upside-down and thusly requires the tinting on the windshields to be reversed.

Fun Fact: My Mack is for reasons unknown the Aussie edition, with the larger radiator and housing, but spent most of it's career in the High North of the Americas and has never been more south than The United States of America. It even has two massive block warmers. It does however lack the tinted lower windshield of it's Pure-blooded Australian sisters.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I have to ask. They make coatings now that have very high UV and heat rejection with minimal blocking of visible light. In the beginning you had to cut light to reduce the heat and fading. Since you can have it all now, why does anyone WANT to block light? I mean except for those who don't have the budget since the UV and heat blocking only stuff costs more.

Is it just wanting to be like the next guy, a peer pressure kind of thing? Is it so people can't see you if you have on some old raggedy clothes? Is it so you can pick your nose in heavy traffic without people knowing? I'm being facetious but really do not understand the motivation.

Cutting visible light or input to any of the senses seems bad. I could understood the tradeoff when you had to give up light to get the UV and heat blocking and I did that in the past, but to give up light when you don't have to, makes as much sense to me as walking around with cotton in your ears or washing your mouth with Chloraseptic before a gourmet meal.
    ^^^ I couldn't agree more; it's all of the above. Right up there with baggy pants on the floor, and tattooing, the desire to belong to a group is very strong, even to the point of self endangerment.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I am considering having Guido done in the interest of preventing racial profiling by Madion Police Dept.

Living here in the hood, when they see an old white dude driving a "pimp yellow" Cadillac, they assume I have stolen it.

I have never thought of tinted windows as something people do to be part of a certain "group". Other than maybe those who black out or "murder" their cars, or the "gangstas" with their limo tint and 937 inch rims.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.