Cadillac Owners Forum banner

A fuel efficient car... I actually want? WHAT?!

2K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  93DevilleUSMC 
#1 ·
#12 ·
By my standards, your Wagon and Camino are both fuel efficient. In fact, they both beat my Economy Car, which made 10 MPG on High Octane.

----------

Okay, so I would not drive that ghastly thing...but...

It's American. Therefore, it is superior to a Prius (As a Prius is an import, which benefits no relevant communities to purchase) and crates jobs for people. It is also INCREDIBLY inexpensive NEW and uses essentially NO fuel.

Well done indeed.

#14 ·
Me and some of the engineers at work (Where I work is also an electric car company so this is something for us to watch) were talking about this car today. The price and the MPG claims were a little out there so we did some quick math. There is almost no way that either the price or the MPG can be true. The cost of material alone to build a car that size, we placed it in the $5000 mark and that is with 0 technology or safety that they are claiming. The insurance on adding airbag operations alone is staggering along with regulatory costs. Let’s say they can bring each unit to $5000 in should costs, then that leaves $1800 each unit to pay for the plant, insurance, employee wages and benefits, dealership franchises which will take their cut, spare parts, inventory, maintenance for an assembly line ETC ETC. We guessed if that was the case they would have to sell at least 300K a year to break even at best. meaning it would be as popular as a Corolla. Also 84 MPG out of a 3 cylinder engine seems out of the realm here. The powertrain guys couldn’t calculate how a 55HP engine with 3 cylinders could possible move the weight of that vehicle at highway speeds for more than 60MPG. I have my doubts that this is going to live up to the radical promises on its site. Let's just say I wouldn't put a deposit down until there is a car at a dealership. When they fold, you will not get your deposit back.

#16 ·
That's because you're the most close-minded person on this entire forum who hates nearly anything that isn't a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC with burnt clear coat.

:)

----------

For perspective: I wonder how much this weighs vs the original Geo Metro. It also has a 3 cylinder engine, and I've heard reports of people getting 50+ mpg MIXED in their Metros.

I also wonder about the costs involved.

Also, TIL John's job [not sure you want me saying on forum] makes electric cars. Did not know that at all.

#19 ·
The Smart fortwo would like to have a word with you.

If you check out the site and read the FAQ, I think the idea is to title them as motorcycles because they have three wheels, so they're not subject to the same safety standards (as I mentioned, actually).

Then again, I wonder how crash testing for motorcycles works. I don't think they rate them, per se, but I know that companies DO test their bikes. Honda, for instance, has a fuel tank mounted airbag on the Goldwing now.

#27 ·
Stingroo said:
That's because you're the most close-minded person on this entire forum who hates nearly anything that isn't a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC with burnt clear coat. :) ---------- For perspective: I wonder how much this weighs vs the original Geo Metro. It also has a 3 cylinder engine, and I've heard reports of people getting 50+ mpg MIXED in their Metros. I also wonder about the costs involved. Also, TIL John's job [not sure you want me saying on forum] makes electric cars. Did not know that at all.
Doubts here as to the milage claims. Having just ditched my insight ( mostly due to the manual trans in stop & go Houston traffic), 52.5 mpg with a 1.0l 3 cylinder 2500 pound aerodynamic (the 2 seater version with rear wheels covered) aluminum body and a functioning IMA system, I have a good feel for what to expect...

You certainly feel small and insignificant...like a gnat waiting to be squashed by all of the SUVs and trucks on the road. Side winds wreak havoc with even tracking straight. Though don't rule out polyethylene extrusion processes...make the entire molds and you can squeeze out reinforced body parts for almost nothing...but, not for me thanks given the lack of safety features. My wallet may be lighter in paying at the pump, but at least it is intact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.