Feel that Cadillac Abandoned Me (current STS Owner)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cadillac Kid03
  • 1 Post By Jesda
  • 1 Post By talismandave
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Feel that Cadillac Abandoned Me (current STS Owner) in General Discussion; I bought a 2005 STS, V6 and loved everything about the car. Size, handling and the luxury ride. Thought I ...
    NJRay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Feel that Cadillac Abandoned Me (current STS Owner)

I bought a 2005 STS, V6 and loved everything about the car. Size, handling and the luxury ride. Thought I was a Caddy man for life, now that
    my STS has 210K miles on it (I spent maybe 7K on repairs in the last 9 years) I thought it was time to start thinking about a replacement. I eagerly went to the dealer to test the CTS (3.6 and V-sport) and tried to like it, but no matter how hard I tried its bigger than the old CTS but I felt
    cramped inside. So I tested the XTS, and it was a perfect, maybe too big, but the ride and handling felt like I was driving my Grandfather's Caddy from the days of old. I could have bought it and settled but was not wowed by the experience.

So I opened my horizons and stopped by an Audi dealer and drove the A-6 3.0 V6. Varoom, perfect size and perfect handling. As a member of
    the STS marketing demographic I feel let down. The StS was the perfect car for me, 6ft male in the 45 -54 age bracket and while the CTS has
    great performance its tooooo small. The XtS has plenty of size but offers nada in the way of performance handling to write home about.

So on this go around, I will look at the comparable German and Japanese cards and maybe return to Caddy on the next go around if I make it into their marketing plans.

NJ Ray

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    What about the XTS Vsport?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I kinda agree. The CTS should feel bigger inside but doesnt feel any bigger than the last gen. The XTS is strictly a cruiser...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Feel that Cadillac Abandoned Me (current STS Owner)

Yeah, its tough. A6 is a good pick, thus its growing popularity. The E-class drives like a more traditional sedan.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

I'v sat in a few new CTS's and older ones. They both are very tight at least to me, Being a 6" 5 inch's 240 pound man. I even think the ATS and XTS are pretty tight fitting. The DTS has room and the motor i love and looks. Cadillac is kind of turning its backs against the old school Cadillac owners. But Cadillac seems not to really care about that all they want is these young kids driving em and could careless about us. Last true Cadillac was the DTS and i think we will never see another one like it. Just my 2 cents.
    brandondeleo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    I'v sat in a few new CTS's and older ones. They both are very tight at least to me, Being a 6" 5 inch's 240 pound man. I even think the ATS and XTS are pretty tight fitting. The DTS has room and the motor i love and looks. Cadillac is kind of turning its backs against the old school Cadillac owners. But Cadillac seems not to really care about that all they want is these young kids driving em and could careless about us. Last true Cadillac was the DTS and i think we will never see another one like it. Just my 2 cents.
    Or, in other words, they want to survive...

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

"survive" Yeah like they tried in the mid 80's with the smaller cars?....

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03 View Post
    Larger Buicks and Cadillacs are on the way. The upcoming LTS will be priced out of reach of most Deville owners but the large Buick that will be based on it could be within reach. So yes, Cadillac abandoned traditional full size luxury buyers, but they'll be back.

Until then the Chrysler 300, Toyota Avalon, Hyundai Azera, and Kia K900 fill the role of the traditional Deville, emphasizing space and comfort.
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by NJRay View Post
    I bought a 2005 STS, V6 and loved everything about the car. Size, handling and the luxury ride. Thought I was a Caddy man for life, now that
    my STS has 210K miles on it (I spent maybe 7K on repairs in the last 9 years) I thought it was time to start thinking about a replacement. I eagerly went to the dealer to test the CTS (3.6 and V-sport) and tried to like it, but no matter how hard I tried its bigger than the old CTS but I felt
    cramped inside. So I tested the XTS, and it was a perfect, maybe too big, but the ride and handling felt like I was driving my Grandfather's Caddy from the days of old. I could have bought it and settled but was not wowed by the experience.

So I opened my horizons and stopped by an Audi dealer and drove the A-6 3.0 V6. Varoom, perfect size and perfect handling. As a member of
    the STS marketing demographic I feel let down. The StS was the perfect car for me, 6ft male in the 45 -54 age bracket and while the CTS has
    great performance its tooooo small. The XtS has plenty of size but offers nada in the way of performance handling to write home about.

So on this go around, I will look at the comparable German and Japanese cards and maybe return to Caddy on the next go around if I make it into their marketing plans.

NJ Ray
    Do you need more space in the car for your passengers or cargo, or you yourself just feel cramped when you sit behind the wheel? I am 5 10, and I moved from Cadillac Seville STS, which is roomier than your STS, to my new ATS, which is more cramped than the new CTS, and actually I feel more comfortable behind the wheel of ATS! The "cramped" ATS was strange and awkward at the beginning, but I quickly get used to it. I am going to argue that it is just a feeling that can rapidly go away. I had both old STS and the new ATS for awhile, and I was driving them back to back, and I felt more comfortable in sporty seat of the ATS. The ATS seat fully supports my body, and keeps me in full control of the car. The STS seat was too big, and didn't provide enough support for the body, and allowed my body to wiggle around.

Maybe this is just a mindset that anything smaller than your old big seats is uncomfortable? Maybe if you give it time, you start to like the new seats?

kaceyseldo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 97 eldorado
    I have been spouting off about the lack of room in new caddies for about 5 years now. There is a huge difference in 5'10" and 6'4". I'm 6'9" and will NEVER own a caddy with less room than my eldo. If that means keeping my current and buying another brand in the future, so be it. But I'm holding out for hope that they will once again make a decent entry level luxury car. Not a BMW wannabe.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

He is 6', not 6'4". If you don't like the new design of Cadillacs and think they are "BMW wannabe," that is OK, I understand. It is totally subjective. One likes, one dislikes, no argue on that. My comment is about the "feeling" behind the wheel for people that are about my size and maybe even a little taller. Furthermore, based on posts in ATS forum, it seems that people who are as tall as 6'5" still can sit comfortably in ATS. It is the gas pedal's size and location that can be the problem. Based on the posts, drivers with shoe size of 13 or higher have difficulty in flooring the gas pedal all the way down without touching the brake pedal:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...dal-issue.html

delerium75 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 STS, 1992 Fleetwood, 1987 Maxima wagon

I drove my buddy's '10 CTS home from the auto show last weekend and I do have to agree about it feeling tight. I'm 6'5" and my shoulder, with a coat on, was rubbing the b-pillar; glancing to the left to double check my blind spot had me looking straight into that b-pillar and it was very close to my face.

The other thing I didn't like was the fact the pedals were placed so far back towards the drivers seat compared to where my left foot rested. THAT felt very Toyota-ish and I disliked that more than the shoulder space...it's a deal killer for me on a long drive.

I had an '06 Grand Prix that I owned for 7 years...sold it in September. That car became one of my favorite cars I've owned...lots of leg room, shoulder room, placement of the pedals was great--both legs out, not one out and one bent, 3.8L had pep (felt similar to the Fleetwood). It was just a very comfortable car and in a year or two when I can get something newer again, I may end up with another one of those (supercharged next time?)...a CTS isn't going to be on that list.

Oh well...

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I think I spotted a couple words in delerium75's post.

"....with a coat on..."

I am sure you didn't catch that the same way I did Ben. I am sure you own a coat and have no problem with wearing it in your car. The coat that we wear in our area where tonight we are having -12 with a - 40 wind chill make moving around in a car a bit tighter!

I notice it in my Volvo all the time. Nice room in summer, a bit constraining when layered up in sweaters and ski coats in winter. The added inches in my 87 make a much more enjoyable drive.
    delerium75 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.