Have you ever "geeked out" about a hotel room . . .
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Aron9000
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 1 Post By thebigjimsho
  • 1 Post By knotgoalie
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Have you ever "geeked out" about a hotel room . . . in General Discussion; Dude I'm in about stage 2 of bugging out here in this Courtyard Marriott in downtown Atlanta. Granted I am ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Have you ever "geeked out" about a hotel room . . .

Dude I'm in about stage 2 of bugging out here in this Courtyard Marriott in downtown Atlanta. Granted I am pretty drunk, so that might have something to do with it. But I still felt a sense of foreboding about this hotel when I entered the lobby, got lost getting to my room, then entering my room, which is a giant white box.

Granted I've stayed in some nasty hotels(Best Western in Hagerstown MD is an epic fleabag) that were not really clean. But I was so tired and booked on priceline for a stupid cheap rate, so it wasn't THAT big of a deal.

The hotel is on Carnegie Street about 3 blocks or so from Olympic Park. Its not the cleanliness that is wigging me out, I must say the housekeeping staff does an exceptional job. '

Its the extremely modern/contemporary decor put into a 15 floor building that was built back in the 1910's or 20's that has me wigging out. You check in this very contemporary lobby that is smaller than the size of my room. There was a party of 4 that checked in right before me that was crowding this entire lobby area with their cart full of luggage. Horrible design.

Got into my room, noticed that the entire room is done in a dark laminate hardwood flooring. All the walls but the far red one were white. The ceilings in the hallways were 8-9', get into the room, they're like 12-15' tall. There is an entire wall of windows which the beds face, with floor to ceiling curtains, and a flat screen TV poking out of the curtain/window wall. Went to the bathroom, noticed it was floor to ceiling white granite tiles, with a beige floor. Anyways the main thing that drives me nuts about this room is that every surface is a hard one. Floors, sink counter, desk, night stand, everything is a natural stone. Talk to somebody in this room and it echos like a tin can. Plus there are exactly 3 lamps in this huge room, its very dark but the walls are white with tall ceilings, which is kind of disconcerting, because you usually view that contemporary loft as very bright, but not so in this room.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a spoiled princess, but everything about this room sets me on edge and doesn't make me want to sleep.

Maybe I've stayed in too many cheap hotel rooms where the walls are beige, the furniture is dark wood, the carpets are dark and busy, the bathroom looks the same as my dated 1980's house. Its just this whole place has me wigging out and unable to sleep.
    talismandave likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Have you ever "geeked out" about a hotel room . . .

Could you post some pictures? You make it sound awesome, but extremely out of place.

KOT
    brandondeleo likes this.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

I'm referring you back to your second sentence; get back to us in the morning. (if you survive the night...................ha)

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
    By any chance, do you suffer from Caustrophobia?
    Don't like the color red?
    Have unexplained nightmares?
    Alcohol problem?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Boo!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quite wordy for a drunk fool...
    brandondeleo likes this.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille (deceased) 2002 DeVille (current)

Yeah, you're just out of it.

Marriott's Courtyard brand prides itself on quality, attention to detail, and CONSISTENCY... Thing is, you're at the Downtown Atlanta Courtyard, which is one of the "Boutique" Courtyards, and they don't closely align with the design features of your traditional Courtyard. I looked at the pictures of that property online, and I can kind of get what you're saying about the unsettling design of the hotel. The rooms look cramped and quirky. I personally really enjoy the design of all-stone bathrooms (and housekeepers love it for ease of cleaning) but it can make it echo-y. As far as "dark, busy, and dated", I think you're on crack, personally. It's a pretty reasonable contemporary design. As far as size and layout go, it's a historic building, so they're limited as to how they can realistically lay out the lobby. Courtyards generally don't have huge reception areas, but "cramped" usually doesn't describe them. A note on cleanliness, as well, Marriott has the highest quality and attention to detail I've seen in any company, and their training, management, and employees are a testament to that. These are pictures of the property in question. They can be found at Marriott.com/ATLDO (Atlanta Downtown, make sense?)

(A side note: My career is in the field of hospitality, and I've worked for some of the largest hotel companies in the world, InterContinental Hotel Group, Wyndham, Hilton, and Marriott. I currently work for Marriott. Marriott is the best by far.)

----------

Also, the building itself is the Carnegie Building. Twelve stories, built in 1925. It houses 150 rooms (143 rooms, 7 suites).

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Ok....those hotel rooms are pretty sweet, and you are drunk. The TV popping out of the curtain is weird, but I'd rather have that then the early 90s 19" panasonic (which you have to request the remote to, and hope you wont get jesdaids from it) on top of the cheap 2 drawer dresser with one broken drawer).
    Almost every motel/hotel I've been to screamed shitty late 80s/ early 90s cheapness. Only one that wasn't like that was a courtyard in a KC suburb. It was nice, clean, and the staff was friendly.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Does "geeked out" mean squealed like a girl?

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Ok....those hotel rooms are pretty sweet, and you are drunk. The TV popping out of the curtain is weird, but I'd rather have that then the early 90s 19" panasonic (which you have to request the remote to, and hope you wont get jesdaids from it) on top of the cheap 2 drawer dresser with one broken drawer).
    Almost every motel/hotel I've been to screamed shitty late 80s/ early 90s cheapness.
    I lived on the road playing in bands in the 70s...wanna' talk skanky hotel rooms?

J.R.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by knotgoalie View Post
    I lived on the road playing in bands in the 70s...wanna' talk skanky hotel rooms?

J.R.
    You trying to convince us you remember any of them?

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    You trying to convince us you remember any of them?
    Some, but there are a lot of polaroids somewhere and if any of those places still exist I'm sure I left my mark there in some way

J.R.
    talismandave likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    jesdaids. Lolzers...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.