frozen water line...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, frozen water line... in General Discussion; got home late last night and discovered that water line inside the house froze. i set the furnace thermostat to ...
    HR-cts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 wagon 3.6

frozen water line...

got home late last night and discovered that water line inside the house froze.
    i set the furnace thermostat to about 16C since nobody was in the house before leaving for work...turns out that wasn't warm enough!

goddamn builder attached the line to the wood base plate which sits on top of the foundation wall and under the floor joists - and of course at that place there is no insulation....just tentest sheathing, air space and then brick veneer.
    had the builder been there, I would have have shot him dead, the idiot!

thawed it out with a hair dryer, and thank God, there are no leaks.

I hate this winter; it's just too damn cold.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: frozen water line...

Quote Originally Posted by HR-cts View Post
    got home late last night and discovered that water line inside the house froze.
    i set the furnace thermostat to about 16C since nobody was in the house before leaving for work...turns out that wasn't warm enough!

goddamn builder attached the line to the wood base plate which sits on top of the foundation wall and under the floor joists - and of course at that place there is no insulation....just tentest sheathing, air space and then brick veneer.
    had the builder been there, I would have have shot him dead, the idiot!

thawed it out with a hair dryer, and thank God, there are no leaks.

I hate this winter; it's just too damn cold.
    They did that crap at my house too, built 1979. Thankfully I installed pipe wrap a few years ago through out the basement.

KOT

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

My folks built my house in 1949 and I've never frozen a pipe even in -66F weather.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

^Same here.

The only problem that we ever had was during construction of the North wing of the house, before there was any insulation put in. Some of that wing did not share the main basement and instead had a smaller one with a ground-level entryway (About ten feet of it) and was raised up eleven feet off of the ground (building on a mountainside, that happens, as the ground goes down, but each floor of the building remains level.

The pipes leading there froze (no damage to anything) and we solved this prior to completion of the structure by leaving the faucet in the far bathroom there EVER SO SLIGHTLY turned on. It kept the water moving well enough to prevent it from freezing.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Time for moving a water line or some heat tape so you don't ever have to worry about it again.
    We were laying in bed one night way back when we lived in the north with closet doors open because the water lines ran in there and whammo one froze and broke spraying water everywhere. I had moved the water lines from under the house because they froze the previous year into the nice warm closet but put against outside wall... We moved before the next winter.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

My house was built in 1920. What is this insulation you speak of??

Actually, we had it blown into the walls and I filled the attic right after we moved in! It's hard to imagine how people lived back them without insulation, no A/C, and the old gravity heat beasts in the basement. At least they had electricity and indoor plumbing!

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

I recommend moving the line away from there and stuffing insulation up in there or heat tape. why you would put a water pipe in that space is beyond me.....its not exactly easy to access.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^^ Let's face back then it probably somewhat beat a sod hut or a covered wagon!

HR-cts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS4 wagon 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    I recommend moving the line away from there and stuffing insulation up in there or heat tape. why you would put a water pipe in that space is beyond me.....its not exactly easy to access.
    will move the line.

but, to do that, i have rip-out the drywall ceiling and part of the drywall over the foundation wall firstly to get at the pipe, then re-drywall over it once it's moved more towards the centre of the house.

heat tracing works fine if there is power, but if the power is off, you're screwd - and the power goes off, usually, during ice storms when it's cold!

believe it or not, there is some glass fibre batt over the pipe, but its facing the inside of the house, whereas the pipe is on the exterior side...in other words, the insulation is protecting the pipe against warm air of the house!!!!

dumb, dumb, dumb!

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

PEX is your friend. Routing it may be easier than copper. It also expands more than copper

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    When I read the part about you having to remove the drywall and what not. I wanted to ask if the vapor barrier and what not is on what side of the pipe. But when you said that the pipe is on the outside if the batting, then I got my answer. Lol

So yes, best advice is to move it more inside the house. And PEX is your friend.

I also have electrical wires running on the foundation near my water pipes too. Just being next/near each isn't a problem. However, when it's placed on a ledge that rodents can walk on. Then you'll have problems. I had a lot of wiring chewed up because of the wires ok the foundation.

So when you are up there, check your electrical wires too.

KOT

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    My house was built in 1920. What is this insulation you speak of??
    That would make you the owner of the newest home, in my town.

Mind you, we never needed A/C, as in the summer, it never gets warm enough to justify it. We had three fireplaces, though.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    PEX is your friend. Routing it may be easier than copper. It also expands more than copper
    +1.

When I had an under slab leak in a copper pipe, I decided to eliminate all under slab pipes. I went ahead and replaced all the copper in the house with PEX. I had it done but it was clearly easier to do and less destructive to the drywall. You can snake long runs with just a few access holes. I don't know how freeze damage proof it is but logic says it would be less so since it can expand. That's how connections are made, by expanding the PEX and letting it close back down around the fittings. I don't know how much but it has to save on hot water to locations far from the heater since it doesn't conduct heat from the water like copper does. Plus nobody will rip your house apart to steal the water pipes when you are gone or rent to the wrong people. LoL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.