Uneducated commentary by friends/co-workers about Cadillac ownership
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By knotgoalie
  • 4 Post By orconn
  • 2 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By The-Dullahan
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Uneducated commentary by friends/co-workers about Cadillac ownership in General Discussion; I have stated in other threads that a Cadillac is to me the best value in a used auto that ...
    knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Uneducated commentary by friends/co-workers about Cadillac ownership

I have stated in other threads that a Cadillac is to me the best value in a used auto that can surpass many new vehicles even at ten or more years old and still be relatively current in technology. If it has been properly maintained, a Cad of that age is easily up to the challenge of whatever I throw at it and will still look pretty much like new at a cost of roughly 10% of its original invoice. No brainer! I am a self confessed "Cheap Bastard" who demands value for his $$$.

Where my ire is prodded is when I get comments from people like co-workers along the lines of "holy crap (not the word he used), you went from a beat up pickup to bad ass Caddy. Must be nice". The guy that said that drives a Chevy S-10 for which he paid more than I did for my DHS. Jeeez bud, keep the truck for when you need it and try a Cad for the sheer joy of it...I know you can afford it, just tell the wife no more bathroom renos for a bit!

There are the others at work who drive BMW, Mercedes etc. who tend to cast a downward glance at a Cadillac yet the fact remains that if needed, I am able to give them a lift to their respective dealerships (oh, shoes off, here's a bag for them, my car is very clean thanks much) to pick up their very frequently "serviced" vehicles, many of which hail from the same era as my Cadillac which I just drive but a lot more than they do their cars at a stretch. To them I say, "C'mon, we're in Toronto now so I'll meet you in Vancouver in four days (being nice) for lunch, ok? What? Stop in Regina for "service"? No, I'll wait for you in Vancouver.

Just how does one (ok, how do you) deal with those who view a Cadillac as a posing pretension or an automotive underling? Thanks listeners so call in, call often and by all means...be nasty! It seems Cadillac is a love/hate thing among the masses.

This has been a tounge in cheek presentation...thank you.

J.R.
    70eldo likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Uneducated commentary by friends/co-workers about Cadillac ownership

^^^ Why deal with them at all? Just enjoy your Cadillac and leave them to enjoy their own thoughts and vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ^^^ Why deal with them at all? Just enjoy your Cadillac and leave them to enjoy their own thoughts and vehicles.
    I hear you orconnn however f'n with them is after all part of the daily game. I work on a film crew that has for the most part, been together for years and part of our day to day entertainment is to take the piss out of someone on the crew for whatever. It depends on the day...could be you, could be me but it comes off like a celebrity roast with the emphasis on any topic. I'm part of the transportation department, dealing with trucks, cars and all vehicles involved with the production inclusive of on/off screen vehicles. For 18 hrs. a day we deal with stunt vehicles, unit (truck) placement, power generation, equipment transfer, actor transport, and whatever happens to come up of a day for all departments.

They may razz us about cars but we are professionals and we know our shite and so do they. I have no problem asking a propsman why the radio on the mantle in a particular scene was not made until 5~10 years after the period being shot. Most of the jabs are a game but there are still some that just don't get it...oh well.

J.R.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Just tell the Mercedes and BMW owners that you are just trying to raise Cadillac's prestige by owning one.

Of course you could always explain that one doesn't see too many Merc's and Bimmers running around the ghetto as opposed to old Cadillacs which are in high demand among ghetto denizens ..... who as everyone knows are the arbiters of automotive value for the buck!

Just tell the Mercedes and BMW owners that you are just trying to raise Cadillac's prestige by owning one.
    Heyyyy, I'm not the Fonz...be realistical, ok? Hey, Cunningham, get over here.

J.R.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by knotgoalie View Post
    Just how does one (ok, how do you) deal with those who view a Cadillac as a posing pretension or an automotive underling?
    Confucius say, "Never argue with a fool".
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

You need new friends.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Ownership of a modern MB/Audi/BMW unfortunately means you spend a lot of time in a loaner. The better dealers put you in near-equivalent cars.

Lexus has the luxury retail and service experience figured out, unfortunately you don't get to enjoy it as often!

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

If I would have been worried about the opinions of GM cars with my workers, co-workers and clients I would have been driving another brand of car a long time ago.
    Unfortunately Perception and dealership experience is not a priority with GM other than advertising Car Of The Year in t.v. commercials.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

This guy. this guy right here. Good on ya, Orconn.

Tell them you're sorry that they feel that way and go about your day merrily.

Personally, my friends have similar taste in Fullsize American, V8-powered vintage automobiles and while one of the people I work with (Whom I spend probably 120+ hours a week around) is very much an automotive enthusiast (Honestly, I am not) but she absolutely loves my Cadillac.

I suspect if someone did make such a bold statement though and I felt like standing up for my decision (Which I make for myself and no one else, so chances are, no, I wouldn't care) I would inquire of a comparable vehicle to mine from the brand they prefer.

Now, in my case that is far easier than with your Cadillac, given...the uniqueness of mine, compared to it's contemporaries or modern cars.

(Though it could be compared to ONE contemporary, but given the opportunity, I'd have one of those too)

However, in your case, explain (politely) the specific details that you prefer about your car, given examples of the other car's parables and why you do not prefer them over what your Cadillac offers.

If you can, find a parable that their car is superior to yours in and make mention of it. This slight ego boost on their behalf, as they will notice that you've just complimented their vehicle, will help avoid an argument and may haps allow them to understand your point of view about the situation or at least, humbly agree to disagree. Even if there was only one car on the market, it would come in assorted colours, because at the end of the day, different people have different opinions.
    77CDV likes this.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Ownership of a modern MB/Audi/BMW unfortunately means you spend a lot of time in a loaner. The better dealers put you in near-equivalent cars.

Lexus has the luxury retail and service experience figured out, unfortunately you don't get to enjoy it as often!

The real luxury is having a car that doesn't break down. Lexus(and Toyota) have had this figured out since the early 90's. Granted their products ARE boring for the most part, but so is a v6 C or E class Benz, newer BMW with the 4 cylinder engine option, an Audi A4 or A6 with the 2.0 turbo 4. All the German options are boring unless you are spending more than 50k with the V8 or forced induction six cylinder motors.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.