Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Uneducated commentary by friends/co-workers about Cadillac ownership

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aron9000 
#1 · (Edited)
I have stated in other threads that a Cadillac is to me the best value in a used auto that can surpass many new vehicles even at ten or more years old and still be relatively current in technology. If it has been properly maintained, a Cad of that age is easily up to the challenge of whatever I throw at it and will still look pretty much like new at a cost of roughly 10% of its original invoice. No brainer! I am a self confessed "Cheap Bastard" who demands value for his $$$.

Where my ire is prodded is when I get comments from people like co-workers along the lines of "holy crap (not the word he used), you went from a beat up pickup to bad ass Caddy. Must be nice". The guy that said that drives a Chevy S-10 for which he paid more than I did for my DHS. Jeeez bud, keep the truck for when you need it and try a Cad for the sheer joy of it...I know you can afford it, just tell the wife no more bathroom renos for a bit!

There are the others at work who drive BMW, Mercedes etc. who tend to cast a downward glance at a Cadillac yet the fact remains that if needed, I am able to give them a lift to their respective dealerships (oh, shoes off, here's a bag for them, my car is very clean thanks much) to pick up their very frequently "serviced" vehicles, many of which hail from the same era as my Cadillac which I just drive but a lot more than they do their cars at a stretch. To them I say, "C'mon, we're in Toronto now so I'll meet you in Vancouver in four days (being nice) for lunch, ok? What? Stop in Regina for "service"? No, I'll wait for you in Vancouver.

Just how does one (ok, how do you) deal with those who view a Cadillac as a posing pretension or an automotive underling? Thanks listeners so call in, call often and by all means...be nasty! It seems Cadillac is a love/hate thing among the masses.

This has been a tounge in cheek presentation...thank you.

J.R.

See less See more
#3 ·
I hear you orconnn however f'n with them is after all part of the daily game. I work on a film crew that has for the most part, been together for years and part of our day to day entertainment is to take the piss out of someone on the crew for whatever. It depends on the day...could be you, could be me but it comes off like a celebrity roast with the emphasis on any topic. I'm part of the transportation department, dealing with trucks, cars and all vehicles involved with the production inclusive of on/off screen vehicles. For 18 hrs. a day we deal with stunt vehicles, unit (truck) placement, power generation, equipment transfer, actor transport, and whatever happens to come up of a day for all departments.

They may razz us about cars but we are professionals and we know our shite and so do they. I have no problem asking a propsman why the radio on the mantle in a particular scene was not made until 5~10 years after the period being shot.:thepan: Most of the jabs are a game but there are still some that just don't get it...oh well.

J.R.

#4 ·
Just tell the Mercedes and BMW owners that you are just trying to raise Cadillac's prestige by owning one.

Of course you could always explain that one doesn't see too many Merc's and Bimmers running around the ghetto as opposed to old Cadillacs which are in high demand among ghetto denizens ..... who as everyone knows are the arbiters of automotive value for the buck!

#11 ·
The real luxury is having a car that doesn't break down. Lexus(and Toyota) have had this figured out since the early 90's. Granted their products ARE boring for the most part, but so is a v6 C or E class Benz, newer BMW with the 4 cylinder engine option, an Audi A4 or A6 with the 2.0 turbo 4. All the German options are boring unless you are spending more than 50k with the V8 or forced induction six cylinder motors.

G
#9 ·
If I would have been worried about the opinions of GM cars with my workers, co-workers and clients I would have been driving another brand of car a long time ago.
Unfortunately Perception and dealership experience is not a priority with GM other than advertising Car Of The Year in t.v. commercials.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.