autozone oil sale
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, autozone oil sale in General Discussion; Certain autozones have clearance prices on synthetic oil. I scored Castrol edge 0w30, QS 5w30 and Penz Ultra 5w30 for ...
    dbbspider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 escalade ext

autozone oil sale

Certain autozones have clearance prices on synthetic oil. I scored Castrol edge 0w30, QS 5w30 and Penz Ultra 5w30 for $3 per qt. I bought enough for 6 oil changes.
    Rolex likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: autozone oil sale

Cool. I'll need to check them out. Wonder why they are clearing out synthetic?

I spoke with the dude at the counter, he said they are discounting the oils that do not sell well in that store. Some stores have the discount on certain oils but some stores don't depending on how well that particular oil sells

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Gives you an idea of just what the retailer actually pays for engine oil, doesn't it ?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Not always, Very common for us to sell old crap that don't sell for pennies on the dollar we paid for it just to get it out of the way.

The self space is worth more than the loss you take. Every square foot of retail space has to earn its keep. If it isn't making money, it's losing money!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Several years ago a local store had a sale on their 10W30 SG grade. This was shortly after they went to what erver the next grade was with lower ZDDP. I bought enough for 16 oil changes (10 cases). I'm almost out.

guyslp Guest

The whole decreased ZDDP thing is a tempest in a teapot if you believe the certifying bodies, which I do.

Note: API has recently released an oil guide in 2013, which also addresses suitability of oil for older engines. See the Motor Oil Matters guide.

Reading through the API & ILSAC motor oil standards/specifications for current (API SN/ILSAC GF-5)
    oils and the preceeding specs should put anyone's mind to rest about the suitability of currently available
    motor oils for use in older car engines. For oils for gasoline powered engines each and every specification
    meets or exceeds the performance of all of its predecessors. Since this means that there has been a
    continuous improvement in lubrication performance there is no reason to believe that oils meeting
    current specifications are not far more than adequate for older engines.

API Oil Licensing and Certification Technical Bulletin:
    http://www.api.org/certifications/en...l1complete.pdf

Note: API has also published the full and latest API 1509 specification (17th edition, September 2012) online, all 130+ pages of it.

ILSAC Final GF-5 Spec:
    http://www.gf-5.com/uploads/File/ILS...2-09_final.pdf

and, from the Mobil Oil Q&A Site:

On needing to Mix Oils for ZDDP Levels:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ssic_Cars.aspx
    I find it interesting that even on this "answers" page the statement is made that a
    particular one of their oils, "already contains a higher level of ZDDP (1000 ppm) that
    *could* benefit your flat tappet engine." [emphasis on that could is mine]. I have yet
    to find a single manufacturer who states either "will" or "does," but instead couches
    the statements in ways such that the preconceived notion is addressed.

On Zinc & Phosphorus Levels:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...gine_Oils.aspx

On Purported "Removal" of ZDDP from Motor Oils:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...otor_Oils.aspx

Mobil Oil Product Table, including Zinc & Phosphorus Levels:
    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

If you're still determined that ZDDP is a must then you can always buy oils designed for diesel engines, which still have higher levels. Delo from Chevron, Delvac from Mobil, plus others still have the higher ZDDP levels. Just like other things were substituted for lead when it was phased out the same has happened for ZDDP, and the testing that goes with the certifying specifications have either remained unchanged or gotten even more stringent in terms of allowable wear.

Brian

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

^^^yes.

I can't believe that $3/qt is considered a bargain. I've yet to pay over $2/qt for motor oil.

If 3 dollars is so amazing, what do they sell for regular retail???

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    If 3 dollars is so amazing, what do they sell for regular retail???
    I pay around $5/qt for the good Mobil 1. I think Penz Ultra has a higher MSRP than Mobil 1, but have no idea on the street price since I don't use it. I am going to look into this because I would use the Ultra for $3/qt.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    I pay around $5/qt for the good Mobil
    Where?!

I'm in los Angeles county

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Where?!
    At WalMart. Ariund here (central AZ), they sell 5 qt jugs for ~$25. But individual quarts are close to $7 each. I originally thought they were selling the extended performance for the price of the "regular" Mobil 1 by mistake since everyone else charges more but they've been doing it now for years (i.e. same price as the regular Mobil 1).

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

To compliment that, I also find that overall, Walmart has very competitive prices on most automotive fluids and basic maintenance items.

However, in this area, it's hard to beat Farm and Fleet when it comes to this stuff. Even Walmart can't beat it. 6 qt oil w/ filter changes tally up to $15 in materials.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

However, in this area, it's hard to beat Farm and Fleet when it comes to this stuff.
    That's where I bought the 10 cases.

guyslp Guest

To compliment that, I also find that overall, Walmart has very competitive prices on most automotive fluids and basic maintenance items.
    Agreed. They're generally a far better deal than any of the big chain auto parts stores. Also, if you do just a bit more homework, like checking out the MSDS for a number of their house brands you'll find that they are actually major brands that manufacture for Wal-Mart. Their MSDS search engine page for their house brands is here. For many automotive fluids it's far easier to search by the UPC code rather than the product name. Their regular 5W-30 is made by Citgo and the full synthetic by Warren Distribution (which is a major player in motor oils that gets sold under many different brands).

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.