Anybody modify the rules for Monopoly?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Anybody modify the rules for Monopoly????? in General Discussion; We play this game around the holidays, and have several rules for making this game go A LOT faster. 1. ...
    Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Anybody modify the rules for Monopoly?????

We play this game around the holidays, and have several rules for making this game go A LOT faster.

1. We shuffle the deed cards and deal one to each player before the game starts.

2. If you own both Utlities, rent is 150 times what is on the dice. Roll a 12, your life sucks, $1800. If you own one, its what is printed on the card, 4 times the amount.

3. If you own 3 railroads, rent is $1000, own all 4, rent is $1500. Owning 1 or 2 is the same amount on the card, ie a trivial amount.

4. If you land on "Free Parking" you get to start an auction on any property that is not owned. The banker starts the bidding at $20 increments.

5. If you land on "Go to Jail", you get to stay on that spot. So you still have to pass Pacific, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Park Place, and Boardwalk. Your penalty is paying $100.

6. If you land on Jail, you have to pay $100.

7. If you get a Chance or Community Chest card that says "Go to Jail", you just pay $100 and stay in the same spot. If you get a "Get out of Jail Free" card, that will be good for any time you land on "Jail", "Go to Jail", or get another "Go to Jail" Community Chest or Chance card.

8. We play by the 2 house rule. IE get 2 houses and you can get a hotel. Only thing is a hotel costs the same as two houses. You can play 3 houses if you want, but 4 houses is the same as a hotel.

9. Mediterranean, Baltic, Oriental, Vermont, and Connecticut Avenues, ie all those crappy navy blue and light blue properties on the bottom of the board are not useless in our game. Houses are card value, but get a hotel on any of those properties and its $750, same as the purple St Charles Place or States Avenue.

10. The most important rule, if somebody lands on your property, it is up to YOU to call "RENT" before the next person roles the dice. If you aren't paying attention, somebody lands on your property, and the next person roles the dice, you forfeit any rent owed to you.

11. If a player lands on "Chance" or "Community Chest", and has to pay a fine, everybody gets a chance to win the cash. The person who pays the debt rolls the dice again. So lets say he rolls a five. Everybody gets to roll, if you get a 5 you win the amount of the fine. If three people roll a 5, then the amount of the fine, lets say $60, gets divided by 3, so the people who rolled 5 and won got $20 each. If nobody wins, the money goes to the bank.

12. If somebody is bankrupted by "Jail" "Go to Jail" "Community Chest" or "Chance", their property is auctioned off to the highest bidder, who must pay any mortgage fee that is associated with the property.

13. Luxury Tax is $200. Once again we play it like "Chance or Community Chest", ie the person paying rolls the dice, if anybody gets the same amount on the dice they win $200.

Our basic idea is to make any spot on the board expensive enough to bankrupt somebody. I've played this game with this set of rules several times. Not only does it make the game go faster, it makes negotiations a lot more interesting. Somebody could be bargaining a red, yellow, or green property for Baltic, just because the rent with a hotel is $750, but it costs $400 to put hotels on Baltic and Mediterranean.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I might try some of those next time.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Anybody modify the rules for Monopoly?????

I have one main rule that makes it go faster... I have to have beer... after that don't seem to care how long it takes

Have used similar speed up rules myself.

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Haven't played in years, but one I remember, was that all taxes, penalties (from Community Chest, Chance and board penalties) went into the middle of the board (the pot) and whomever lands on Free Parking gets the stash.
    Stingroo likes this.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

Oh, yeah! I've definitely modified the rules of Monopoly to either make it more interesting (or speed it up if it's running too long). It's always fun, even when it does tear your family apart.

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I have one main rule that makes it go faster... I have to have beer... after that don't seem to care how long it takes
    I'm trying to formulate a version which will incorporate helmets, pads, some sort of stick or club and yes...alcohol. "Contact Monopoly", which could already be a Russian version...I just don't know???

J.R.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Leave it to a Canuck to turn it into hockey!
    orconn likes this.

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Leave it to a Canuck to turn it into hockey!
    Oh c'mon, too not much different than "Action Golf" which replaces all but the putter with an old school "cap & golf ball" style gun capable of firing a golf ball to the green in a single shot and you work it from there.

J.R.
    talismandave likes this.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

I actually really enjoy traditional Monopoly.

Especially the length. That's what makes it fun to me.

I'm weird.
    talismandave and CTSCHICK like this.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I agree with you!

...on the length of the game, not the "you being weird". Although.....
    brandondeleo likes this.

The-Dullahan is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Personally, I am with Sting here. However, depending on the audience, we have changed rules slightly.

Last time I played this, it was with business partners (both sneaky individuals whom I would not associate with were it not for their underground networking abilities, for though we are all great friends, we'd have never met)

Anyhow, our rules are more realistic. You can continue to build properties up, so long as you have the funding. Rent goes up accordingly. You can have an endless number of hotels on a spot.

If you own every railroad, you can ride the railway for free or sell tickets. This allows players to jump around the board at will, should they land on that space.

We can also refuse someone the right to stay at our property and have them trespassed, resulting in jailtime. We tend to bail one another out (Again, like in real life) and make loans, charging absurdly high interest (Like in reality)...though if you are asking for a loan, how many times you've been in jail will probably affect how likely you are to receive a loan.

Bail is far more expensive and we charge more every time we reach new brackets of how much money our players have on average.

Like in real life, we can also abuse our police relations and for the proper tradeoff, can bribe officers and frame one another, should one of us land on the GO TO JAIL space. Like in reality, I have never been to jail (Except for bailing people out)

Naturally, monopolizing an entire side of the board is anyone's best bet. Even better to form a partnership with the person monopolizing another side of the board and bankrupt the other players. When we do this, we will usually make arrangements to not charge one another fully or offer a free stay, should we land on particular spaces.

Unlike in reality, none of us has ever played as the Racecar and had it blown up and had to purchase a new racecar (This loses it's purpose if it is not IDENTICAL) and left it in the parking garage where those who decided to destroy our car would see it parked beside theirs and have just enough time to do a doubletake before this one blew up as well.

I play as the Tophat. No one contests this, because they always want the other pieces and I would gladly fight (physically) over this.

The aforementioned other two both wanted to play as the dog. The winner was decided based on whom was carrying a larger weapon at the time.

Ahh, Monday-Night Stakeouts.
    talismandave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    Haven't played in years, but one I remember, was that all taxes, penalties (from Community Chest, Chance and board penalties) went into the middle of the board (the pot) and whomever lands on Free Parking gets the stash.
    See that makes it go on forever. Some weak ass player with no properties gets $2300, then it take an eternity for them to land on a high dollar place with houses or hotels.

Even when we play it by my rules, its still a several hour game. Its just my rules make all the garbage properties real winners, so every space on the board has some bargaining power. The scheming aspect of this game is what I love. Its how do I pull a once over on my buddy who has that one property I need to own all 3 colors, yet somehow make him feel like he gets something from the deal, while I'm really just trying to totally **** him.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Actually, now that I think of it, one modification we do use is in negotiating, we'll allow for "immunity" on rental properties that can be claimed whenever. Landed on my boardwalk? Don't have two grand? No pay.

...this time. Huehuehue.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

No...

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    Actually, now that I think of it, one modification we do use is in negotiating, we'll allow for "immunity" on rental properties that can be claimed whenever. Landed on my boardwalk? Don't have two grand? No pay.

...this time. Huehuehue.
    See we've always played with no immunity. I'll have to try that next time we play. Although I think unlimited immunities would be bad, because one person could own the greens(Pacific, North Carolina, Pennsylvania), and that one person who sold them Pacific could have made a deal that they never have to pay rent on the greens. Then you end up with that person owning the greens bankrupting everybody, and the only person left is the guy who you gave lifetime free rent to that has $256 to his name.

BTW, the green properties are the ones to own. Nobody lands on Boardwalk or Park Place, they almost always land on one of the greens every time they go around the board. Rent is like $1500-1800 or so with a hotel, almost as much as Boardwalk's $2000

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.