New member shopping for STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, New member shopping for STS-V in General Discussion; Just signing up and looking for advice. Long time GM owner but never owned a Cadillac. I used to build ...
    Dustin11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

New member shopping for STS-V

Just signing up and looking for advice. Long time GM owner but never owned a Cadillac. I used to build and race Buick GN's. I had a 26,000 mile GN that ran 10.50 several years ago. I now have a 87 Regal with a 531ci turbo Big Block that runs deep into the 4's in the 1/8 mile. I have a cruiser 69 Camaro, my DD truck is a 2002 Duramax and my wife's DD is a 2001 Tahoe with over 200k on it. Our son is about to turn 16 and will be inheriting the Tahoe so we are in the market for an STS-V. We both love performance cars and have decided the STS interests us the most but I have no personal experience with the N* engine. I'm here looking for tips and any advice I can gather to make an informed buying decision. I have found one with 80,000 miles on it and am hoping it can be a reliable driver for years to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: New member shopping for STS-V

Welcome to the Forums, Dustin. You will get many pros and cons on the N* around here. Hope you find what you are looking for.

CadillacLuke24 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Good luck on finding one!

From what I've heard, the RWD Northstars are decently reliable.

Thanks guys.

Would it be smarter to just consider something like an 09-10 CTS with the 3.6? I've read about the timing chain issue but has this issue been resolved with the later models?

Me being a V8 guy I really prefer the STS V for the sound because I would put exhaust on it but if the later model V6 CTS is suggested, I would go that route. My preference is the 04-07 CTS V with the LS motor but my wife does not want to DD a manual trans. I suggested a Pontiac G8 GT because it would have the V8 and is available with the auto but she really likes the Cadillac styling.

Just trying to gather some info from Cadillac owners who knows these cars. I've read about all I can find by searching and still haven't been able to determine if the smarter choice is the V8 STS or a newer 3.6 CTS.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

If you are looking for an STS-V, then you are looking for an '05 or better and they are pretty reliable.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger

If you are looking for an STS-V, then you are looking for an '05 or better and they are pretty reliable.
    STS-v with the LC3 s/c 4.4 n* was produced from 06-09 only as a limited production car

The STS v8 with the LH2 4.6 n* was produced from 2005-2010

STS production ended for the 2011 model year.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Longtime Caddy owners complain of tight fit of cts interior. The Sts is marginally better. U are going from Tahoe down to cts? U should drive a cts/Sts and see how it feels

I've driven a '10 CTS 3.6. It was a nice car and had enough room for us. I have just read about the timing chain issue and wasn't sure if the 3.6 would be good for the long haul. I also know how the internet can blow things out of proportion. Everyone who owns a C6 Z06 thinks they will drop exhaust valves from all the talk on forums. If the 3.6 is a good long term motor it may be the best way to go because you can buy them with fairly low miles.

The draw of the STS is the availability of the V8 with an auto trans. I've found some nice clean cars for sale but the mileage is anywhere from 60k-90k. The mileage doesn't bother me as long as it's been kept up well. I'd be driving a 05ish CTS V if it was available in the auto. I know the LS motors and know they can run well into the 200k mile range when maintained well.

Me being a gearhead, the STS V is my favorite but I'm doing plenty of research before I jump into one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.