What would CF do...? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What would CF do...? in General Discussion; Oh, no, say it ain't so, Dave!...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: What would CF do...?

Oh, no, say it ain't so, Dave!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

CadillacLuke24 likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Or go with #8 lol.
    I ever come across a significant amount of money that Eldo will be turning more heads than Adrianna Lima walking down the street in a bikini.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Simmer down, boys, or CTSCHICK will break out her ruler and settle this here and now! As far as the topic of this thread goes, I get what John is saying, but I also see Drew's point. I've had Rebecca for 13 years now. I've loved her, been exasperated with her, spent more on her than any rational human being would ever consider, but I'd never think of putting her away for five years. I'd miss her too much! In fact, though I really should have kept Babe here at the house since she still needs work, I chose to keep Rebecca here and put Babe away in off-site storage because I knew I'd be depressed without her here. If you feel you need something else to distract you for a while, John, by all means, go for it! YOLO, as the kids say. But, if you think you can live without the Caddy for 5 years, it's probably time to let it go.
    I get what you are saying. I still love the caddy and could never sell it nor do I want to. I do miss having a fun car to drive a lot of the time. The caddy I love, but it's not particularly fun to drive. I loved having my 1995 Impala SS cause it was not only a large car like I like, it was Fun to drive. The caddy is more nostalgic right now. A lot of great memories tied to that car. I took it to prom, college graduation, weddings, funerals, every family get together, taught my 12 year old nephew to drive in it this summer. Someday I will hand it down to someone else in the family (hopefully my kids if I ever get married again). That is what that car is for. I am on the fence cause it would be nice to see the paint shine again, it runs great, shift like new, and the interior is clean, but I am picky so it will cost 15K just for the body work and paint, I know that. Tough call. I spent some money on it this spring to see if I could get excited, changed the hubcaps, put the CB-fone in it, tune up fixed the tranny leak that has been going on since 2007. It worked until Car Craft when I started coveting other cars that seemed more fun.

My Friend Herb (a certified mechanic) and I were talking last night about it. He wants a crack at the engine and what I feel is a lack of power. It runs great, idles great, has been getting OK gas mileage lately (11-12) but I swear it had more getup and go ten years ago. It could be my imagination, but who knows. They were trying to get me to do the Dyno at Car Craft, but I was afraid it wouldn't break 120 HP so I chickened out! :-P

I am going to Charlotte next year to visit a buddy, I want to make it a road trip in a cool car, so if I do it in the Caddy I got some work ahead of me this winter, and about $1000 in gas for the trip! Would be fun though.

~HJ

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    If you have no debt and have plenty of play money, why are you buggin'?

I'd be interested in projects that up the value.
    brandondeleo likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN View Post
    I get what you are saying. I still love the caddy and could never sell it nor do I want to. I do miss having a fun car to drive a lot of the time. The caddy I love, but it's not particularly fun to drive. I loved having my 1995 Impala SS cause it was not only a large car like I like, it was Fun to drive. The caddy is more nostalgic right now. A lot of great memories tied to that car. I took it to prom, college graduation, weddings, funerals, every family get together, taught my 12 year old nephew to drive in it this summer. Someday I will hand it down to someone else in the family (hopefully my kids if I ever get married again). That is what that car is for. I am on the fence cause it would be nice to see the paint shine again, it runs great, shift like new, and the interior is clean, but I am picky so it will cost 15K just for the body work and paint, I know that. Tough call. I spent some money on it this spring to see if I could get excited, changed the hubcaps, put the CB-fone in it, tune up fixed the tranny leak that has been going on since 2007. It worked until Car Craft when I started coveting other cars that seemed more fun.

My Friend Herb (a certified mechanic) and I were talking last night about it. He wants a crack at the engine and what I feel is a lack of power. It runs great, idles great, has been getting OK gas mileage lately (11-12) but I swear it had more getup and go ten years ago. It could be my imagination, but who knows. They were trying to get me to do the Dyno at Car Craft, but I was afraid it wouldn't break 120 HP so I chickened out! :-P

I am going to Charlotte next year to visit a buddy, I want to make it a road trip in a cool car, so if I do it in the Caddy I got some work ahead of me this winter, and about $1000 in gas for the trip! Would be fun though.

~HJ
    120HP It all makes total sense, because I'm a lot the same way. I like what I have, but I'll go to shows and see other stuff and start lusting in my heart, as Mr Carter used to say. You're totally right that the 75 is not a fun car to drive in the way the SS is because, well, it's a 75 Cadillac. It wasn't designed for that kind of fun. And it's probably not your imagination that the car has lost power over time. You've driven it a lot over the years, and engines do wear out and loose compression and power. A mild overhaul with a little massaging would do wonders to wake that old 500 up, and lord knows there's no shortage of aftermarket parts to make that happen. I do think the road trip is a fabulous idea. Get that car out on the open road where she belongs, and I'll bet the love affair springs back. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the right decision for you. I really can't say any of the options you listed to start are bad ideas. Except maybe #1, coz interest rates suck!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Well John, almost all the posters here are right.

As someone who just went through a vehicle purchase that diverted funds and time away from my Talisman I agree that the money should have been spent on it's restoration. A small part of me regrets that. A very small part. The move to buy a third car was stupid on my part. It also was the best move I could have made.

Having a running Cadillac that is smaller and easier to drive, and park, has put the wind back in my sails. I was getting stagnated on the 74 and now I can't wait to get back on it. The 87 is close enough to it that it is a great motivator. I get the compliments on it where ever I go, and it reminds me how much I want people to see a Talisman on the road.

I will be able to build my funds up again over the winter, and as I do continue the work I started and can complete myself on it. Sometimes one step back is just the head start you need forward.

From my experience I would recommend option 5 or a variation of it. I also don't know what fun to drive means to you, it is so different for everyone. You could consider some engine and suspension mods to your existing car. Perhaps you could get it to the point where you would find the spark again. Then you would not suffer the diversion of funds that I have. You are at an advantage having a driver quality car already. If mine were at that point I probably would have it completely restored by now!
    77CDV and greencadillacmatt like this.

Just in case #5 is still in play.....http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/4145691077.html

Oh boy, now I did it, this whole thread will now be moved to classified!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

If your retirement account is healthy for your age and you just want to screw around, the Impala SS is the way to go. When you tire of it, you can still resell it for what you paid. It's a no-lose option that's also a good time.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    If your retirement account is healthy for your age and you just want to screw around, the Impala SS is the way to go. When you tire of it, you can still resell it for what you paid. It's a no-lose option that's also a good time.
    Good point, the 90's Impala SS has been holding its value steady for the past few years, provided you don't trash it.

Just how damn bad is the rust, trim, and chrome on your pink 75 Caddy? I know she's a "well preserved, but driven" example, so honestly if you learn a bit of body work, learn how to strip the old paint, do a bit of sanding, body filler, ie you put in about 100 hours of prep work on that boat, you could easily shave 2-4k off that body shop estimate.

Now if you just want to haul ass, go buy a clean, unmolested, 98-02 Camaro Z28 with the LS1. A NICE, clean, unmolested one will be hard to find, but should run you 6 to 9k. If you don't care about miles, provenance, number of owners, etc, you can buy these things real cheap, like 4-6k.

If you want a car that goes left and right fast, but is slow in straight line, go buy a 91-01ish Miata, they are dirt cheap, $2500 buys you a decently clean, higher mileage early 90's car. Which miles on this car I don't care about, if you change the oil, the motor/gearbox/rear end last forever. Same thing with the body, keep it out of salt, it lasts forever. Tops don't last forever though, if its on its original top and been driven, expect $500-600 to replace that. Avoid 1990 and early 91 Miatas with serial numbers below 209446, they had a shorter bolt that connected the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft, ie that bolt breaks and causes total engine destruction. Of course if you have documentation on one of those early Miatas that the engine was replaced at the dealer or by a reputable mechanic at some point, go for it.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

The picture below is of the visable rust, which is now a hole. To fix the car properly, I need new fenders, doors, and if not complete quarter panels, complete wheel arch replacement, replace lower front and rear quarter. The rockers are solid and the floor/trunk is great. For a Minnesota car it is somewhat clean. Painting it without properly fixing it, is like throwing money down a rat hole. Plus even if I half ass it, I bet it will still be 7K to get painted.

On a plus note, I got a new bumper for free at car craft this year. Some guy who was building a hooptie lowrider 75 asked me if I wanted it. Before spring I need to swap out my rust chrome plate popping old one. Score!

No Camaro or Miata for me. Camaro's have never appealed to me, and my dislike for Japanese souless automobiles aside, I have driven a Miata and at my height and size I felt like the car was trying to merge with me every minute behind the wheel. I could never drive one with a top up, my eyes were looking into the windshield header the whole time.
    77CDV likes this.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

If you want an Impala SS or Roadmaster "GS" (or even a '77-79 CDV) to work on and keep indefinitely as another car, then getting one makes more sense. However, as someone who has $20K sunk into two LT1 RMWs, it's not a good place to be. If you're just getting it for a hobby, to just get rid of it in a couple of years, I wouldn't waste the time or money -- just put it into the '75 CDV.

Sorry, but I definitely wouldn't paint that Suburban.

Or just keep saving it (whether for the '75 or something else).
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

I know there is sentimental attachment going here, but it sounds like you would be better served both financially and from a longevity standpoint by finding a nice, rust free western or southern car. Ten fifteen thousand would go a long way in finding something really nice, with a good future ahead of it.

hueterm is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): See my sig...

Doubtful that will happen for him, Or... I'm in the same situation w/my '70 GP. While I love the '69-72 GPs on their own merits, my whole point in having one, is having this one (as it was the car I learned to drive in, etc.). I think his grandfather owned this one, which is why he still has it.
    NOW
    '04 Escalade EXT (8/07-?)
    '70 Grand Prix Model J (4/09-?)
    '95 Roadmaster Estate (4/10-?)
    '94 Roadmaster Estate (5/10-?)
    '08 DTS Platinum (2/11-?)
    '97 Riviera S/C ('06-08 and 8/11-?)
    '85 Toronado Caliente (4/14-?)

PAST
    '92 Toronado ('95-99)
    '99 Grand Prix GTP ('99-02)
    '02 Avalanche North Face ('02-04)
    '93 Roadmaster ('04-07)
    '04 Avalanche Z71 ('04-07)
    '00 Eldorado ETC ('08-11)
    '95 Deville Concours ('07-11)

NEXT
    '71-72 Riviera
    '86-91 M-B 560SEC

^^^ Yeah, I know, and I can't fault either one of you for your preference. Just putting in my two cents.

If I were a very large guy, like John, I'd go for a mid sixties Riviera or Toronado or even a '77 Eldorado. Something big enough to hauled the freight and cool enough to do it in style!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.