What the heck is Dexos?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What the heck is Dexos? in General Discussion; Specifically what is different about Dexos oil compared to ordinary dino oil or synthetic? I've searched high and low and ...
    06C6Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 2.0T, C6 Z06, 08 CTD

What the heck is Dexos?

Specifically what is different about Dexos oil compared to ordinary dino oil or synthetic? I've searched high and low and all I can find is, it's wonderful stuff and recommended/required for newer GM engines. What is in it to make it better?
    I'm old school and still use dino oil with Zinc and other friction/wear reducers, in most all of my "older" junk. I even switched from Mobil 1 to dino oil in my LS7. I found the annoying tick went away immediately. It seems all the good stuff has been legislated out of most modern motor oils. Maybe Dexos is our salvation but, I need to know more. Lets hear from you gearheads in the know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Dexos is just oil that meets the standards that GM decided is best for their engines, and passed a few non standard tests.. There are many oils from several brands that meet the standard, in conventional, synthetic blend, and full synthetic.

What's in it? Just like every other oil, a slightly different concoction of additives.

----------

www.gmdexos.com

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Dexos is the Greek equivalent to your cousin Guido...
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Re: What the heck is Dexos?

So basically a licensing scheme from the GM marketing I mean engineering dept?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I love the comment in the Dexos writeup that "just like company (GM) Dexos is global." If the oil distributor is as serious as the corporate parent about being "truly" global the brand is in serious trouble! Wonder if you can actually buy Dexos in Europe or other third world areas?

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    I love the comment in the Dexos writeup that "just like company (GM) Dexos is global." If the oil distributor is as serious as the corporate parent about being "truly" global the brand is in serious trouble! Wonder if you can actually buy Dexos in Europe or other third world areas?

It's not a brand, it's simply an approval. The Dexos icon can be printed on many oil brand's labels distributed throughout the world.

http://gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/de...sedbrands.html

The oils in that list are available on every corner of the earth. Even generic names like Carquest and Autozone are Dexos oils.

Yeah, I get all that, I've read all that about Dexos from GM, but it really tells me nothing. I want to know what's in it and whats not in it, like ZDDP etc. I'm sure its a top secret formula, known only to the license holders that produce the stuff. I just wonder if my old favorite dino oil with the SL specification and 1600PPM ZDDP might out perform it. When the warranty expires of course.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Every bottle of oil with the dexos logo is money in the bank for GM.

This explains the motive behind dexos..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by 06C6Z06 View Post
    Yeah, I get all that, I've read all that about Dexos from GM, but it really tells me nothing. I want to know what's in it and whats not in it, like ZDDP etc. I'm sure its a top secret formula, known only to the license holders that produce the stuff. I just wonder if my old favorite dino oil with the SL specification and 1600PPM ZDDP might out perform it. When the warranty expires of course.
    Well, it hasn't been blowing engines or resulting in increased warranty claims, so I'm guessing it works just fine - just like all of the other oils on the market. As far as the additive formula, I'm not sure.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    It's not a brand, it's simply an approval. The Dexos icon can be printed on many oil brand's labels distributed throughout the world.

http://gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/de...sedbrands.html

The oils in that list are available on every corner of the earth. Even generic names like Carquest and Autozone are Dexos oils.
    Thats because Carquest and Autozone can just buy a already licensed oil and rebrand it. That means 95% of the oils with the dexos logo are basically the same. So you are probably wasting money buying brand names with the dexos logo because the are all the same.
    drewsdeville likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Looks like the SL oils carried a zinc load of 1182 (not "1600") and even the same year group diesel rated oils were in the 1200's.

ZDDP is not a big factor in today's roller cammed engines - and, in excess, it eats the newer catalytic converter guts.

You can always go the aftermarket oil blenders - ASMOIL, JoeGibbsRacing (DrivenOil), and Edelbrock for their "musclecar" oils - but your cat will hate you.

My take is that the DEXOS thing is a warm, fuzzy feelgood by GM - the same as those who obsess because their particular car has a Mobil 1 sticker under the hood.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

http://www.opelclub.com/ZDDP2.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Thats because Carquest and Autozone can just buy a already licensed oil and rebrand it. That means 95% of the oils with the dexos logo are basically the same. So you are probably wasting money buying brand names with the dexos logo because the are all the same.
    Exactly the point! A lot of this is just a matter of which brands have paid for licensing.

There is one exception against using whatever you want - it will be worth isolating actual Dexos labeled oils while your vehicle is under warranty...

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    EVERY oil brand says it offers superior protection. They're all VERY close. In lab tests, one will outperform another in some category. In the real world, it's not enough difference to matter.

My usual suggestion is:

Go to the store, knock all of the bottles of the correct viscosity off of the shelf, and buy the ones pointing at you.

...Or just pick whichever are your favorite color.

Well, it's mute point with the warranty mandate to use Dexos and the Cadillac 4/48 service plan. But I'm curious. I've used the SL oils since they came out, and still run it in my old junk. I've even switched from Mobil 1 in the Vette with the LS7. It made a world of difference in that. It runs smoother , quieter and even has picked up a couple of MPG. There are SL grade oils available from a few small blenders that have 1600PPM ZDDP, though the mainstream oils did have around 1200PPM. There are a lot of other considerations, than just ZDDP. It may not be a issue with the newer roller engines, but if one oil prevents wear better than another, why not use it?
    It's just one of those things I need to know, What the heck is Dexos oil?

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Every bottle of oil with the dexos logo is money in the bank for GM.

This explains the motive behind dexos..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ooorrr the dealer just uses what he has on the shelf. How would the consumer know?

I would be curious to see what the graph looks like for 2011 and 2012.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.