If you had to choose a Vette? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, If you had to choose a Vette? in General Discussion; I'm greedy, I want two: first (as a collectible and weekend special), a C2; second, and for more robust everyday ...
    C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

Re: If you had to choose a Vette?

I'm greedy, I want two: first (as a collectible and weekend special), a C2; second, and for more robust everyday use, a C7 (or the last editon available, as time goes by). And addition to being greedy, add dreaming; cause it ain't going to happen (I fear) as I'm not getting any younger and I'm not getting any richer.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

I really don't care for Covette's but if i had to choose or i was going to buy one... A C4 1991-96 White with red leather to match the Z28.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I like the looks of the C4. I was waiting for my wife come out to my car after having picked up my daughter-in-law's Kia, and this guy driving a dark green C7 Corvette coupe kept driving past me and turning around and passing me again and again. There are several car fanciers who are neighbors of my son, some with those double decker garages with lifts. There is a late model Ferrari next door and a Ford GT (GT 40 look alike) and two Vipers that live down the street, so I was surprised to see this old guy in the new Corvette. I had seen pictures before but had not seen one in person. My impression was that it was "substantial" meaning to me it looked heavy and not in the least nimble .... just kind of a big "clunk" of a car. I kept thinking, "no wonder it needs all the horsepower, that thing must weigh a ton." Not my cup of tea!

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    . My impression was that it was "substantial" meaning to me it looked heavy and not in the least nimble .... just kind of a big "clunk" of a car. I kept thinking, "no wonder it needs all the horsepower, that thing must weigh a ton." Not my cup of tea!
    Most cars weigh over a ton.
    c7 Corvette tips the scales at 3444 lbs. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
    Puts it in average weight for a higher end sports car and far lighter than a lot of cars being built today.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    If i had to? Then id go with a 60's Mako . other than that id never want any corvette

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Man for all you guys picking a C4, have you ever drove one??? I had a 1999 Z28, automatic, LS1 v8 for about 4 years. I was just well, bored with it after 4 years, thought I wanted a Vette. With the cash I had at the time, it was either a ragged out C5 or a nice C4. Test drove a 1995 C4 with 50k miles on it, really nice condition, man what a disappointment IMO. I know everybody harps on the 4th gen f-body for build quality, but my Z28 with 130k miles on it felt like a tank compared to that POS rattle trap. The build quality was just atrocious in that car IMO. The steering had the same "numb" feeling like my Camaro, and it was a good deal slower than my LS1 car, especially at 70+mph.

As for Corvettes I'd want, #1 is the 1963 Split window coupe. Such a timeless design IMO. Just lots of neat little details all around that car, the interior is beautiful as well, something I can't say about any Corvette built after 1967. I also love the C2 rag tops, just beautiful cars.

The great thing about the C2 Vettes is you get the timeless styling, and they actually have some balls under the hood. I love similar vintage Austin Healey, MG, Triumps, Alfas, etc but man the Vette, even with the basic 327 V8 flat out moves compared to those little 4 cylinder British cars.

As for a more modern Vette, give me a C7 any day of the week. The C6 is an amazing performance machine, but at this time, its been out forever, time to move on to the new car. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I'll be lusting after a C6 Z06 or ZR1, but right now the C7 really has my eye.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ I didn't say the C7 was actually a big clunk of a car, just that seeing the one I saw left me with the impression that the C7 was a tank!

You can have all those fifties and sixties British roadsters .... neat to look at in magazines and books but pretty lame to drive and even worse to live with. I'll take the Alfa Giulia, make mine a 1966 1600, please.

I have heard C4's were poorly put together rattle traps, never drove one. I just like the way they look (like in magazines and stuff!).

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

I rode in a C4 if that counts? Its not that bad i remember it being pretty fast!

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
    A brand new, Red Jewel Tintcoat C7 tuned by Vengeance Racing of Canton, GA.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Man for all you guys picking a C4, have you ever drove one??? I had a 1999 Z28, automatic, LS1 v8 for about 4 years. I was just well, bored with it after 4 years, thought I wanted a Vette. With the cash I had at the time, it was either a ragged out C5 or a nice C4. Test drove a 1995 C4 with 50k miles on it, really nice condition, man what a disappointment IMO. I know everybody harps on the 4th gen f-body for build quality, but my Z28 with 130k miles on it felt like a tank compared to that POS rattle trap. The build quality was just atrocious in that car IMO. The steering had the same "numb" feeling like my Camaro, and it was a good deal slower than my LS1 car, especially at 70+mph.

As for Corvettes I'd want, #1 is the 1963 Split window coupe. Such a timeless design IMO. Just lots of neat little details all around that car, the interior is beautiful as well, something I can't say about any Corvette built after 1967. I also love the C2 rag tops, just beautiful cars.

The great thing about the C2 Vettes is you get the timeless styling, and they actually have some balls under the hood. I love similar vintage Austin Healey, MG, Triumps, Alfas, etc but man the Vette, even with the basic 327 V8 flat out moves compared to those little 4 cylinder British cars.

As for a more modern Vette, give me a C7 any day of the week. The C6 is an amazing performance machine, but at this time, its been out forever, time to move on to the new car. Maybe in 20 or 30 years I'll be lusting after a C6 Z06 or ZR1, but right now the C7 really has my eye.
    Agreed! I personally find the C4 extremely ugly but the interior is god awful. Not to mention getting in and out of it takes some work. No thanks.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Agreed! I personally find the C4 extremely ugly but the interior is god awful. Not to mention getting in and out of it takes some work. No thanks.
    See, I find the C4 dead sexy on the outside. Its a very clean, modern shape IMO. Its just that on the inside and driving the car, it felt like a gimmick. It was a 1995 and had such cool features as ABS brakes, 2 airbags, power leather seats adjustable in a thousand different ways, adjustable suspension dampening, a Plexiglass targa roof, mongo staggered 17" wheel/tire package, CD player with a three band equalizer, a trip computer that told you mpg, miles to empty, etc, this Vette had all kinds of trick options.

Yet everything about that car felt cheap. All those trick features felt like they were executed in the cheapest possible manner. The seat leather, junk. The leather in my Camaro looked nicer. The stereo, junk, the stock one in my Camaro sounded nicer. The gauge cluster, ugly junk, the simple dual analog speedo/tach in my Camaro was more functional, looked better. The sound deadning, the Camaro was quieter with a lot less tire roar. Engine, no doubt that's why I DID NOT BUY a C4, the LT1 was way down on power vs the LS1. That LS1 just sings at that 4000-6000rpm range, right where the LT1 was running out of steam.
    orconn likes this.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    90% of the reason I'd want a C4 is the exterior styling. It's a gorgeous design - clean, sleek, subtly aggressive. There're a lot of other cars I'd rather sit in and drive. The C4 does have a sort of goofy looking interior, they're not the fastest or best handling cars, definitely not the most refined, and quality/fit and finish of the interior isn't the greatest (but that was a trait of the Corvette for a few generations, considering their price). For me, it would be about the look, and of course, there are plenty of upgrades possible, including an LS swap .

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I don't know I just was never a fan. I always preferred the C5 to it in every way possible. It's sleeker with a nicer interior (though still plasticky and horrible), more room and more power. The C6 is a great car as well and I enjoyed my time driving one. The C7 is just sexy and reminds me very much of a Ferrari.

06C6Z06 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '14 ATS 2.0T, C6 Z06, 08 CTD

I had to choose this one: 06 Z06
    4459.jpg

Awesome car, stupid fast.

neurotictim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, stock. Blacked-Out 2007 CTS 3.6 "Odd One"
    C5 Z06. I fell in love with them on day one, and when I'm at a point in my life where I can have a play car, I will find one. Black, charcoal, or white. I don't care if we're at C12 in current models, the C5s are gorgeous.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.