Does anyone like the high sided, skinny windowed, fastback styling of today?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Does anyone like the high sided, skinny windowed, fastback styling of today? in General Discussion; I was talking to some young friends of mine (in their) mid thirties) who were commenting about how they really ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Does anyone like the high sided, skinny windowed, fastback styling of today?

I was talking to some young friends of mine (in their) mid thirties) who were commenting about how they really dislike their new cars. Their biggest complaint was the high sides with their narrow window slits and the lack of rear visibility that necessitate rear view cameras. All three said they feel their new cars fell claustrophic and would love to go back to their airier BMW three series of several years back. What do you think, do you like the feel of the current fad in auto design or would you prefer a lighter feel with better visibility?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: Does anyone like the high sided, skinny windowed, fastback styling of today?

I think the current designs are more dictated by Crash standards, aerodynamics and pedestrian safety more than any actual design fad.
    There will probably have to be new engineering, building techniques or changes in material to change the current designs.

GM wise I remember watching something with Ed Welburn talking about some new GM break through that will allow thinner Pillars on future GM Vehicles.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Re: Does anyone like the high sided, skinny windowed, fastback styling of today?

A lot of the cars I see on the road make me think there is a secret contest for the auto designers to see who can design the ugliest car.
    orconn and talismandave like this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

They look cool, but I agree that at times they seem claustrophobic. Dad's 03 DeVille seems more closed in than A does.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Not a fan. Both my 69 and 77, and even my Eldo, are all way easier to see out of and to drive than my DTS. And yet my DTS is way better than any of the new cars out there. It just seems the cars get more closed in every year.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I embrace modern car design as a good change. Most of the 90's cars had the bloated, jellybean look that was terrible then and still terrible today. I like the sleek look of new cars and really think the new Cadillac design language is impressive. I also like how BMW redesigned the 3 and 4 Series. Chevrolet's new Impala is an impressive looking car and I would have no problem driving a new Buick product.
    brandondeleo likes this.

gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

I love the styling of the 2014 Impala, but since I haven't driven one, I can't assess the visibility. It's probably not nearly as good as what I have with Betty.

By contrast, consider this 1960 Impala I saw in Portland yesterday:

Pretty much 360º visibility.

99flhr is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

For the ultimate in looking out tank slot windows, try a Toyota FJ, like driving a mobile bunker.
    Aron9000 and CadillacLuke24 like this.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Visibility is an exercise in futility. Drivers today just focus on their smartphones when they drive. Cars just need good forward vision so you can watch out for them.

The new cars look cool, but I like my daily driver wagon. I have 360 degrees of mostly uninterrupted view.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I miss big chrome bumpers for those distracted drivers....rubbing is racing...
    But yes I don't care for 95% of the designs currently coming out, blah blah blah all look the same for the most part.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I miss being able to look out over your hood and SEE the edges of your cars. Also I miss the visibility. My caddy and lesabre have awesome visibility. The equinox has very poor side/ rear visibility (the second row seats block the entire back/ cargo side windows....makes backing out nearly impossible....so I leave them folded down). I think its blind spots are worse than the conversion van.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Out of the cars I've driven, the one with the best visibility has to be my Vigor. The doors are short, so the glass starts low. The dashboard is VERY low, as is the hood. The A pillars are super thin, the windows are frameless with a thin B pillars, and the rear window wraps around, taking up space that the C pillars would normally occupy.

Visibility is excellent in all directions. In comparison, modern cars have portholes, lol.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Gun slits. Looks like they were designed by the guys who designed the Brink's truck!

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I like the looks and the safety they may bring. But indeed the view out is impractical up to dangerous. Especially the fatter A-pillars that block out complete cars at intersections or crossing pedestrians and bicycles.

South Shore 2 Door is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD Premium Coupe

When driving a luxury FASTBACK of today, use common sense and care in regards to the visibility issues.

Have always digged the FASTBACK look, and to add a luxury element only adds to the overall FASTBACK Fun Factor, high body and all !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.