Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Glad to see the first geration (76-79) Seville gaining fans here on CF

621 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  orconn 
#1 · (Edited)
Been over in the classic section and have been happy to see folks taking notice of and buying first generation Sevilles. As I have said many times, my 1976 Seville, bought new and owned for 8 years, was one of my all time favorite cars.

In my opinion, and the opinion of many of the world's top designers at the time, The first generation Seville was one of the best designs of the seventies. To many of us it harked back to the visual appeal of the late thirties, early forties Sixty Specials.

These Sevilles were very popular on both coasts because they combined a tasteful classic appearance with a degree of quality materials and assembly not seen in a Cadillac for several decades, in a smaller size, yet with the comfort and accessories of a much larger car. The first generation Seville joined the Mercedes 450SE and Jaguar XJ6 as the "Wilshire Taxi" of the seventies. Many folks, like myself, kept their prized first generation Seville many years after they would have normally traded it off. There was the factor that since it didn't look like anything else on the road, at the time, and it held up so well, that owners were reluctant to trade for a lesser vehicle from what was offered in the eighties.

It seems that appreciation for these special Cadillacs has been long overdue, so it is great to see them begin to be appreciated and restored by a new generation!

See less See more
#6 ·
First generation Sevilles were primarily bought of the East and West Coast (Southern California loved them). I don't think they were that popular in the Mid West where larger cars were still the order of the day. I don't think they had much of a following here in central Virginia either; I don't remember seeing one during the seven years I have lived here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.