2014 Cadillac ELR Priced Above Tesla Model S at $76,000
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 2014 Cadillac ELR Priced Above Tesla Model S at $76,000 in General Discussion; ...
    AutoGuide.com is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): None

2014 Cadillac ELR Priced Above Tesla Model S at $76,000

Cadillacís version of the Chevrolet Volt will go on sale next January, but dealers might have a hard time convincing people to buy them.

The brand announced today that pricing will start at $75,995 including delivery and without any tax incentives. A maximum $7,500 tax credit can serve to soften that blow, but not by very much.

Essentially a sportier and more luxurious version of the Volt, the car comes with a 1.4-liter range-extending gasoline engine just like its much less expensive sibling. For perspective, Chevrolet will sell you two Volts with change to spare before Cadillac will part with one ELR. Even the Tesla Model S is cheaper with a $71,070 base price also excluding federal incentives.

Adding to the insanity, the only vehicles in Cadillacís entire lineup that cost more than the base ELR are a loaded CTS-V Wagon and members of the Escalade family. Even then, the flagship SUV carries a lower starting price than the ELR. Even the Escalade Hybrid carries a starting MSRP roughly $500 lower.
    Read the complete story about 2014 Cadillac ELR pricing at AutoGuide.com.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Re: 2014 Cadillac ELR Priced Above Tesla Model S at $76,000

Man I love Cadillac, but that would have to be WAY NICER than anything Cadillac has out now for me to consider it over a Tesla.

I've sat in/driven a Tesla, man that is one HELL of a machine. The acceleration is BRUTAL, you never thought an electric car could be faster than a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. If you are prudent, the range is 300 miles. Granted it isn't a road trip machine, but that is more than enough to drive from the far suburbs on one side of my city to the far suburbs on the other side and back on one charge with still 150-200 miles to go, something you can't do with a stupid Nissan Leaf.

IMO it feels like you're driving the concept car from the Detroit Auto Show, not a compromised/watered down production version. The fit/finish is beautiful, the interior looks like nothing else on the market, really the way its assembled/styled reminds me of George Jetson's take on a Rolls Royce.

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    75k is a shame...did Cadillac not learn with the XLR?

Not to bash too much, it is a beautiful car and I would be interested in a none electric edition, but just too much change for this one. Not sure if the range/mileage is all that impressive (as compared to my beater insight, which gets 60mpg around Houston), so the electric feature is out...it has always come back to the looks and excellent interior...that is what the ELR has going for it.

Will it be enough?

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

Wow, that's such a shame. I would take a Tesla in a split second at that price.
    Koooop and 77CDV like this.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

The Tesla looks nice but from what I have heard from people that have test drove one I may avoid it. Also, if you want a striped down tesla it can be had for 60,400 but if you want the go fast option and the tech package it doesn't take much to get the price up to 100K (just did this yesterday).

The fact that one of them caught fire doesn't bother me, shit happens. The person survived and with the precautions Tesla took the fire was limited to only one of the battery compartments. Pictures make it look worse than it was.

Looks sharp but still too much for a 40 mile range without assistance.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

The styling just doesn't get it for me. Much prefer the Tesla, al though the Tesla leaves something to be desired in a car at that prices styling.

Not surprised at these electric cars performance though, if the miles per charge can be made more competitive with gas powered cars, electric is really the way to go .... fast, efficient power that done right will out do a gas reciprocating engine any day!

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Heavy incentives, IMO that's what will happen to this car! Cadillac has been doing his for many years. They put a 60-80k price tags on cars and then they put incentives on them! I don't understand this policy!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Actually it makes sense, sort of, price it like a Cadillac even though it's really a Buick! You can fool some of the people some of the time .... and apparently Cadillac buyers most of the time.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by brandondeleo View Post
    Wow, that's such a shame. I would take a Tesla in a split second at that price.
    This right here.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I think they are crazy if they think they can compete with the Tesla with this car though I really do not think they are but the price will definitely get it compared to the Tesla.

Other than that with prices I think GM is playing a numbers game with the newer Cadillac models for higher Residual value's and cheaper leasing prices to compete with the other luxury makers.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

I never sat in either one of them. But seeing the pictures and reading the reviews of both cars on materials and style I like the ELR's interior better. It is just a shame the ELR's range is 300 miles just like the Tesla. For now the ELR has the advantage fueling up and continuing a long trip is a lot quicker and more flexible than with a Tesla. But as soon the grid for electrical rechargers have improved Tesla will have an advantage. By the time the grid has drastically increased batteries will be improved as well I expect. By that time Cadillac will have another EV as well.

If I would be in the market for an EV or hybrid I would chose for the ELR to be more flexible. I also expect the interior of the ELR to be of better quality and more luxurious than the Tesla. But that's because I make long trips regularly.
    But since I need luggage capacity along with range I will not be in the market for an EV for now or soon. I will need to stick to a turbo diesel wagon.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Cadillac is selling expensive cars again. Get used to it.
    ryannel2003 likes this.

brandondeleo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): A dead Chrysler, a dead Cadillac, and a living Chrysler.

I saw that Cadillac has released its online configuring site for the 2014 CTS, and for fun I built a loaded CTS-V Premium and it ended up being less than that at $72,640. I know it's silly comparing the pricing of an electric car to a normal car, but still.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

I've no problem with Cadillac (or any other make) building expensive cars, so long as the car justifies the price. I'm not convinced the ELR does.

Johnxlrv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You don't like the XLR price, by a vette...you don't like the ELR price, buy a volt...OK, I get it...Cadillac is just filling a segment.
    It is just a bit maddening that such a nice looking...smaller platform coupe has to price out so high (I would opt for the seat option), when the milage is not so great that one would instead choose a vsport or a v for less money.

It is clear that the differential milage gas savings would take a long time to offset the price difference, so what is the exact reason one would buy the ELR?

it is new (but with a number of changes to a few ATS/CTS V models being hinted at and the emiraj, makes me want to wait and see). In truth, I see some market entry (timing and price) mistakes by Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.