Which cost you more each month - Mortgage Payment or Healthcare Payment? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which cost more per month? Your Medical Insurance or your Mortgage?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • My Medical Insurance costs more than my Mortgage

2 15.38%
  • My Mortgage costs more than my Medical Insurance

3 23.08%
  • My job provides my Medical Insurance, so I don't care

6 46.15%
  • I have no Medical Insurance so I don't care

2 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Which cost you more each month - Mortgage Payment or Healthcare Payment? in General Discussion; Self-employed. My insurance is $73 for basic coverage + prescription. Rent is $1130....
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: Which cost you more each month - Mortgage Payment or Healthcare Payment?

Self-employed. My insurance is $73 for basic coverage + prescription.

Rent is $1130.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    Self-employed. My insurance is $73 for basic coverage + prescription. Rent is $1130.
    Wait until you're a few years older with a wife and kids.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Unfortunately we are sheep and probably deserve to be fleeced.

It's absolutely ridiculous for health insurance to cover every mundane routine visit which are the vast majority of insurance use. Why not use the same model for hunger? Lets have mandatory hunger insurance and just have a co-pay or deductible at restaurants and grocery stores? Then we can pay for an insurance employee to review those meals to make sure they are covered by the policy and all the 'i's are dotted and 't's crossed on the forms. And unemployment will be cured by the people restaurants will have to hire to complete and submit the forms. This is exactly what we are doing with health insurance. The overhead for routine checkups, immunizations, etc.. cost more than the care does. Insurance is for the unexpected, not the routine.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I remember when we actually used our car and home insurance when we had a loss. Today we are told that if we have an insured loss and actually put in a claim that we will either lose our coverage or our premiums will sky rocket. It has been this way for more than 20 years. Despite its' high cost these insurance coverages are only for "catastrophic" losses not for the significant but only less costly losses.

Although there are adjustment to the premium we pay, taking into account our age and driving accident experience, all of us who have auto insurance are still paying for younger driver's higher accident rate and higher claims against their policies. Even though our own particular houses are in an area known to be relatively safe, we still pay part of our premiums for those who live in riskier locations. Spreading the risk is what insurance is all about.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): none

$1130 for rent???? God lord... at that rate, why not just make it a mortgage and at least have some equity to show for it.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    $1130 for rent???? God lord... at that rate, why not just make it a mortgage and at least have some equity to show for it.
    Some places are like that. Gillette, Wyoming for example.
    77CDV likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

The flip side is he's not (directly) responsible for property taxes, property insurance, property maintanence, and a whole slew of other crap that comes with home ownership. Plus, renting makes you more mobile; you're not tied to an house that you'd have to dispose of if you want to move on. Just give 30 days notice and you're gone. Not your problem. So for some people, even if they can afford a house, renting is the more attractive option.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Pay far more for healthcare (but I'm old...near 60) than anything else.....and it's going to go up even more.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    Self-employed. My insurance is $73 for basic coverage + prescription.

Rent is $1130.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post
    Wait until you're a few years older with a wife and kids.
    lol, no wife but the way he sleeps around I see Child support payments in his future.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    The flip side is he's not (directly) responsible for property taxes, property insurance, property maintanence, and a whole slew of other crap that comes with home ownership. Plus, renting makes you more mobile; you're not tied to an house that you'd have to dispose of if you want to move on. Just give 30 days notice and you're gone. Not your problem. So for some people, even if they can afford a house, renting is the more attractive option.
    I agree with all of that however I don't like dealing with Land lords and the write offs are nice.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

My long term plans are up in the air. I have no intention of buying a home until I'm ready to settle down in one place and start a family.

The downside with STL is that while this is an overall affordable city, the nicest neighborhoods with reasonable access to the city are quite expensive. I love the suburbs but want my drives to the city (where our car lot is located) to be no more than 30 minutes.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    If i didnt work in IT and was still in the hotel industry i wouldnt have been able to keep my Eldorado..especially now that im divorced with a 4 & 6 yr old

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville
    $1,130 won't rent a doghouse in my world, let alone a place to live.
    77CDV likes this.

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
    Quote Originally Posted by Koooop View Post

$1,130 won't rent a doghouse in my world, let alone a place to live.
    I had a fairly nice house on 1/4 acre I rented for $800

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
    When I was paying for my house years ago was 1600 a month for the Montly payment nice 4 bedroom 3 baths 3 car garage and huge fenced yard

There was a time when My healthcare cost as much as 5000 a month or more when I did not have insurnace they couldn't get anyone to cover me as a child with all my issues.

The diet time I was ever on a policy was my dads business insurnace threw cozy I think it was called where paying 700 a month and a 20k deductable per year around 1700 a month is what that comes out to back then plus 1000 in medication a month easily so yeah healthcare was hella more than mortgage

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Quote Originally Posted by STS_Seville_Hunter View Post
    I had a fairly nice house on 1/4 acre I rented for $800
    You live in DHS. It's a rather more affordable area of SoCal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.