To quote lynyrd skynyrd : Ohh ohh that smell
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Henskelly1960
  • 1 Post By talismandave
  • 2 Post By CadillacLuke24
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, To quote lynyrd skynyrd : Ohh ohh that smell in General Discussion; Greets, Looking at used cars and came across one with an unusal odor inside. I can only describe it as ...
    DJSG3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Seville SLS - '03 Deville DTS

To quote lynyrd skynyrd : Ohh ohh that smell

Greets,

Looking at used cars and came across one with an unusal odor inside. I can only describe it as that smell you notice when you open a refrigerator thats been turned off for awhile. Any ideas on the source of said smell? My first thought would be the air conditioner, but the smell is there prior to turning the car on.

DJSG3

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: To quote lynyrd skynyrd : Ohh ohh that smell

Somebody died in it.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Car was in a flood.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Either way, you probably cannot get rid of that smell without gutting the interior and replacing it.

----------

Or Maybe...

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

If the car has been in a flood the problems with the car will be far more than the smell!

Henskelly1960 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac DTS, 1986 and 1970 Fleetwood 75 series Limos
    I'll never forget one of my first road trips when I was a brand new 16 year old driver, took the beater '85 crown Victoria old lady car down to Pittsburgh for a Peter Paul and Mary concert (in 2003, I was a strange teenager and likely the youngest person at the concert haha) I remember wanting to take my big old Lincoln continental but the parentals wouldn't let me lest something happen to it with me being a good but still inexperienced driver...anyway, I didn't realize I had the climate control set to a/c and the a/c didn't function but the pump was running non stop for about 4 hours of intense highway and city driving, it finally blew up, the car was smoking under the hood pretty bad, and I don't think I will ever forget the smell that permeated the car from this incident. I had pulled into a very curious metal working shop seemingly run entirely by big burly women, I will never forget this day haha. The car was fine once the smoke stopped and the a/c was shut off, but the smell was incredible. It had real staying power too, you could still smell it inside for years, we didn't care because no one really drove the car after that, I stuck to the Continental and my 63 Thunderbird for a few years after... But long story short maybe that's what you're smelling, it was rather "warm disused fridge" or kind of rotten egg smelling, but almost worse. Of course now I associate that smell with good memories of my disastrous first road trip, I almost smile while I cringe on the rare occasion I am met with a similar odour. But I don't have a sensitive nose, I almost enjoy skunk smell, drives people insane when I open the windows! Still wouldn't wanna be sprayed by one and I've never run a/c in a car with an ageing climate control system again...
    70eldo and 77CDV like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

My guess would be spilt milk, don't cry over it though.

Pull carpet and pad and scrub floor and clean carpet with extractor machine with odor absorbing carpet cleaner (both sides, do it, flip it and do again.) and spray all down with Fabreeze and I bet it will be gone.

Lysol sprayed in the intake under windshield is a good way to get rid of AC/heater odors, try that first. follow that a week later by fabreeze, Lysol will kill bacteria and the fabreeze will eliminate odor.
    Faith76 likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Are cars really resold that people die in? There is a strange stain that showed up on my passenger seat about a week after I had the car. No smell, but looks like it could be blood.

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Are cars really resold that people die in? There is a strange stain that showed up on my passenger seat about a week after I had the car. No smell, but looks like it could be blood.
    It was Carl's Jr.

DJSG3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '97 Seville SLS - '03 Deville DTS

I'm not planning on buying that car, just never met that particular odor in a car before. Doubt it was spilled milk, car has been detailed inside and out but still got an odor that turns my stomach. Sad part is out of all the cars I've looked at so far that's the best one. I've seen so many white smokers, oil drippers etc. that I'm starting to believe that a good/sound working Nstar is just a myth. Here's my favorite advert so far :

"THIS OLD CADDY RUNS SHIFTS AND DRIVES NICELY.THERE IS A COUPLE OF WARNING LIGHTS COMING ON THAT SAY,LOW COOLANT,SUSPENSION SYSTEM,ETC.THIS CAR SEEMS TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION WITH THOSE EXCEPTIONS."

That's a real ad believe it or not for a 2002 DTS with an asking price of 6 grand.

Dancing Madly Backwards,
    DJSG3

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Baking soda may help. From the sounds of it, LOTS of baking soda. I would sprinkle it all over the carpet and any surface that could harbor the stink. One or two open containers of baking soda left in the vehicle would also help absorb odors.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by DJSG3 View Post
    Sad part is out of all the cars I've looked at so far that's the best one. I've seen so many white smokers, oil drippers etc. that I'm starting to believe that a good/sound working Nstar is just a myth.
    Go find you a granny car that was always dealer maintained. The worst you'll have to worry about is the possibility of senior rash and carbon buildup. Worked for me
    77CDV and Faith76 like this.

CTSV_Rob is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    What about Die to be in?

Seems Your hearse may have seen a few dead bodies in it's day.

BTW, doesn't need to be a dead person. A cousin of mine in Wisconsin had a perfect 50's truck he had restored. lent it to his father and it had an issue so he parked it. He killed a deer that winter and had no place to put it so he put it in the cab of the truck. Winter went and summer came and the deer was still in the truck. Made a mess of that poor truck and he said the smell was one of the worst things he had ever smelt. Took the truck back and completely gutted the interior. oh yeah, the rats and insects loved it though.

Dead rotting flesh is nasty.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006

It took a couple years to get the dead mouse smell out of the vette. Always close the windows and replace the top in the garage. Lesson learned. A few years ago, I won an 06 Tacoma on an auction. The drivers wiwindow was left open and I found mold. It only took minutes to pull the interior apart and disinfect, then let it dry in the sun for a couple days. No problems from there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.