2012 Hyundai Veloster sunroof recall
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CTSCHICK
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, 2012 Hyundai Veloster sunroof recall in General Discussion; There are many types of car buyers/owners on this site so I want to make sure everybody knows about what ...
    ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

2012 Hyundai Veloster sunroof recall

There are many types of car buyers/owners on this site so I want to make sure everybody knows about what my aunt is dealing with before looking at a Hyundai Veloster...

I posted this over on the Veloster forums but I figured I would post it here as well (not sure if in right place) but anyways.

September 16th - My aunt purchased a 2012 Veloster in March of this year and called me yesterday to tell me her sunroof was broken! Well having worked at a GM dealership where a 1st Gen Cadillac SRX sunroof also shattered it was the very first thing I thought of. Sure enough I check online and there is a recall regarding this and since she bought the car used I'm sure the notice wasn't sent to her address.

She called the dealership she bought it from, Joe Pecheles Hyundai in Greenville, NC and the service writer told her there was no recall and the car already had a TSB which confirmed the sunroof was fine. Well if that was the case then why would we be calling to infer about a broken sunroof? Hmmm. So I then called Stevenson Hyundai in Jacksonville, NC and I spoke to the service manager who has very courteous and told me he has seen a few of the roofs explode before and they were going to check into it.

September 18th - So Joe Pecheles (will be referred to as JP) called back about 3 hours after my aunt called them yesterday and told her to bring the car in. Great. They put her in an Elantra loaner car from Enterprise at their cost. So I'm thinking "Great this is being handled like it should". Well, today she calls me back and told me the service adviser from JP called back and said she needed to start a claim on her insurance. Obviously this should have nothing to do with her insurance since it's a recall from a manufacturer defect. So I call the service manager at JP and get a bogus story about how the car already checked out fine back in January with the TSB performed and it passed the test and that insurance is now going to have to get involved. I'm already a bit suspicious at this point but I tell him that my aunt will be contacting him directly soon.

In the meantime she called Hyundai North America and was told the car already had the entire assembly replaced on January 24, 2013 due to a crack on the glass and that JP used the recall for this repair and now Hyundai wants to file the claim on insurance. Right now our issue doesn't lie within Hyundai but JP saying the car performed fine on the TSB when they actually replaced the glass itself before. My aunt is concerned the glass will break yet again and we are getting the run around from JP.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but a recall is a safety related issue that the NHTSA has looked into and the manufacturer of the vehicle either voluntarily recalls the part or the NHTSA gets involved, correct? If so, why would the dealership even be bothering her about the glass in the roof? It's already been replaced and failed yet again so shouldn't be a no obligation replace type thing? I'm glad she wasn't driving the car when this happened. The dealership isn't taking responsibility for the part failing again and the service manager at JP was extremely rude to her on the phone and blamed her for cancelling the insurance claim she started on Monday when she thought it was a vandalism type act. What does that have to do with the roof? Never heard of such a thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: 2012 Hyundai Veloster sunroof recall

Yes a recall is either done voluntarily by the manufacturer on their own or at the request of the NHTSA or they are forced, pressured in to resolving the issue by fixing it or making it look like they fixed the problem.

----------

Here is the TSB and sunroof testing process maybe you can find an error in the last installation or testing.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...3V051-5876.pdf
    ryannel2003 likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: 2012 Hyundai Veloster sunroof recall

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    In the meantime she called Hyundai North America and was told the car already had the entire assembly replaced on January 24, 2013 due to a crack on the glass and that JP used the recall for this repair and now Hyundai wants to file the claim on insurance. Right now our issue doesn't lie within Hyundai but JP saying the car performed fine on the TSB when they actually replaced the glass itself before. My aunt is concerned the glass will break yet again and we are getting the run around from JP.
    It sounds to me there is a good chance JP got paid by Hyundai to replace it but they decided to just pocket the money (and parts) instead. Now they are in a bind. If you think that's a possibility get the car away from them. One of the biggest Pontiac/GMC dealers in Phoenix was doing stuff like that right and left back in the late 90s along with sending out bogus recall notices and then doing unnecessary work on the car when they got their hands on it. The same dealer told me I had a cracked block in a new Formula convertible and they were going to put a new engine in it. I flat-bedded the car to another dealer who confirmed my suspicions that there was nothing wrong with the engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.