Anybody else think the "home use" inkjet printer market is totally wacky???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Aron9000
  • 1 Post By basscatt
  • 1 Post By orconn
  • 1 Post By rodnok01
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Anybody else think the "home use" inkjet printer market is totally wacky??? in General Discussion; So I'm about to donate a perfectly good working Canon PIXMA iP1600 printer to goodwill with empty cartridges. Quite frankly ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Anybody else think the "home use" inkjet printer market is totally wacky???

So I'm about to donate a perfectly good working Canon PIXMA iP1600 printer to goodwill with empty cartridges. Quite frankly if all you need to do is print, this thing is great, despite being a 2005ish dinosaur.

Seriously though, for what I want, I can get a mono-chrome laser/copier/printer/scanner MADE BY CANON for about $130 on newegg. New cartridges for my 2005 Canon are $40-50. Talk about a kind of wack business model. Sell your printer for a loss, mark your ink up by 1000%. Convince regulators that this a good practice, and bam you have a legal monopoly

IMO printing color at home on an inkjet printer is a waste of $$$$$$. Go print your digital photos at Walgreens, its SO much cheaper if you compare the price of photo paper and ink. As for other documents, personally I don't think color is necessary AT ALL.
    70eldo likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Re: Anybody else think the "home use" inkjet printer market is totally wacky???

This practice has been around for awhile. I think King Gillette invented it, with razor blades. They would sell the razors at a loss then mark up the price of the blades.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

One of the experts on a business news said they make $5,000 profit from one gallon of printer ink and he was serious about that amount.

I fell for the Kodak advertising (a few years back) about its ink costing less and bought ESP7250 printer/scanner/fax. The ink costs less but it does not go very far. I use up 4+ cartrigdes per ream of paper. The older HP ink cost more but I got a lot more printing from it. I swear I got less than 10 pages from a color cartridge. But, its does cost less than other brands but no other brands make ink for Kodak printers.

What a POS, first time I touched the display the cheap plasic broke . Under warranty so I call and they send me a new printer thats a refurbished one (sticker on bottom says so).

Most all the printers today are short life throw aways.

Couple years ago OfficeMax has a sale on select HP Color Laser Printer so I bought one for less that $250 loaded with cartridges. Takes 4 color laser cartridges and buying all 4 runs a tad over $300. Another rip-off. I once bought some off brand cartridges (Officemax) to save $5 on each and had to return two of them because the toner was making lousy copies and a mess of my printer. Again, refurbished toner cart.

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Yep. Printers are disposable. It's sad. I bought a shitty $29 printer from Walmart only for its scan and copy features, used it for 3 years, did all my school printing at the office at school (free, because I worked there), and threw it away when I was done.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Same hers, I don't print an pictures at home any longer. Walmart is who I use, mainly because it's closer. I have used HP printers since I can't remember when but will not buy another ever again. I use to refill cartridges but then they started keeping track of serial numbers and had to have 3 before you could use it again.
    I have a HP 4 that FIL gave us 3 years ago with 2 extra cartridges, so B/W it is. I print reams of things for the school. I have an older HP 3 in 1 I use just for scanning and keep in the shed, I had to fix it 3 times over 3 years, the biggest POS on the planet. It will meet a violent death when it fails to scan for me. I have fixed so many printers for the school it's a joke, even when they buy good they don't last. Talked them into better copy/mutli fuinction machines a few years ago and 80% of the printing is done there now. they lease so when they break no $$ from their pockets. The lease company had to upgrade the machine for free last yearn due to down time.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

I don't know about ya'll. But I like my Canon MG5320. I've had it for little over a year now. It sits mostly idle though. I specially like the fact that each color has it's own cartage, which is why I got this printer. I tried a Brother printer before that had the same separate cartages. BUT they were installed up front, thus used tubes to go to the printer head. That thing kept on drying up and pissing me off, lol. So I gave it away and picked up the Canon only after 6 months. Oh, I love the automatic double side printing.

I don't know how true it is. But are most ink cartages that are sold separately from the printer contain more ink as the one's that come with the printer? Whatever the case, buying a printer that has separate ink cartages is the best way to go. Because when you run out of Magenta, you only need to replace that cartage. As a pose to a cartage that contains all three, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow.

KOT

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Working in the IT industry, i can say i know this subject all too well

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I have an Epson with the 4 ink system and get a lot of use out of it and never seem to use a ton of ink.
    The convenience is worth it to me. I press a button...outcomes what I want.....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I just bought a new hp all-in-one. I want to know nothing of what you're all talking about...

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    So I'm about to donate a perfectly good working Canon PIXMA iP1600 printer to goodwill with empty cartridges. Quite frankly if all you need to do is print, this thing is great, despite being a 2005ish dinosaur.

Seriously though, for what I want, I can get a mono-chrome laser/copier/printer/scanner MADE BY CANON for about $130 on newegg. New cartridges for my 2005 Canon are $40-50. Talk about a kind of wack business model. Sell your printer for a loss, mark your ink up by 1000%. Convince regulators that this a good practice, and bam you have a legal monopoly

IMO printing color at home on an inkjet printer is a waste of $$$$$$. Go print your digital photos at Walgreens, its SO much cheaper if you compare the price of photo paper and ink. As for other documents, personally I don't think color is necessary AT ALL.
    ---------------------------------
    before you toss your printer - consider this -

4 color refill kit - $16 - with shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/Refill-Canon-P...productDetails

enough for 5 refills if the cartridge was completely empty -

I have a pixma mp530 - bought new many years ago -
    3 colors + photo black + pigmented black for documents -

I print a ton of color stuff - and refill my own for a few pennies -
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Ignorance is bliss! For awhile.
    dkozloski likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I leave my laptop at home during school and let the University equipment handle my needs. No issues thus far, other than I burn thru my quota relatively quick. One nice thing about a school with a ton of mineral money is that they have many of the same things pro places do, and with a little patience I can get nearly identical results for a LOT less. For example, I discovered Hi-res nascar photos last spring. Wanted one for a poster at Wal-Mart, but they wanted $20 bucks. Found three plotters (printers that can go up to 44" wide), and now I have four posters for HALF the price of one

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Plotters are great Luke, worked at place that printed maps and the few things I printed large were awesome. It was hard back then to get high enough rez from digital cameras.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350

cost me 60 bucks to buy a xl black and a xl color cartrage pack for my hp cost me 500 dollars for a Top of the line printer that i can't things does anyting more that i use it for than what my brothers 69 dollars hp does and his ink would be the same price
    next time i decided ill buy a 79 dollar printer that comes iwth ink when it runs out sell the printer for 20 bucks or so and go buy a new one that comes with ink

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

I don't know how true it is. But are most ink cartages that are sold separately from the printer contain more ink as the one's that come with the printer? Whatever the case, buying a printer that has separate ink cartages is the best way to go. Because when you run out of Magenta, you only need to replace that cartage. As a pose to a cartage that contains all three, Magenta, Cyan and Yellow.

KOT
    That is true, that they only fill the cartridges about 1/3rd full when you buy a new printer. Or so I've been told by management when I worked at Office Depot back in the dark ages(circa 2004-05). Although I do think there was some validity to this argument, seems like I had a ton of people buying ink for a printer that was 1 or 2 months old, either that or they should've just bought a laser printer if they were using it that much.

Also I remember at that time period, Brother printers were garbage, had people returning them broken all the time. Even the demo models on the sales floor, if you played around with them, pushed the buttons, examined it closely to a Canon or HP, you could tell it was an ill made turd, it was worth spending the extra $10-40 for a better made machine IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.