I'm taking my toys, and going home! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, I'm taking my toys, and going home! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by MoistCabbage The front caliper and lever/master cylinder were off when it was stolen, so that wasn't him. ...
    talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: I'm taking my toys, and going home!

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

The front caliper and lever/master cylinder were off when it was stolen, so that wasn't him. I had them off for cleaning, the pads were getting hung up and rubbing.
    I got to ask, do you still have them?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I'm almost positive I do, but I couldn't find them the other day when I was looking for things to bring to the police station.
    talismandave likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

No pun intended, but that there looks like the, ahem, Cadillac of bikes
    MoistCabbage likes this.

Lol! Yeah, maybe if Cadillac rebadged an H1.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Awesome story...

I've been riding a lot lately, trying to lose some weight... Ok a lot of weight.

Anyway, I've been taking late night rides, so I got a light. I'm so impressed with this little thing I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the output.

All that (a tick over 1,200 lumens on high) from 3 little CREE LEDs (2 for the main forward beam and 1 for a large puddle of light on the ground in front of you).

It has side lighting too, several brightness settings, pulse, flash... Awesome light. Not cheap, but I found it on sale and found a coupon code, got it for just over half price.

Not sure how many members here are riders, but if you're interested, it's the Light & Motion TAZ 1200.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Cree lamps are great for that type of thing. The side lamps (which go on when the signals are activated, while headlamps are engaged) on my 1987 Cadillac are cree bulbs, as are the reverse lamps (which was essentially necessary, since on my Brougham, the lamps are placed beside the license plate in the cutout in the centre of the bumper, which essentially means they produce no visible light from the driver's seat, UNLESS you use cree bulbs). A few dashboard bulbs are also very tiny cree bulbs (not blindingly light, as I am good with electronics, but to produce a more even effect as my dashboard lamps are all red in that car)

I've also considered a cree bulb (I have droves of these sitting around) for the headlamp for the bicycle I have been building, but am not entirely convinced it looks nice in an early 1930's housing.

ltdltc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon

My bike was stolen a long time ago a cheap Huffy®, they just cut the cable lock and took off.

Had to walk home and then go out and buy another. Cheap bikes FTW. If it was an expensive bike like yours I'd be ultra pissed.

I take mine up the stairs to the bedroom when I'm done riding it now. It's become sort of a safe room for valuables in a way. The bike and television alone are worth just about what I paid for my Seville 4 years ago. There's also a surround sound system, 2 gaming systems and a decent laptop. Solid wood exterior door, 3 heavy duty hinges bolted through the jamb and into the studs with 3 inch deck screws, full length steel security plate on the knob side of the jamb. Might be overkill, but between where I live and my luck.....
    ben.gators and CadillacLuke24 like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Looks like its time to become good friends with MC...
    MoistCabbage likes this.

This is the chainstay (think swing arm/lower control arm) of my bike:

Or at least, that's how it's supposed to look.....

10 years of fatigue, and a weld snapped. Sucks, but hey, Giant has a lifetime warranty..... however, no frames/chainstays are available. They offered a comparable 2014 frame at a discount ($500 for a ~$1,200 frame). 2 problems with that. 1 - my current shock isn't compatible, so I'd need a new one (another $500+), and 2 - I don't like the frame to begin with.

Sooooo, off to eBay, Craigslist, and forum classifieds. Long story short, I either got no response from the sellers, or they were unwilling to ship, even though I told them I'd cover the cost, AND pay extra for their trouble. Mind you it's not like I'm asking them to ship $100 items, these bikes are still selling for $600-$1,000. I went through about 10 sellers, same results.

So next step, try to find someone who could repair it. After talking to about 15 frame builders that work with aluminum, only one would even quote me a price, but told me to just but a new bike. Apparently the type of aluminum the frame is made of (6061) needs a solution heat treatment, that requires a special jig to be made for each part, to hold it in shape in the very high temperatures of the heat treating process. He quoted me $2,000..... Yeah, ok.....

After a few more days of searching, I found a shop that repairs all kinds of frame damage, while reinforcing it in the process. They've actually dealt with Giant AC chainstays before, and have a picture of one, repaired and reinforced, on their website. Total cost is $275-$325 depending on exactly what has to be done to my chainstay as far as repairing the weld. One minor detail... THEY'RE IN AUSTRALIA... But it's fine with me, I'm shipping it tomorrow.

Just more of my luck.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

That sucks MC Know your luck on the frame. Mine on my old Gary Fisher sheared near the rear axle mount, so I ended up with a bran new Specialized

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

I'm trying to get a Giant as well. Been looking for awhile now. I think I'm gonna get one used. Ive been beating the hell out of my Mongoose and just can't hold up. I might hold off until winter but I'm getting one soon. I love to ride my bike. I guess it just stuck with me from a kid. Lots of trails around here in CT.

Giant does a good job with frame design, and if you're going dual suspension, their "Maestro" suspension geometry really does a good job at keeping the bike from bobbing as you pedal. I'm a big guy, and unless I stand and pedal, there is NO bob. You also get good value as far as component selection goes, with Giabt.

Mongoose was a huge name in BMX at one time, but they've fallen to making mostly department store cheapies now.

If you do get used, you'll have no frame warranty. Not sure what kind of riding you do, but if it's anything aggressive, keep that in mind.

duneless is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): black raven 2013 ats4 3.6

Thanks and yeah my junk mongoose bobs when I ride.The front shocks suck with no adjustments. I'm not that big 6 1/2 foot 215lbs but my weight kills my bike. I do some trail riding nothing crazy. If I did with this bike I would die. I bought it because I wanted to see if I really wanted to ride again. And I do now so I have to get a new one before I bob off a cliff or just break the frame in two.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Giant does a good job with frame design, and if you're going dual suspension, their "Maestro" suspension geometry really does a good job at keeping the bike from bobbing as you pedal. I'm a big guy, and unless I stand and pedal, there is NO bob. You also get good value as far as component selection goes, with Giabt.

Mongoose was a huge name in BMX at one time, but they've fallen to making mostly department store cheapies now.

If you do get used, you'll have no frame warranty. Not sure what kind of riding you do, but if it's anything aggressive, keep that in mind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.