Does anyone else think the wearing of the "service uniform" when off base sucks?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Does anyone else think the wearing of the "service uniform" when off base sucks? in General Discussion; It seems that every place I go in Virginia, and I don't go on military or naval bases, I see ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Does anyone else think the wearing of the "service uniform" when off base sucks?

It seems that every place I go in Virginia, and I don't go on military or naval bases, I see military personnel of all ranks wearing their camouflage fatigues (service uniforms in "new speak"). Whether it is at civilian restaurants, stores or anyplace else, off base, one rarely sees a service member in their semi-dress or dress uniforms. I don't think this presents a particularly good picture of our soldiers and sailors.

Does this bother anyone else or is it just me? I personally would rather see our service men and women looking like soldiers and not a bunch of recruits on KP!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Does anyone else think the wearing of the "service uniform" when off base sucks?

I don't think they should do anything extra just to look pretty for civilians.
    Ancient Mariner likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Does anyone else think the wearing of the "service uniform" when off base sucks?

I hesitate to respond since I never put in the time, training, and commitment to serve. I am sure those that have might see it a lot differently.

To me, the rules of dress that I find acceptable in polite society do not differ for service members. Fatigues at a nice place to eat, no. In a greasy spoon diner fine by me. Same with shopping end running around town. As long as the wear them neatly and with pride, casual is fine in the proper locations.

What bothers me is when they wear them for years after regular service. I don't know the rules on that, but one guy who comes in the store for the 10 years I have worked there is always in his old uniforms. I know he is not active duty, and doubt he is reserve, but could be. Even if he is they would never be accepted in the condition they are in.

EcSTSatic is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

I was in the Marines. We aren't allowed to wear utilities except directly to and from work if you live off base. I think it looks sloppy and undignified to wear them everywhere. If you respect the service then respect the uniform.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Doesn't bother me one way or the other, but I think they are wearing what they are told to wear. Times have changed.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Back in the dark ages you hit the beach in dress canvas - whites in summer, blues in winter. (Service) dungarees were work clothes - you crapped, showered and shaved BEFORE changing into dress uniform. These run-of-the-mill active duty kids today get away with murder........ same as me walking out of here in khaki slacks and a boat shirt - work clothes.

In '59 we were not allowed to own civilian clothes on base. You left the diesel boat, went to the barracks, cleaned up, climbed into dress canvas, and hitched the bus into New London - where you went into your (rented locker) club and changed into civvies. Sat in Ernie's until 0200, reversed the process and fell into your bunk for 0600 reveille.

These people, walking around today, in their so-called "camo" are a poor representation of what military service used to mean - and DO NOT get into some kid that lost a mess of body parts in the middle east - that's a whole different can of worms - not the same world, but I did spend a few weeks in dungarees with a broken arm or leg. We're talking about flitting through K-Mart or Domino's on a daily basis. They all own a dress uniform, and they all should wear it.

Same thing with society, schools, and competition: We're hell-bent on reducing everyone to the lowest common denominator. Next thing you know, we'll have a Cabinet position for Handicapper General: Make sure that NOBODY is better than anyone else - at nuttin' !!!
    EcSTSatic and MoistCabbage like this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    What bothers me is when they wear them for years after regular service. I don't know the rules on that, but one guy who comes in the store for the 10 years I have worked there is always in his old uniforms. I know he is not active duty, and doubt he is reserve, but could be. Even if he is they would never be accepted in the condition they are in.
    That's just creepy.

AS I guess would be expected I have to agree with Sub. I believe when a member of the armed forces goes out into the civilian world he should be dressed in a fashion that shows pride in his branch of service. For me fatigues (aka service), whether they be "battle camou" or not are not a form of dress (being basic work cloths) appropriate to their status in Americana society. But somehow toady's commands are directing their troops to wear this form of dress. Personally I believe this form of dress demeans the men and women wearing it.

Back in the late sixties we had four different types of uniforms in the Army, each one was appropriate military dress for the function we were performing at the time. Today I see recruiting NCO's and other service personnel dressed in camou fatigues while performing official functions in the civilian world and just going about other business. While I make no distinction when it comes to appropriate dress for officers, NCO's or enlisted personnel, I see that it seems to make no difference to these ranks as to what they wear.

I was an intelligence type, a function in the military not known for its' love of military spit and polish, however, I still believe that if you are going to wear the uniform of your service it had better be correctly worn and it should be the appropriate uniform for the duties you are performing. To do otherwise is to disrespect all those who serve our country in the military and naval forces. The wearing of fatigues in public, off base or installation shows a lack of respect the function of the armed forces in our society.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
    Same thing they told us. No cammies off base. Period. Freaking. Dot.

The other thing, I think the Navy guys in their blue camou fatigues look just stupid. All those pockets to get hung up on machinery and who do they want to disappear from? They are sure to disappear if they fall over board .... now that's a real plus!

I know the new ships have gotten stealthy, but stealthy seamen, I mean really. Can you see the commander ..... "where is Ensign Putz?." Chief says, "He's right beside you, Sir." Commander, " Where, where!"
    talismandave likes this.

The Corps went to digital cammies, then the other branches went,"I want a sweet cammie pattern too!". Freaking rediculous!
    orconn likes this.

Monkey see, monkey do!

The Navy pattern is the worst. The Air Force....eh. Army ACU? Piece of dog shit. Army is adopting MultiCam now, which is excellent.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

I see nothing wrong with it and don't think there is anything wrong with someone that serve's or served publicly displaying their pride of serving.
    Then again I think if you haven't served you have no right to judge them for it either so who am I to tell them what they can and can not wear while serving and after serving.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    The other thing, I think the Navy guys in their blue camou fatigues look just stupid. All those pockets to get hung up on machinery and who do they want to disappear from? They are sure to disappear if they fall over board .... now that's a real plus!

I know the new ships have gotten stealthy, but stealthy seamen, I mean really. Can you see the commander ..... "where is Ensign Putz?." Chief says, "He's right beside you, Sir." Commander, " Where, where!"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.