Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Any great cooking recipes you'd like to share?

5K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  Faith76 
#1 ·
Over the years we have had some good thread with members sharing their favorite cooking tips and recipes, with all the new members frequenting the Lounge these , I thought it might be for a new thread.

One of my favorites was a very spicy five bean chili that came from an astute cook who hails from Arkansas.

Another great contributor of recipes was our good friend from the tri-cities are of Washington whose barbeque and Cal-Mex recipes were really winners.

Looking forward to reading and preparing some new recipes from our members.

#4 · (Edited)
orconn said:
Sounds great what's the recipe,TP?
On forgot that detail lol
Ok so all of ingredients I am posting u put them on a oiled pan after cutting them into halfs not the pan
Red peppers plum tomatoes onions chillies garlic. Roast at 350 untill roasted darken but don't fully burn

Add all veggies and product to blender. Food processor or robo coup
Add lemon sherry vinegar salt toasted bred crust
Purée the hell out of it. Taste. If good and happy then there u go Rammseco sauce
Bake your fish sea bass On 300 oF for 20 minutes
Blanch your asparagus basically boil then shock in ice bath. Should be alldentte firm to bite but not stiff

oop almost forget when you puree you can also throw in some almonds i have always left those out force of habit
because first of all im not a fan of the almond taste second of all i have a brother alergic so when i used to make it
i never put it in

G
#6 ·
Re: Any great cooking recipes you'd like to sahre?

My Famous Meaty Balls Recipe

80/20 Fat Beef 2lbs <-- Second most important part of the recipe. Should end up with 12-16 Meat balls.
Corn Flake Bread Crumbs <-- most important part of the recipe.
1 Egg
All Seasoning goes in Amounts to your liking
Sea Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Crushed Red Pepper
Mc Cormick California Style Garlic Powder
Mc Cormick Italian Herb Grinder

Pan Fry "Sear All Sides in Veg Oil

Slow Cook on Stove or Slow Cooker in Sauce of your choice for a minimum of 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs Tops.

#7 ·
Grilled potatoes;

Cut russett pototoes into sixths lengthwise wedges.. As much as you like. Soak in a pan of cold salted water for 10 mins. Take the slices and dump and drain into colander. drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup diced fresh garlic, salt and pepper, toss them. I use a square basket with a lid that i can flip on the grill. 400 - 450 degrees for about 15 mins. serve with sour cream and freshly chopped chives. Excellent combo for grilling beef. They get nice and crispy. this is my original recipe.

#8 ·

This isn't a great recipe, but a tip to improve on an old stand by. When I lived on the northern island of Hokkaido in Japan there was a ramen shop that served the very best ramen I have ever eaten. As the climate was frigid and snowy for 8 1/2 months out of the year a steaming bowl of ramen really hit the spot after walking around Sapporo. Anyway after I returned to the States dried ramen began to be sold in super markets on the West Coast. I bought some and while it wasn't awful, it didn't come close to tasking as good as the real McCoy in Sapporo. Over the years I kept fiddling with the store bought packs but never really came close to getting the flavor I was looking for. Then one day I decided to add a couple of table spoons of peanut butter to the water I had cooked the noodles in, before I added the packet of dry soup base. Wow what a difference! I find it is best to whisk in the peanut butter till it is totally dissolved before I put in the flavored soup base. Then of course it also helps to put in some sliced meat and sliced scallions and shoyu (soy) sauce to taste. This really raises the level of this money saving dish to a new level.

#12 ·

I hate to bring this down to Ramen Noodles recipes, but Orconn started it....

I still use an old standby for a quick lunch.

1 Pkg noodles, 1 can Chili, 1 can Cheese soup.
1 cup of water in micro 3 min.
Break up noodles in big bowl, pour water over and cover for 3 min. Mix in soups and micro 2 more minutes.
Enjoy......Like a boss! :thumbsup:
(...of the dorm?):noidea:

BTW When I first opened this thread I was expecting Indian recipes.....Sahre?:lol:

#13 ·

i got another idea for you how about

corkscrew pasta and cambles tomatoe soup i know it's the only thing my dad knows how to make so when i go to his house i always check the cubboards knowing that there is like going to be 50 cans of tomatoe soup and a few cases of pasta lol

#14 ·

I will post my favourite chili recipe later

#15 ·
My wife and I bought one of those Ninja crock pots and have done some amazing recipes in it. We've got an awesome breakfast casserole we do in it for Sunday mornings.

You just layer the bottom with frozen hash browns, then a dozen eggs, but we just use the egg whites for a bit healthier version, any kinda meat you want, but it called for breakfast sausage. Next time I'm gonna use ham tho. And shredded cheese. Plus veggies if you want them. I chop up Anaheim peppers, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms to cook in ours. Good stuff! You then let it cook over night for 8 hrs on low, and you've got an amazing breakfast when you awaken from a drunken slumber!!

Btw, if you use sausage, you must cook it in frying pan b4 you put into crock pot

----------

Something else I really like to make is pasta salad. It's a ranch pasta salad. Great summer cook out food. But, again, to be healthier, I don't use mayo. The wife suggested using plain Greek yogurt instead, bc apparently it's a healthy alternative in many recipes that normally call for sour cream or mayo. I was skeptical at first lol. But it's tasted amazing.

Anyway, I buy a packet of hidden valley ranch dressing mix, and a box of whole wheat pasta. I also dice up cucumbers, fresh mozzarella cheese, bell peppers, Anaheim peppers. Then ill slice grape tomatoes, get about 3-4 slices per tomato. Throw some sliced black olives in along with some sliced canned mushrooms.

Ill also throw in diced ham or real bacon bits, or turkey pepperoni slices. Then mix it all together.

#19 ·

Hueterm, glad to se you showed up. You excellent chili recipe has been a major hit on four occasions to date. It was the center piece of my son's annual Super Bowl party .... and from what I hear your chili will be an annual attraction.

By the way how is that super GSD of yours, Beretta, doing?

#20 ·
Hi, Or -- I guess I've been reading more than posting :)

Beretta is great. He's almost 4 now. I left him with my dad while I went to Florida, and he was glad to see me when I got back.

Glad to see the chili is taking off!!

#21 ·

Post #6 - CTSCHICK's Meaty Balls ...... We do essentially the same thing with ground venison mixed with bulk sweet Italian sausage, except make much smaller balls, cook them off on cookie sheets, freeze them, and use them for guests, drinks, appetizer time. There's a sort of local pork and ribs chain - Red, Hot & Blue - that sells their BBQ sauces to go - the Mojo Mild and Sufferin' Sweet are great with the meat balls .........
Served with cutesy little furry toothpicks and sauce - people suck them up like popcorn and ask "What was that ? It's wonderful !" Karen replies "Venison and Italian sausage." One prissy newly acquainted come-here woman turned a peculiar shade of green when she learned that she had eaten part of Bambi. Truly awesome !

Another - grilled tuna steak. We get quite a bit of fresh Atlantic tuna from east of here. About 1/2# steaks, 3/4" thick. Marinate 2 hours in a mixture of (not much) soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, and a dash of white wine. Grill on a HOT Weber for 1 3/4 minutes a side - serve with fresh Wasabi, green vegetables and a decent Pinot Grigio.

Grilling tuna is an art - it cooks quickly and should be very definitely pink in the center third of the steak.

I've posted this before, but for spices that are drop-dead perfect and fresh, get into Penzey's Spices - www.penzeys.com

#23 ·

Plus one for Penzey's!

If you have a store within day trip, do it. Really fun walking around and smelling the samplers. Their seasoning mixes are a great way for a "non-cook" to turn common dishes into wonderfully complex flavor delights!

#27 ·

Here is a shrimp dish that is a favorite around our house. Easy to make and very tasty.

"Charleston Style Shrimp and Grits"

This dish consists of shrimp in a tasty country ham gravy served over grits. The country ham gravy is a very nice medium for the shrimp and lends a very nice contrast to the grits.

Ham gravy:

4 table spoons of butter
1 ounce diced country ham (Smithfield country ham chips work great)
1/2 cup smoked ham finely diced (not necessary but nice addition)
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
2 table spoons finely chopped parsley (not necessary)

1 dozen shelled deveined shrimp lightly sautéed in olive oil and a garlic clove (smashed). Remove a reserve shrimp when just turned pink.

Ham Gravy: Melt butter in bottom of heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add country ham and smoked ham (if using)and onions and sauté for 1 minute, browning slightly. In the same pan, without removing ham, make a roux by adding flour and stirring till well combined. Continue to cook over low for five minutes. Turn up heat to "medium" and gradually add chicken broth . Stir vigorously until sauce thickens in to gravy. Reduce heat to simmer for five minutes. Add parsley if you like and simmer another five minutes. Add Salt and per to tast, but be sure you taste before adding salt as the country ham can make the sauce a little salty.

Now add shrimp and simmer just long enough to heat through. Pour shrimp and ham gravy over plain grits garnish with parsley sprig and serve.

Grits: Instant grits or traditional (long cooking) grits work fine. Just follow the directions on the box. Some people prefer sliced cheese grits slices fried in butter with the shrimp sauce, I prefer the contrast of the plain grits with the shrimp ham sauce better.

This sauce is also good with just the grits and no shrimp added. I hope you enjoy this dish.

#34 ·
#32 ·

It's either tomato paste or tomato puree, and it doesn't take much to thicken the tomato stock. I like to take a couple of tablespoons of masa (corn) flour, stirred into hot water to form a thick cream consistency product, and stir that into the chili about halfway through cooking - it ties the whole thing together ..............

.............. and, if you're not a real "chili pepper" lover, be wary of habaneros and ghost peppers. Very wary.

To find the "heat" of a given pepper, get into the Penzey's spices catalog and into peppers. The "heat" is given in Scovill units. Ghost peppers are some of the hottest on earth.

Penzey also markets about 4 heat levels of pre-mixed chili seasonings. Most yummy.

#37 ·

... and, if you're not a real "chili pepper" lover, be wary of habaneros and ghost peppers. Very wary.

To find the "heat" of a given pepper, get into the Penzey's spices catalog and into peppers. The "heat" is given in Scovill units. Ghost peppers are some of the hottest on earth.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to sign a waiver for buying those.

Here's a champ

But it is true hot peppers are used in hot climates to cool you down. Because your body thinks it is more hot than you really are and you start to sweat to lose the 'heat'

----------

My favorite LC recipe site is www.ibreatheimhungry.com

I love that woman, no lie. She's awesome.
First impression of the pictures is good. Thanks for the link!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.