Getting back into bycicling!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Getting back into bycicling! in General Discussion; As some of you know, I've been trying to love a healthier life so I can be around longer for ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    As some of you know, I've been trying to love a healthier life so I can be around longer for my family. Even tho I'm only 28, I'd really like to be able to say "78 just snuck up on me!" Lol.

****continued in next post

----------

When I was younger, 5-18, I went on bike rides all the time with my dad. It was average to ride 25-30 miles most weekends. He's an avid rider. Been on the Goba ride several years in a row which is I think a 10 day ride and you cover 100 miles per day.

Anyways, so a few weeks ago I got back into it. I bought a really nice bike a couple years ago with the intention, but just didn't go thru with it. But in the last 3 weeks I've put over 150 miles on it, only riding a couple times a week. I've even gotten my wife into it! Well, yesterday I decided to take a ride into the country to a beautiful prairie reserve/lake. It was a 22 mile round trip with 6 of those miles being narrow mild mountain bike trails around the lake. Mountain biking is something I've always wanted to get into. A much healthier version of offroading lol.

Here's a few pics from the ride

That's right. I typoed bicycle. Lol. I just noticed it. Lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, that spelling borked my brain...

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Getting back into bycicling!

Good on ya dude! Looks like a fun route!

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

When I was a kid growing up in California I always envied kids that grew up where it was flat, because they didn't have to push their bikes up hill. Then I moved to New Jersey where it was mostly flat, a mountain in New Jersey is a slight hill in California! Well, I learned I had traded the thrill of coming down the hill I had just trudged up for the monotony of a level place to ride. Tried to never make that mistake again!
    talismandave likes this.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

This is what I will do...

I should send my bike into the shop for a tuneup with my next paycheck. I haven't touched it since I graduated. Hmm....
    talismandave likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    When I was a kid growing up in California I always envied kids that grew up where it was flat, because they didn't have to push their bikes up hill. The I moved to New Jersey where it was mostly flat, a mountain in New Jersey is a slight hill in California! Well, I learned I had traded the thrill of coming down the hill I had just trudged up for the monotony of a level place to ride. Tried to never make that mistake again!

Great metaphor for life.....

Really is, Dave! The harder you work, the more fun you can eventually have!

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    Really is, Dave! The harder you work, the more fun you can eventually have!
    That explains why our washing machine is always smiling.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Good for you. Riding is good exercise and not so severe on the joints as running. Consider a helmet cam someday. For you it will be nice to capture the countryside. For me, I plan to present it in court if I ever get into it with a 4-wheeler. So far a hardy 'bite me' or a wave of my middle finger has been the extent of it. Drivers just don't understand bicycles have the same privileges as cars as long as we all play by the rules.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

When it comes to bicyclist in confrontations with other vehicles do rules and laws carry much weight?

Quote Originally Posted by orconn
    When it comes to bicyclist in confrontations with other vehicles do rules and laws carry much weight?
    Not really. I've seen bikes run red lights in front of cops, along with many other things, but never do they get pulled over.

Thankfully I learned proper bike etiquette from my dad when I was younger. Even my step dad was the president of a large bicycle club in his home town. So I've had plenty to go by.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    You still have to remember the old adage "you could be right, dead right". Keeping aware of your surroundings, movement of traffic, and obeying the rules is your best defense.
    orconn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic

You still have to remember the old adage "you could be right, dead right". Keeping aware of your surroundings, movement of traffic, and obeying the rules is your best defense.
    That's right. I usually have my wife go in front of me when on the roads bc she isn't as experienced as I am and if a car is going to hit one of us, I'd just rather it be me lol. I did have a car pass to close to me the other day and ran me into the ditch. Some how I kept going lol. I just shifted into a much lower gear and kept on pedaling. It was a deep country ditch too. Probably 3-3.5 feet deep.

To many 4-wheelers just don't pay enough attention. I've had to many pull out in front of me when I've been going faster than they expected. I can get up close to 25 MPH on my current bike on flat roads. But when I was in High school, I was on a long ride with my dad, and went down a very long, probably 0.3 mile long steep hill. I reached 48 mph and a pick up pulled out in front of me. I actually had to lock up my brakes. Barely avoided doing a face plant into his tail gate.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Truckin man. Good for you! Biking is excellent. Im out on a country road with some reasonably steep hills. I just bear down, ger down and exhale pushing air out the diaphram and sucking air through nostrils. It is a must. Good luck, i mix it up, but running @200 lbs burns 150 calories a mile. It doesnt matter if you walk or run or how fast you go. I can burn 500 calories in 10 miles of riding at my weight. Also a round of golf is about 700 calories walking.

Walking the dogs at sunrise everyday is a good start. 3 miles 35 mins. 450 cals.

2500 calories a week maintains my weight

3000 calories a week my pants get loose

3500 calories makes me lose weight.

A lot of work because net calories are the calories you burn vs your resting rate of burn.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Before my left hip was replaced, I was the bike patrol officer for Atlanta Medical Center's security department. I had two large parking decks and several small exterior lots to cover. My issued patrol bike was a white Cannondale patrol model with a thick but light frame and fat, wide hybrid tires. I used to run that thing wide open all day.

OP, get back into cycling. You'll never be happier.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.