Getting back into bycicling! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Getting back into bycicling! in General Discussion; Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC Before my left hip was replaced, I was the bike patrol officer for Atlanta Medical Center's ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC
    Before my left hip was replaced, I was the bike patrol officer for Atlanta Medical Center's security department. I had two large parking decks and several small exterior lots to cover. My issued patrol bike was a white Cannondale patrol model with a thick but light frame and fat, wide hybrid tires. I used to run that thing wide open all day.

OP, get back into cycling. You'll never be happier.
    Definitively. I'm very happy to be back into it. It's hard to put into words as to why I love it so much lol. Even tho I'm not going 50 mph, it feels good to be able to get myself up to even 20 on a back road. Cover a lot more ground than walking, yet still great exercise!

My bike is also set up as a hybrid style. That's why it's so nice on the roads, yet capable of having a blast on the trails too. It's also got the front fork shocks which are very effective. They've absorbed some pretty hard impacts.

My bike is a Schwinn. When I bought it, I had no idea Schwinn was still a reputable manufacturer. But I bought it at a bike shop my step dad use to actually Co-own that's been around for 50 years. Was nearly 500 bucks which I thought might be high for a Schwinn but I'm glad I got it. It's got top of the line Shamino (spelling?) that change gears with absolutely no hesitation. Has red and white stitching on the seat and matching stitching on the leather wrapped handle bars. The attention to detail on this bike is really something.

I've also gotta mongoose mountain bike that I'd like to do some more hardcore trails with eventually. Both bikes are 29 inch wheels, so a good size.

Cycling is definitely creeping up on me as not just my favorite exercise, but also a new favorite hobby.

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Re: Getting back into bycicling!

Quote Originally Posted by truckinman View Post
    Definitively. I'm very happy to be back into it. It's hard to put into words as to why I love it so much lol. Even tho I'm not going 50 mph, it feels good to be able to get myself up to even 20 on a back road. Cover a lot more ground than walking, yet still great exercise!

My bike is also set up as a hybrid style. That's why it's so nice on the roads, yet capable of having a blast on the trails too. It's also got the front fork shocks which are very effective. They've absorbed some pretty hard impacts.

My bike is a Schwinn. When I bought it, I had no idea Schwinn was still a reputable manufacturer. But I bought it at a bike shop my step dad use to actually Co-own that's been around for 50 years. Was nearly 500 bucks which I thought might be high for a Schwinn but I'm glad I got it. It's got top of the line Shamino (spelling?) that change gears with absolutely no hesitation. Has red and white stitching on the seat and matching stitching on the leather wrapped handle bars. The attention to detail on this bike is really something.

I've also gotta mongoose mountain bike that I'd like to do some more hardcore trails with eventually. Both bikes are 29 inch wheels, so a good size.

Cycling is definitely creeping up on me as not just my favorite exercise, but also a new favorite hobby.
    When your clothes are covered in salt from all the sweat you're making, your arms are brown from being sun-cooked all day, and warm Gatorade is the best drink on Earth, then you understand why a bike is so great.

I love fork shocks. Comfy, but they can take a hell of a beating. With the equipment on your Schwinn, you can run that thing hard. How does the Mongoose ride? I've seen them but never gotten an owner's opinion.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

I commute pretty regulary to work by bike. I have a 2008 Giant TCR A1 road bike, a 2010 Trek 4300 mtn. bike, and a 2011 Raleigh Back Alley single speed/fixed gear. The Trek is a hardtail with lockout forks, I put 26x 1.5 in. road tires on it for commuting but still have the 26x 2.0 tires ready with wheels for off roading. Riding bicycles is a lot of fun for me, I'm not fast by any means but it puts a smile on my face to be able to pedal! This past Sunday morning myself and a buddy took our SS/FG bikes out for a easy ride of about 9 miles. I've got the Trek at work today! Have a balst on your rides and be safe!
    93DevilleUSMC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC

When your clothes are covered in salt from all the sweat you're making, your arms are brown from being sun-cooked all day, and warm Gatorade is the best drink on Earth, then you understand why a bike is so great.

I love fork shocks. Comfy, but they can take a hell of a beating. With the equipment on your Schwinn, you can run that thing hard. How does the Mongoose ride? I've seen them but never gotten an owner's opinion.
    It's been so long since I've ridden the mongoose to be honest. Probably 6 years. I know it'll need a whole tune up. But I liked it. Never really had a chance to do any serious mountain biking with it tho.

This isn't mine, but it's the exact same besides the color combo. Same frame and suspension style

----------

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASELDO91
    I commute pretty regulary to work by bike. I have a 2008 Giant TCR A1 road bike, a 2010 Trek 4300 mtn. bike, and a 2011 Raleigh Back Alley single speed/fixed gear. The Trek is a hardtail with lockout forks, I put 26x 1.5 in. road tires on it for commuting but still have the 26x 2.0 tires ready with wheels for off roading. Riding bicycles is a lot of fun for me, I'm not fast by any means but it puts a smile on my face to be able to pedal! This past Sunday morning myself and a buddy took our SS/FG bikes out for a easy ride of about 9 miles. I've got the Trek at work today! Have a balst on your rides and be safe!
    I feel the same. It puts a smile on my face as well! Especially when I went to that lake where those pics are. Those trails were a hell of a lotta fun! Some hills, some very mild drops off small ledges. Like I said, it was so much fun, I rode 6 miles just on the trails

. I'm hoping my wife will ride there with me this weekend. She's still very new on bikes for the most part. She never shifts gears. Doesn't know when a good time to shift is. So I've been helping her. It's about the only thing in better at than she is! Lol. But I'm hoping if she goes to these trails, I can really show her some examples of good times to shift and what gears to be in and when.

My dad is a Trek guy. That's the only bike he will buy. He's got one he still had from the 70s with thousands of miles on it. And then a newer trek. And they also have a trek tandem. All road bikes.

----------

I can not find a single pic on line of my Schwinn tho. The detail in the stitching and the leather wrapped handle bars are simply amazing. Ill have to take some close ups of it later and put it on here.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Glad to hear you all are cycling again. I have had many contemporaries who have enjoyed the activity and seemed to have benefitted greatly from the exercise.
    93DevilleUSMC and VEGASELDO91 like this.

VEGASELDO91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 ELDORADO (R.I.P.); 1995 Sedan Deville

It's been so long since I've ridden the mongoose to be honest. Probably 6 years. I know it'll need a whole tune up. But I liked it. Never really had a chance to do any serious mountain biking with it tho.

This isn't mine, but it's the exact same besides the color combo. Same frame and suspension style

----------

I feel the same. It puts a smile on my face as well! Especially when I went to that lake where those pics are. Those trails were a hell of a lotta fun! Some hills, some very mild drops off small ledges. Like I said, it was so much fun, I rode 6 miles just on the trails

. I'm hoping my wife will ride there with me this weekend. She's still very new on bikes for the most part. She never shifts gears. Doesn't know when a good time to shift is. So I've been helping her. It's about the only thing in better at than she is! Lol. But I'm hoping if she goes to these trails, I can really show her some examples of good times to shift and what gears to be in and when.

My dad is a Trek guy. That's the only bike he will buy. He's got one he still had from the 70s with thousands of miles on it. And then a newer trek. And they also have a trek tandem. All road bikes.

----------

I can not find a single pic on line of my Schwinn tho. The detail in the stitching and the leather wrapped handle bars are simply amazing. Ill have to take some close ups of it later and put it on here.
    Cool, I look forward to seeing some more pics! I will try to get a few pics up myself later, the computer at work has an outdated browser and photobucket wont work!

93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

----------

----------

She's a gorgeous bike indeed! Maybe I should get back into cycling again next summer.

Here's a few pics of a couple fine details that they put into my bike. The leather wrapped handles and their stitching and the design on the seat, and the twist grip shifter set up

----------

That's my Schwinn btw. Not the mongoose.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I despise walking. Since I drive all the time, seeing the world at 2mph is annoying. Cycling is the perfect medium...

----------

Oh, and when I'm driving, I never stop for a cyclist at a crosswalk ON a bike. If they get off and are walking it across, I stop.
    93DevilleUSMC likes this.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I despise walking. Since I drive all the time, seeing the world at 2mph is annoying. Cycling is the perfect medium...
    I ride a road bike. The world goes by pretty quickly at 20+ mph. There are times though when my a$$ wishes I was on a bike with larger tires and suspension.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

This electric bike is pretty slick. It's more like an electric assist.

At $4,800, the 2X4 is not cheap, but for $30 in electricity you can ride the bike up to 10,000 miles. A full charge will take the bike about 30 miles,

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...go/?hpt=hp_bn5

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by EcSTSatic View Post
    There are times though when my a$$ wishes I was on a bike with larger tires and suspension.
    That and they take far mor abuse is why I gots my Gary Fisher.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.