What was your first real job?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, What was your first real job? in General Discussion; What was your first real job? Was it a Summer job or an after school job? Did you live in ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

What was your first real job?

What was your first real job? Was it a Summer job or an after school job? Did you live in state where an under eighteen year old could be legally employed or did you have to find a way around your state's laws to be able to work?

Like many kids I had had jobs to do around our family home to earn an allowance or to get paid by the job. I mowed our lawn, raked up and burned leaves in the Fall, washed the family cars.

But it wasn't until I was seventeen that I got my first job where I worked for someone outside the family and got paid an hourly wage.

At the time I turned seventeen, which was the age to be able to get a driver's license, I was living in New Jersey. And at that time you could not get a work permit in New Jersey until you reached the age of eighteen. This presented a real problem because now that I could drive I wanted to be able to take girls to the movies and to local ice cream parlor after the sock hop, etc.

As luck would have it, my parents were building an apartment house that Summer and so technically I could be employed by my parents (which was legal in N.J.), so I was able to go work for the contractor, working on the job site and doing all the go for jobs needed to be done while the construction proceeded. The contractor who had done several other buildings for my parents was a tough, gruff old Pennsylvania Dutchman and regardless of who I was expected a full days work doing whatever was called for to assist the carpenters and others building the structure. That Summer I dug trenches, carried lumber onto the site and cleared waste lumber from the site, I sawed and nailed and helped lift framing and went on water and soda runs. All this in the stifling Summer humidity of New Jersey in the fifties.

For my toils and sweat, if I remember correctly I was paid fifty cents an hour. However, that twenty bucks a week went a long way. I paid my folks some money toward the family car I used over the Summer and when home on vacation from prep school. I also bought some of my own cloths and, of course, bought many an ice cream soda and sundae after the Friday or Saturday movie or community dance at the Y.

I learned a lot that Summer and came away from my first job with a new sense of self worth!

Tell us about your first job.
    70eldo likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: What was your first real job?

My dad is a retired chef. My first official job was being his dishwasher in the restaurant he worked at.

Other work he had for me before and after was auto repair jobs, mainly when i got in trouble (lets yank the 390 out the 59 Fairlane etc". He wouldn't spank me, just make me help him on car projects, which i intend to do with my sons when they're in trouble also.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

In WI when I was a kid you had to be 15 to get a job permit. The summer between middle school and high school a friend and I were 14 and his mom was an apt. manager for a large local rental agency. They had a maintenance man and we were hired to tag along with him and get paid out of petty cash. Mowing, sweeping basements, painting and such.
    It was great to get a head start on the working world and to have, what was to a 14 year old, major cash. Our duties were mostly around the two or three complexes that made up about half of their units. We had a big white cube box van like delivery truck and would cruise around town working at the other properties they had. Everything from huge multi unit buildings to old houses on campus downtown.
    On campus here on Aug 15 the units are all empty for a day to be cleaned up. The people moving out and in somewhere else have to spend the night on the street with all their belongings. We had that day to clean several old two and three flats. It was a ton of work as the students were not the best tenants. (This is all followed by "hippie Christmas". The day where the discarded belongings are adopted by new owners.)

CTSCHICK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

15 yrs old while I was in County Technical school during High school I did graphic arts, type setting and ect for a large printing company 20-32 hrs a week until I was 18 yrs old.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

My adoptive Mum managed a piece of land composed of mostly wilderness and small developed pieces of property scattered throughout (The occasional home or two and four main cemeteries) which had (mostly prior to her ownership of it) become one large cemetery. Yes, there are still houses in the cemetery. There is also a school built on property, which had to have gravestones moved in order to be built (which is actually a common practice back home) and a public library that is entirely engulfed within the cemetery, so one has to actually enter the property in order to access the library.

There she took myself and my two sisters and raised us into the fine, upstanding children we are today. We were taught to fight, study and work (three of the most important things I have ever learned) Naturally, we functioned as staff at said establishment. My "bio" on this forum is accurate. It lists myself as a retiree, but former professional Gravedigger, Mortician, Mortuary Scientist, Embalmer, Funeral Director, Cremation Technician and Circuit Jouster. (among other things from other points in my life) Technically speaking, any of those could be listed as my first job.

When I was eighteen, she, the very woman who made me what I am today, passed away due to a medical condition (She was 29. Yes, my Mother is nearly as young as her three children). I was 1,500 miles away at the time. In her passing, she left her sum of land, which is shared equally with my two sisters, rather than any of us dividing it into three equal portions as well as many material possessions of which we again, just share amongst ourselves, except in specific situations, where two of us have unanimously agreed that one specific item belongs to the third of us, simply because it feels right and that is where it should belong. Likewise, a separate piece of property was left, some sixteen miles away from the rest, with many more physical possessions therein. Technically speaking, I could resume any of those occupations at any moment, essentially any place in the country. Naturally, there is only one I would keep in mind.

Those of you who have been here long enough may remember that a while back, I ended up making two trips there within less-than-a-month and brought back photos of my homeland (which has not changed since I was born. Perhaps longer. Literally. The cars are still parked in the same spots.) which included some photographs relevant to this, as well as the detailed story of why I know as much as I do about vintage Luxury cars and why when it came time for me to acquire a car on my own in my youth, I chose a Superior.
    70eldo likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Started at the Kmart in Gillette WY, for 9.25 an hour on May 21st, 2007. Currently still employed there.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Dipping ice cream at Thrify Drug Store when I was 16. Had to make gas money for the Caddy!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by 77CDV View Post
    Dipping ice cream at Thrify Drug Store when I was 16. Had to make gas money for the Caddy!
    I miss Thrifty Ice Cream. When i moved to Tempe in 2001 the water n ice store had Thrifty Ice cream deliveries and would sell all the flavors. Oh man that was a god send..

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

First summer job was at 14 helping out in an ice cream parlor washing the empty ice cream buckets. Also assisting in making ice cream.

The first thing I bought with my money was a birthday present for my little brothers. That felt so good I can still feel that moment!
    And after that a used stereo system.

I also delivered prescription newspapers early mornings throughout the year.
    After the summer I worked in the supermarket re-supplying the aisles.

Next few summers I helped in the kitchen of an Indonesian restaurant washing dishes and assiting in the preparations. I also helped out at caterings. Apart from summer I flipped burgers.
    When I had my driving license I worked in the harbor moving new cars on and off RORO-ships and trains. Or placed supporting lugs on piles of metal pipes and profiles or paper roles or bundles or wood as they were unloaded from ships at the trans-shipment. Or I would un-/load frozen goods in and out of truck containers. Or unload cooled drums with concentrated juice, feed it into the factory system and handle the empty drums and lids.
    In the summers at daytime I also been a life guard at the local beach (kitchen help was at night). It was at the time "Bay Watch" was running in TV and they liked to refer to me as Hoby for fun and sang that "Hoby Hoby Oh" .

For my Poly-technic BSc I did some internships at very interesting companies. One was "Signaal" which produces radars, weapon guidance systems and infra-red viewers. The last one was my first time in the US in California (OC) for a company "NewGen Corp" producing high resolution die-sublimation printers (especially for the pre-press business).
    I also worked as a taxi driver. And as a bar tender in a sportsbar. And I delivered pizzas.

After that I had my first projects as a mechanical engineer (BSc) before I entered Flight Academy for KLM.

Man, when I look back I did so many things!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

14 years old - general gopher, grease monkey and gasoline pumper at the local AMOCO station - after school, weekends, summer. 5 AM paper route for the extinct Washington Times Herald. Other odd jobs.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post

Those of you who have been here long enough may remember that a while back, I ended up making two trips there within less-than-a-month and brought back photos of my homeland (which has not changed since I was born. Perhaps longer. Literally. The cars are still parked in the same spots.) which included some photographs relevant to this, as well as the detailed story of why I know as much as I do about vintage Luxury cars and why when it came time for me to acquire a car on my own in my youth, I chose a Superior.
    Just by chance, any link to those pics and posts? It sounds very interesting....

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I worked at the independent record store right next to the high school where all the punkers hung out. The owner was also a DJ, so I helped with that too. Best job ever!
    70eldo likes this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Dish washer at a greasy spoon at 15 (16 was legal) for $1.00/hr.
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I wasn't sure about the rules. The "REAL" in the title made me think W2s but since they all haven't been....

My first job in retrospect seems like some government stimulus package job in that it was pointless.

This was in the 60s and we had a large number of uranium claims on public land. To prevent people from just staking claims and waiting to see what happens nearby, the law requires a certain amount of verifiable "effort" be put into a claim each year. So I spent several summers bulldozing roads to nowhere.
    70eldo likes this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Did any of the uranium claims pan out?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.