Mon ordinateur c'est mort. :(
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben.gators
  • 1 Post By Submariner409
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Mon ordinateur c'est mort. :( in General Discussion; Last night, my desktop decided to slip this mortal coil. Repair is possible, but it wouldn't be any less than ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Mon ordinateur c'est mort. :(

Last night, my desktop decided to slip this mortal coil. Repair is possible, but it wouldn't be any less than buying a whole new unit (I HATE that about techo thingies! ). I'm leaning toward a laptop, since I still need the ability to do word processing, excel, and I need to be able to print. Right now, all I've got is my little tablet, so I need to get hooked up PDQ.

Any suggestions from the forums crowd?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Mon ordinateur c'est mort. :(

I strongly suggest Apple products! I know, a lot of people in this forum hate Apple products, but they are very stable and robust systems compared to the other computers that run Windows OS.
    During past 8 years, I have been using Apple products, including Macbook air, Macbook, Macbook pro, different generations of iMac, and Mac Pros. Last month I needed to work with a technical software that just runs on Microsoft OS. So I went to our computer store and asked the guy to give me the best laptop that comes with Windows, and I bought it. And it was the most expensive laptop there too. Now this laptop has been reminding me how awful Windows system was; I had forgot it!

Buy a Macbook Pro. It is a little bit expensive, but it is totally worth it. For first time users, Mac OS has a learning curve, but after the person gets used to it, he will love it!
    gdwriter likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

.......... or you could go to Tiger Direct and look at their refurbished laptops. Lots of bells and whistles - I have two such Toshibas of uncertain vintage and they, so far, have been reliable steady performers.

Karen and I use exclusively (large) laptops and a mid-tower PC. Our cell phones are the Nokia equivalent of two cans on a waxed string, so there is no possible way to get into the world of texting/Internet at dinner, in the movies, while walking, while talking, while sleeping, driving, riding, or at the doctor's office.
    77CDV likes this.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    I strongly suggest Apple products! I know, a lot of people in this forum hate Apple products, but they are very stable and robust systems compared to the other computers that run Windows OS.
    During past 8 years, I have been using Apple products, including Macbook air, Macbook, Macbook pro, different generations of iMac, and Mac Pros. Last month I needed to work with a technical software that just runs on Microsoft OS. So I went to our computer store and asked the guy to give me the best laptop that comes with Windows, and I bought it. And it was the most expensive laptop there too. Now this laptop has been reminding me how awful Windows system was; I had forgot it!

Buy a Macbook Pro. It is a little bit expensive, but it is totally worth it. For first time users, Mac OS has a learning curve, but after the person gets used to it, he will love it!
    There is a program out there called VMware, that will allow Windows to run on a Mac computer. That is what I have on my Mac Mini. Installed 16gb of ram and I can run Mac OS X, Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 all at the same time. There is No lagging what so ever.

I can drag and drop files between the three systems. Open the Windows OS in its own window, or each program that is opened in the Windows OS in its own window on the Mac.

KOT

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Buy a decent laptop, on craigslist, reformat it. And slap libre office in it, and just set it for office 2010 mode. Done

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    There is a program out there called VMware, that will allow Windows to run on a Mac computer. That is what I have on my Mac Mini. Installed 16gb of ram and I can run Mac OS X, Windows XP Pro and Windows 7 all at the same time. There is No lagging what so ever.

I can drag and drop files between the three systems. Open the Windows OS in its own window, or each program that is opened in the Windows OS in its own window on the Mac.

KOT
    There are couple of such programs. But the result is always slower and less robust than running the Windows itself.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    I have been using my phone for the last...god knows how long. The thing is still far more advanced than I need. Makes a great mobile office which is good, as I need that. My only complaint is that this Forum app sucks and loads photos less than half of the time.

As for home computers, I believe Mann is Windows 98. Therefore, no need in seeking my advice on these strange machines...

ryannel2003 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I've owned Apple laptops for years and they are great but with my school degree in computer information technology basically requiring Windows I sold my last MacBook Air and bought a Dell Insprion 15 from Wal Mart for $400 and it's fine. Windows 8, Core i3 processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD, 15.6" display. It's not the fastest laptop in the world but it gets the job done and is durable.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Been running an Asus laptop with Windows 7 for the past 3 years, its been a great machine. No viruses or any hiccups. If I were to do over again, I think I'd go just a size smaller. I love the huge 17" display when its plugged into the wall sitting on my desk(which is like 99% of the time) but man it sucks the battery pretty bad otherwise.

Just go on tiger direct and newegg and start reading reviews if you're going the PC route. When I was shopping(I know this was 3 years ago) Toshiba and Asus were pretty highly rated for my budget(500-700). I'd love a Macbook Pro, but $2000 is straight ridiculous unless I really needed to edit music/video.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Been running an Asus laptop with Windows 7 for the past 3 years, its been a great machine. No viruses or any hiccups. If I were to do over again, I think I'd go just a size smaller. I love the huge 17" display when its plugged into the wall sitting on my desk(which is like 99% of the time) but man it sucks the battery pretty bad otherwise.

Just go on tiger direct and newegg and start reading reviews if you're going the PC route. When I was shopping(I know this was 3 years ago) Toshiba and Asus were pretty highly rated for my budget(500-700). I'd love a Macbook Pro, but $2000 is straight ridiculous unless I really needed to edit music/video.
    Oh talk about battery life...

My girl friend's 15" HP computer, IDK what the specs are, has to be plugged in all the time too. The computer itself came out in the Vista error(era) but the "double stack" battery back, meaning twice the operational capacity, is only a couple of years old. I gave her a 2009 MacBook Pro with original battery, and it still last 5 or more hours on the battery. Even with watching videos.

It also allows her to charge the iPad off it's USB ports, where as the HP does not.

KOT

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    I've owned Apple laptops for years and they are great but with my school degree in computer information technology basically requiring Windows I sold my last MacBook Air and bought a Dell Insprion 15 from Wal Mart for $400 and it's fine. Windows 8, Core i3 processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD, 15.6" display. It's not the fastest laptop in the world but it gets the job done and is durable.
    Even though I use Mac for work at work and home that is what I would recommend especially if your budget is $4-600 the Aluminum framed Dell Insprion Ultrabook's are pretty nice and they don't have some of the problems some of the other Inspiron's have like cooling issue's and ect..

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post

1st level cyber security always starts at the end user level

Even if i had to edit music/video id still choose linux or windows.. Fruity loops for music and adobe premiere for video

I know 3D animation and id do so on Linux box or Windows over a Mac any day

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Oh talk about battery life...

My girl friend's 15" HP computer, IDK what the specs are, has to be plugged in all the time too. The computer itself came out in the Vista error(era) but the "double stack" battery back, meaning twice the operational capacity, is only a couple of years old. I gave her a 2009 MacBook Pro with original battery, and it still last 5 or more hours on the battery. Even with watching videos.

It also allows her to charge the iPad off it's USB ports, where as the HP does not.

KOT
    Well its not THAT bad. Just saying I think 2(maybe 2.5 hours if you ignore the battery low messages) hours of battery life with the screen turned to the lowest brightness setting is still piss poor. And that 17" size is pretty bulky, heavy, and doesn't fit well into a typical backpack.

Cadillac Kid03 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS, 1992 Z28

Asus makes very good laptops i'v had mine for roughly 4 years now and it gets used every single day. Pretty good priced and damn are the Asus's nice to look at.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.