Road Trip Stories, Part One.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Road Trip Stories, Part One. in General Discussion; So, I've been gone a while, but I've been a bit busy with work and such. I'm about to be ...
    93DevilleUSMC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)

Cool Road Trip Stories, Part One.

So, I've been gone a while, but I've been a bit busy with work and such. I'm about to be even busier with EMT school starting on the 28th and lasting until next April. Just because I haven't been posting a lot lately doesn't mean that either I nor the CTS have been doing nothing. I've actually done two road trips since October of last year, both of which I meant to make their own threads for. What to do with all of these pictures?

What to do? Make the threads anyway, that's what! I'll post up the two old trips in a thread series, called "Road Trips" Part One and Part Two, followed later on by a part three, four, etc. I'll post up not only the two trips, but also a car show, and even any interesting day trips and other adventures/misadventures that I can get into over the coming months. There will be roads, random cars, strange and good food, and any other random awesomeness you guys ask for. Look for a couple of CF members to make an appearance here and there!

Tonight's installment is Part One: JacksonVille, October 2012(Or: Making StingRoo want a CTS). Stay tuned!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Road Trip Stories, Part One.

Anxious to follow along!
    93DevilleUSMC likes this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Cab anyone write "Road Trip Stories" or is this just limited to Josiah's stories?
    Faith76 likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Oooo.. I LOVE road trip stories. This one time, my friend and I decided to test the topless laws in NY and well.... I guess I'll wait to find out if we are allowed to share our own stories here before I finish.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    My stories are not G Rated and are about a '73 Oldsmobile, '62 Cadillac, two briefcases and a handful of Nevada's finest or three Hearses, Nuns on motorbikes and an SUV full of tactical rifles taking half of Georgia by storm.

So lets let Josiah start it off. Then everyone else can post threads for their trips (some of already do)

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Will be waiting for Josiah's tale tonight!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Oooo.. I LOVE road trip stories. This one time, my friend and I decided to test the topless laws in NY and well.... I guess I'll wait to find out if we are allowed to share our own stories here before I finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    My stories are not G Rated......
    Sounds like you are not alone there!

I don't know about the rest of you but I vote for Faith going first......

...jus kidding Josiah!
    93DevilleUSMC and dou1t2 like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

please tell your story....also, pics would be nice (you know what they say....pics or it didnt happen)

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Cab anyone write "Road Trip Stories" or is this just limited to Josiah's stories?

Anyone can write, but I expect pictures!

----------

Sorry for the delay, but I had some issues getting photos from my phone to Photobucket. Give me a few minutes here.

----------

Okay, so here's part one:

Back in October 6-7th, 2012, I had just gotten some MUCH needed time off, and had plenty of money in the bank. I also hadn't just gotten in my car and driven out of state for the hell of it in more than a year. Come to find out, Stingroo, aka Ray, had some time off, and there was a car show going around Jacksonville, Florida. What do you do when you have a free weekend and a car show three hundred fifty miles away? You get in your damn Cadillac and go there, of course!

I took I-16 across Georgia to I-95 south to Jacksonville. The drive was five and a half hours through some of the least populated parts of Georgia, and it was just me and my music. Nothing clears my head like driving through the South with CCR and BTO playing for hours on end, stopping only as needed to relieve boredom. I had filled up in Decatur, and the CTS being the gas sipper that she is, I had no need for fuel the whole way down. The CTS, by the way, never once sent the coolant temperature above the even line, despite being driven fast in high humidity for hours. Eventually, I arrived in...

After arriving at Ray's apartment, we piled into the infamous Roo Wagon and headed to the car show. Ray is camera shy as all get out, so I have no good pictures of him. I do, however, have some beautiful rolling metal to show you all. Here goes..

LS-1, because FREEDOM

B5 Blue Road Runner

2010 Challenger R/T in Detonator Yellow

Look at this beast of an American V-8...modern incarnation of an old legend..

77CDV likes this.

1967 Ford Fairlane GT..one owner.

1966 Dodge Coronet

1980s Cadillac Brougham, not sure what year

What do ya`'ll think of the fuzzy dice? Go or no-go?

1970 Olds Cutlass 442...my favorite Olds of all time.

----------

Recognize this?

1970 Chevelle SS396

1966 Corvette Stingray...iconic beauty...

77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

1962 Pontiac Catalina with 421 Super Duty V-8...the pre-muscle car concept of a factory hot rod.

1969 Chevy Camaro SS, Hugger Orange...DROOL.

Look at that curve...

Another Challenger

Huge 455 is HUGE

After the auto show, Ray insists on wings and beer. I've got no pictures, but believe me when I tell you that the Jacksonville Wing Cafe next to University of Florida has boneless wings the size of my damn fists! The sweet tea there was sugary and smooth, just the way we Southern men love it! After tooling around Jax in the Roo Wagon(what a beast!), Wal-mart runs, and a campus tour, I called it a night in a seedy Super 8 in Jax...complete with sleeping, stoned security man on gold cart, and a gas station packed with hookers, pimps, and dealers. Lest you all start imagining Breaking Bad or a Vegas fantasy, the hookers and dealers were all either old and toothless in skimpy attire, or young and clad in doo-rags and shorts miles below their asses. Why did I brave them? I was thirsty and needed a Dr. Pepper. The rest of you...never use the BP in Jacksonville, Florida at two AM.

Bridge leading to Ray's apartment on my way to pick him up for breakfast at University Diner. This thing gets as low as six feet above the water, and curves as high as twenty feet. Beautiful spot.

You're damn right it is...(seen on the wall of said diner, which also had lots of vintage garage and soda signs)

Southern breaklunchfast...fried chicken sandwhich, Okra, and tea so sweet you can see the sugar grains floating around and cannot see through the damn drink. Can anyone guess my beverage weaknesses yet?

My goal was to convince Ray that he needed to get a Gen-1 CTS after he graduated and started working at a good job, so I talked him into driving mine. Here we have the only photo of Ray during this whole trip. As I say, he's camera shy! But, do you know what? After a twenty mile run south on I-95 to a Toys-R-Us(in keeping with my one road trip rule that a die cast car MUST be purchased on all out of state runs), he fell in love with the CTS..and now he's got the bug. Lord help us if he ever comes to a Chicago meet!

----------

Sunday, October 7th, 2012: It was time to part ways and head back to Georgia. I decided to take I-95 to I-16 again, but I had a special Seafood stop to make in Darien, GA. More on that later. For now, road photography.
    Skyline shot, somewhere Northbound on I-95 in Florida.

Pulled over just to take this shot a few minutes after entering Georgia.

Marshlands approaching the Darien River

Plantation entrance:

Bell tower?

Here's the reason I stopped in Darien: Skipper's Fish Camp, which sits on the edge of the Darien river where it passes through downtown Darien, GA. I try to come here once a year just for the excellent shrimp you see below. The catch it exactly three miles down the river using their own boat. Darien itself started as a lumber town shortly after Georgia was founded, was burned by the Union like everything else during the Civil War, and has been your classic Southern fishing town ever since. I come here to eat the shrimp and waste hours at a time relaxing, walking around the pier, and enjoying the view. I swear, I might just move here.

The apartments are raised a good ten feet or more off the ground in case of flooding, but residents can also use the area below for parking and storage. Nice, huh?

----------

The rest of the trip was a night time run at full tilt across I-16 and back home. Towards the last seventy miles of I-16, my car displayed that I had about eighty miles left. Could I make it? I decided to find out, and pushed on, making it 85 more miles until I was on empty and pulling into a gas station in Macon. Good car! Have some Premium .

Well, that's road trip # 1. Orconn, Dullahan, Faith, start sharing!

----------

Ma'am, you HAVE to share now!

Nice photos. Obviously, the greatest are that Brougham and the Catalina (Pontiac of course, being the only company to ever produce a TRUE muscle car)

Not sure about Vegas though. Not nearly as many shady pimps and hookers there as people think. I would blame it on television, because they probably portray us that way. Not really sure (Vegas is however always portrayed as really small in Television. Like...the characters are just going through the desert and just instantly arrive at the heart of the strip as if there is nothing else around)

I think Ray will drive a CTS the day they release a true wagon variant. Not just the hatchback version.

(Photo courtesy the Dealership in Saint Augustine during the trip Craig and I made there)

I recall a Forum member trying to convince me to purchase a CTS once. It didn't go so well and it instead turned into me laying out $5k cash and driving him 700 miles so he could purchase a V instead, because I refused to recognize the CTS as a true Cadillac due to it having less than eight cylinders.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 93DevilleUSMC View Post
    Ma'am, you HAVE to share now!
    If that's what you're after, we should start a Car Wash thread. Most gentlemen I know wash their cars with buckets of soapy water and microfibre cloths of some kind. I wash my cars with bikini-clad or naked women. I have found this method to be far more effective at saving me time and it keeps my base of female followers happy. Everyone wins.

I think Faith can tell more interesting stories than I can, though I think we should leave details to her discretion! As for you, Chamus, give us some stories. Nuns and SUVs and tactical rifles taking GA? Go for it!
    Faith76 likes this.

I think that story will unfold in the inevitable film of my life. In fact, it will more likely unfold in the film of someone else's life in which I will be a side-character.

I do not however believe that discussing all of the details of that on an open Forum is a wise decision.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.