Do I need to see a therapist?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Do I need to see a therapist? in General Discussion; I was extremely obsessed with my old Seville STS! I thought my obsession can't get worse than that, but I ...
    ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Do I need to see a therapist?

I was extremely obsessed with my old Seville STS! I thought my obsession can't get worse than that, but I was wrong!

When I had the STS, I didn't have a serious problem in giving ride to people, although I was very careful about how they treat my Cadillac!

Now, I have got this brand new ATS, and I won't let anyone sit in it! I mean the person needs to be VERY special so that I can let him/her sit in my car. Family member, or very good friends, that's it! So far I already said no to an acquaintance who wanted a ride to the airport, and I used to give him a ride to the airport with my STS! Also I made it very clear in my work area that if we are going to have a guest to our group, do NOT expect me to go and pick up the guest! My Cadillac ATS is not a taxi!

Do I need to see a therapist, or I am OK?
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Do I need to see a therapist?

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Yes, Ben, you need to see a therapist! It may be OK to ask or demand that passengers refrain from eating, drinking or riding with their feet up on the dashboard. It may be OK to get out of taking people to the airport because of the worst traffic in the U.S. (Honolulu) or because you are saving your gas pennies for a drive around the island. But to ask friends and others to refrain from being passengers just because you finally got a new car is beyond the pale. You should see a therapist ...... but make sure she is under thirty, good looking and isn't addicted to mu'u-mu'us!

Remember, when all is said and done it really is just a car!

"you finally got a new car...."
    ^
    Come on, Orconn, you are not like this.....

But that therapist idea sounds good.... who knows, may give her a ride in my car too....

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    I was extremely obsessed with my old Seville STS! I thought my obsession can't get worse than that, but I was wrong!

When I had the STS, I didn't have a serious problem in giving ride to people, although I was very careful about how they treat my Cadillac!

Now, I have got this brand new ATS, and I won't let anyone sit in it! I mean the person needs to be VERY special so that I can let him/her sit in my car. Family member, or very good friends, that's it! So far I already said no to an acquaintance who wanted a ride to the airport, and I used to give him a ride to the airport with my STS! Also I made it very clear in my work area that if we are going to have a guest to our group, do NOT expect me to go and pick up the guest! My Cadillac ATS is not a taxi!

Do I need to see a therapist, or I am OK?
    The "you know you own an ATS when..." thread is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-ats-when.html

And FWIW, I told your friends I wouldn't take them to the airport either.
    ben.gators and talismandave like this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I'm obsessed with thinking things are wrong with my car. But, it's nearly 25 years old. I've also gotten in the habit of keeping detail spray and cloth handy. I haven't refused a ride though.
    ben.gators likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    I'm obsessed with thinking things are wrong with my car. But, it's nearly 25 years old. I've also gotten in the habit of keeping detail spray and cloth handy. I haven't refused a ride though.
    There are some history.... Once, when I gave a ride to a guest and parked the car, I wanted to put the sun shield in. The guest wanted to "help", so she garbed one corner of the sun shield, and started to pull an push and hit the rear view mirror repeatedly....

The same acquaintance that I refused to give him a ride, wanted to "help" when I was picking him up from the airport with my STS. So he grabbed his heavy suitcase, and while he was rubbing/scratching/hitting the bumper and the edge of the trunk, loaded it into the car.....

I don't know why people don't understand that they are actually damaging the car rather than helping me! So the easy solution is not to give a ride to the people! Case closed!
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    There are some history.... Once, when I gave a ride to a guest and parked the car, I wanted to put the sun shield in. The guest wanted to "help", so she garbed one corner of the sun shield, and started to pull an push and hit the rear view mirror repeatedly....

The same acquaintance that I refused to give him a ride, wanted to "help" when I was picking him up from the airport with my STS. So he grabbed his heavy suitcase, and while he was rubbing/scratching/hitting the bumper and the edge of the trunk, loaded it into the car.....

I don't know why people don't understand that they are actually damaging the car rather than helping me! So the easy solution is not to give a ride to the people! Case closed!
    Sounds like good logic to me.

I give rides, but I will chew someone out if they aren't using the floor mats, slamming the trunk, etc.

Generally there are 9 people who are allowed to ride in my car, and 5 are siblings. I may offer to drive if my potential passenger has a common destination, but i otherwise keep my driving on the dl.

Certain dweebweebs no longer are allowed, but that's cause they've been written off in general.
    ben.gators likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    And FWIW, I told your friends I wouldn't take them to the airport either.
    If you come to Oahu, I will be happy to give you rides, seriously!

But I myself will load the luggage into the car!
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

I don't do rides unless it's an emergency or there is nothing else to drive. I don't do dirt and I don't do soda unless I'm the one drinking it. I don't like people in my car period.
    ben.gators and CadillacLuke24 like this.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

I only let family, close friends, or a girl im interested in dating ride in my Cadillac. My biggest peeve is people touching my car or neighbors walking up to me while I am working on the car. I am not a barber, I can't talk to someone and concentrate on the car work at the same time. I have ruffled some feathers telling those pesky neighbors to beat it.
    ben.gators likes this.

I have had about 10 new cars and many nice used. I have never had a restored show car.

I hate inconsiderate people, and I never go out of my way to shuttle strangers.

Having said all that....
    I have always been one to offer to drive when with friends, and I have never told a friend they couldn't drink, or eat or even smoke in any of my cars. My friends and I have spilled and dropped and expelled almost anything imaginable over the years. One even dropped a lit cigar on my brand new Fiero seat, less than 2 months old! $50.00 and it was replaced and as good as new. Was I pissed? Sure, but did it make me not offer to drive my friend around? Not a chance.

I believe that my cars are to be used to have good times and especially good times with friends. I wish that would mean that accidents didn't happen but they do. To me, and by me!

It is only money, and my friends always have been the kind to offer to pay to fix or clean whatever they did.(With very few exceptions.) Sometimes I take them up on the offer, usually not.

Now that I am getting older and many of those friends have passed away, I am glad for every spill, scratch, dent, and burn we ever inflicted upon all my cars, and the memories and stories I have to tell.

Just another point of view, not an indictment or saying anyone else should be so careless with their car.

P.S. Wait til you have kids!

^
    I totally see your point, and appreciate you for your point of view and your kindness.

That being said, I don't feel comfortable giving ride to strangers, acquaintances, or inconsiderate friends! I do many things to do kindness and service to others. For example, I regularly donate blood, I buy food for homeless,.... But my Cadillacs are NOT included in this service to the others!

And by the way, if you come to Hawaii, you will be my special guest and friend in my ATS, but no smoking in my car! Basically all of my CF friends have a pass!
    talismandave likes this.

I by no means meant to imply anything against you or anyone who wants to preserve their car!

Some day I would love to be able to take you up on that offer!
    ben.gators likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Now that I am getting older and many of those friends have passed away, I am glad for every spill, scratch, dent, and burn we ever inflicted upon all my cars, and the memories and stories I have to tell.
    My cars are pristine but I have as many priceless memories and stories. I just dented and spilled twice as much in their cars.

P.S. Wait til you have kids!
    Didn't plan to have any....................... Then they invented DNA paternity tests. Bad luck, that. I mean scientists are usually not that good at marketing so could just as easily been used for maternity testing.

But seriously, we had great luck with our one child. He never spilled a thing in a car but that's because none of us EVER brought an open liquid into one. All our cup holders are still virgins. He did throw up ONCE in a car but that was our fault; we thought we could make it a few more blocks after he told us his stomach didn't feel well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.