Home School
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Home School in General Discussion; Since this is such a diverse and helpful forum I thought I would query you for information. I am looking ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Since this is such a diverse and helpful forum I thought I would query you for information. I am looking for Home School curriculum and web sites to visit that you all would recommend.
    Good point KOT, i suppose that would have been helpful , I am looking for Middle school information.
    The sites(and curriculum) I have found seem to be either over priced for the number of subjects offered, just plain not helpful or lacking in detailed information of what is offered. Haven't been able to find reliable informative reviews and do not want to waste time/energy/money and teaching time on wrong curriculum. Leaning more towards all downloadable books/materials as any reading material will be anyways. Many thanks in advance.

Please do not turn this thread into a debate of pros/cons of either public or home schools or trashing of either. We can start another thread on that another time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Home School

I don't have any experience in on line/home schooling. But I am sure it would help in what kind of degree you are looking for.

KOT

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Have you tried to find a local homeschool association to ask them for input?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I dunno about websites, but as far as curriculum goes I (and my siblings), up till 8th grade, used Bob Jones stuff. Math, spelling, science, history, english. Good books, fairly challenging, decent teacher's manuals. I think they'd be worth a look into.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    I dunno about websites, but as far as curriculum goes I (and my siblings), up till 8th grade, used Bob Jones stuff. Math, spelling, science, history, english. Good books, fairly challenging, decent teacher's manuals. I think they'd be worth a look into.
    Bob Jones... As in Bob Jones University Bob Jones? Seriously?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I just googled "nc home school" or "nc home school programs" and came up with a shit load of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    Bob Jones... As in Bob Jones University Bob Jones? Seriously?
    Would you care to argue with the track record of a 4.0 GPA salutatorian and 2 4.0 GPA valedictorians?

It may not be everybody's cup of tea belief-wise, but they have good stuff. And with the right teacher, such as my Dad (and from what it sounds like, rodnok), the kids will do very well.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

If it produces someone like Luke...count me in!

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

^^^^ This
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

My BF went to Bob Jones. I didn't know they had homeschool stuff. That was the "seriously" part. Well, that and the racism and strange science text books are a little off putting.

Yes Range there is a ton of information online, information overload was reached. Unfortunatly I do not know anyone local to help weed through it and give an honest opinion.

I'll take a gander at Bob Jones stuff Luke, thank you.

Edit- that looked funky what I typed it.... now I know why
    I really shouldn't post with a migraine anymore. When I read them later sometimes they make no sense.
    Faith76 likes this.

LOL Bob Ross...
    Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Yes Range there is a ton of information online, information overload was reached. Unfortunatly I do not know anyone local to help weed through it and give an honest opinion.

I'll take a gander at Bob Ross stuff Luke, thank you.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

From what you have said thus far, I am not sure of the objectives you hope to achieve by home schooling your children. Are you seeking a religious slant to the curriculum and if so which one of the many available? Or are just trying to isolate your kids from what may be objectionable in public or private education? I am neither a proponent or an opponent of home schooling. Case can be made for either approach to a child's education. I would think if you are looking for a particular bias to affect the curriculum you want for your kids, then there would be materials available for the teaching which supports that bias.

Do you have particular plans for their higher education? That might also affect your choice of curriculum. If you have in mind where you think you children might attend college (if in fact that is your intention) it might be a good idea to contact that institution to see if they have any home school curriculum recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    My BF went to Bob Jones. I didn't know they had homeschool stuff. That was the "seriously" part. Well, that and the racism and strange science text books are a little off putting.
    Gotcha. I was a little testy last night, so no harm intended.

You guys

Good idea Orconn, I have intentions of sending to an early college and not attending a standard High School. I will shoot them the question about curriculums.
    Not looking for any particular slant, religous or otherwise and that is one of the problems finding materials.
    Mainly looking for an advanced curriculum, the basics being taught are not cutting it. I paid particular attention to coursework and read most of the school books from last year and they were almost insulting the low level being taught. These were supposed to be advanced classes and half the stuff was covered the previous 2 years. It was almost a waste to send to school last year. I feel another year there will put him behind the curve. If you're not moving forward you're moving backwards...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.