Home School - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Home School in General Discussion; ^^^ I would look long and hard before I would have a kid of mine go to college early. There ...
    orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Home School

^^^ I would look long and hard before I would have a kid of mine go to college early. There are a lot of experiences and insights and just plain growing up that needs to done in high school to be ready to get as much as possible from the college experience.

I am not talking theoretically here. My son, due to his birth date, was a full year age behind his class mates. While this posed no problem academically, it did impact his social development. My cousin's two youngsters both skipped their senior years and went directly to the University of Illinois. Again they both had no problem academically but they were behind the eight ball socially. This is especially important in the case of developing peer friendships, but most importantly in developing leadership skills.

If you son tests in the gifted, or more importantly the "Highly Gifted" range, I would definitely check out programs available in North Carolina for children who are intellectually and academically capable of doing much more advanced work than required in the regular curriculum. In California we had the "Highly Gifted" elementary, jr. high and high schools. Here in Virginia we have the "Governor's High Schools" which cater to the gifted student. I have heard good things about North Carolina's educational system and I would think that NC would have special schools for this group also.

I would check with your universities to see where these schools are located and what the requirements for attending one of these schools would be.

What does your son's current high school or jr high school think of you son's abilities? Has he been recommended to take an official I.Q. test ((usually this is required for entrance to intellectually gifted (not high achievement or other forms of gifted programs) )). There are very real requirements and qualifications necessary for being in the most highly advanced programs. I would think that someone specializing in the education of "gifted" or "highly gifted" at UNC or one of the first rate private institutions could give you the guidance you seem to be seeking. I would definitely give it a try.

Unfortunately, the primary and secondary education of gifted children is only just beginning to given any real thought in most of the U.S. school systems. So it is up to the parent to ferret out the resources most suitable for educating a very bright child. You may find, after much searching, that home schooling is the best route available to you, but if this is the case I would think long and hard about how you son can have the high school experiences that will make him better prepared for the college experience.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Check into sailing forums. When I was active in the hobby there were always articles about schooling "on board".

Cadillac Jane is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville SLS/155,000

Hi, I have spent time with home schooled middle school students in SC and have enjoyed every minute. The students that thrive are home schooled but have a larger home schooled student group they do projects with during the school year. The parent(s) that are in charge of the home schooling have support through these groups, also. It is a lot of work to home school!! So my advice is to see if you can find other parents that are homeschooling even if you have to travel an hour or so to talk to them in person. They are a tightly knit bunch and readily share info.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I saw this link and though of this thread. Might be helpful. It looks like they are mainly selling books and supplies, but I bet somebody there could give you some insight too.
    http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org...ool-trial/?c=1

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.