Recommend me a second car?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Recommend me a second car? in General Discussion; Hi fellow Caddy lovers, I want to spend as little as possible on a manual car so I can learn ...
    agp
    agp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6L Sport | R1 drilled/slotted

Recommend me a second car?

Hi fellow Caddy lovers,

I want to spend as little as possible on a manual car so I can learn how to drive one, and learn some car mechanics while fixing its many inevitable problems. I also want to drive it around for fun over the weekend (convertible two seater preferred). Any recommendations? I am currently looking at Mazda MX-5's.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Recommend me a second car?

As you mentioned, convertible+ two seater+fun car+easy to fix+cheap=Miata

Also 80's BMW 3-series is a good idea too.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    I want to spend as little as possible on a manual car so I can learn how to drive one, and learn some car mechanics while fixing its many inevitable problems. I also want to drive it around for fun over the weekend (convertible two seater preferred). Any recommendations? I am currently looking at Mazda MX-5's.
    One of the twins. And if you roll that way, the turbo models have a GM tune available that puts out ~300HP (look the amount up, my memory may be off).

Saturn Sky:

Pontiac Solstice:

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Those should come with a size/height restriction.

agp

A few more things...

1. These cars will be subject to Michigan winters.

2. By cheap I mean ~$5000. Or less.

3. Should I look into Nissan Z's? Or should Z's before 350 be avoided?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by agp
    A few more things...

1. These cars will be subject to Michigan winters.

2. By cheap I mean ~$5000. Or less.

3. Should I look into Nissan Z's? Or should Z's before 350 be avoided?
    Good luck finding a 70s-90s Z that isn't either trashed out by some teenager or rotted from michigan winters.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I love the Skystice twins. The door sills are high like most modern cars, unfortunately, and the interior is cheap, but who cares when you're having that much fun? Their structures are super stiff and stock handling is simply brilliant, handily outperforming the softly sprung third-gen Miata.

I would strongly recommend a first-generation (90-96) Miata over all else. If you can find an M-edition that would be ideal. A second-gen Mazdaspeed would be great too but the space is a bit tighter.

It's a shame that so few manufacturers (in the US) built RWD two-seater verts. The Dodge Demon was going to be pretty interesting.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Forget the 2 seaters. If you want something cheap and fun go with a fox body mustang. Can still find a clean one for under 5k and they respond well to modifications. Not to mention the availability of after market parts is second to none. Easy to work on too.
    EcSTSatic and bigm57ict like this.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Keep in mind that if you expect this car to cope with Northern Midwest winters, you may not find a rear wheel drive drive train to be you best choice!

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

As a past owner of a Fox I recommend that you be careful. A clean car doesn't mean a good one. The build quality of these cars is absolutely terrible and the engines are not as powerful as legend would have you believe. Those cars were cheap performance in their day but things have evolved and you will find that the cars with real power do not have a stock motor (read much more than bolt on parts). Yes the after-market is vast but if you buy a problem car you will be spending money on repairs instead of tweaks. I've had three Mustangs and all were less than satisfying. If you want a good 5spd two seat car (well, it has backs seat but nothing you want to sit in) look at the 1g 90-94 DSM cars. The Eclipse, Talon and Laser can be had in turbo all wheel drive and represent a huge bang for the buck. There is a good after-market and they absolutely respond well to mods. A lot of these cars have been beaten in to the ground so pay more for a better one and look carefully at the tranny in any car as this is a weak point. My Turbo Talon was a blast and of the 19 or so cars I have owned it is the only one I miss. The 95-99 cars have a bit more power and better suspension but crank walk is an issue. These cars are also easy to work on.

eldorado_sean is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98' Eldorado ESC
    Bmw e30
    Nissan s14 240sx
    Mk3 supra
    1994 mazda rx7
    Nissan s13 240sx

Kind of ricer but its a cheap car to have fun in!

2000 Pontiac trans am
    Camaro (not sure which one)

----------

Also z32 300zx

agp

I'm not looking to do much modification other than brakes, brakes, and brakes. Maybe springs. But that's it. I feel like when it comes to older cars, Americans should be avoided, otherwise I would have jumped on some muscle cars. I will look more into MX-5, RX7, and perhaps Supras, if I can ever find one within 200 miles of me.

And what is so special about older BMWs (not a rhetorical q)? A lot of people seem to be recommending them.

Oh and this car does not have to be two seaters. But I don't expect anyone to sit in the back. So no big cars please.

And how do you know if the transmission is in good condition when you buy a car?

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Well he did say he was looking for something to work and learn on so ya get a DSM. If you try to have any fun with it, you will be working on it a lot. I've known many DSM owners and most of those cars spent more time on jack stands than they did on the road.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

RX7 and Supra will be high maintenance to match their high performance.

As for older BMWs, they are simple, dependable, and sturdy in addition to being genuine fun to drive. Parts are still plentiful. The challenge now is finding a clean one at a decent price as enthusiasts snap them up and turn them into amateur race cars.

agp

Quote Originally Posted by R/T kota View Post
    Well he did say he was looking for something to work and learn on so ya get a DSM. If you try to have any fun with it, you will be working on it a lot. I've known many DSM owners and most of those cars spent more time on jack stands than they did on the road.
    I do remember watching the first Fast and Furious (or was it the second?) when they just came out and loving the Eclipse. More the second generation than the third generation. By "if you try to have any fun with it" do you mean if I track it? I don't plan on doing that, just as my grocery getter on weekends, or driving to friend's houses etc. My commute will still be done in the CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    RX7 and Supra will be high maintenance to match their high performance.

As for older BMWs, they are simple, dependable, and sturdy in addition to being genuine fun to drive. Parts are still plentiful. The challenge now is finding a clean one at a decent price as enthusiasts snap them up and turn them into amateur race cars.
    Will look into old BMWs more, thanks!

Any tips on what to look for when buying an old used car, like the MX-5, Eclipse, or 3xx?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.