Funny but expensive business/workplace screwups.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Funny but expensive business/workplace screwups. in General Discussion; What are the most hilarious screw-ups you ever saw at work. It should involve financial damages. The Detroit bankruptcy made ...
    Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Funny but expensive business/workplace screwups.

What are the most hilarious screw-ups you ever saw at work. It should involve financial damages. The Detroit bankruptcy made me remember the funniest thing a friend of mine ever saw (I'll include it later).

A long time ago in a Galaxy far far away. I had purchased an IBM 3081D mainframe for the company. 3081s were water cooled but required either a water to water or water to air heat exchanger. The company's previous mainframes had been strictly air cooled. The 3081 had a water to air exchanger in the same room. As you would imagine the room ACs that had to cool a mainframe had the capacity to cool an empty room to near freezing. The larger of the three AC units apparently had a defective thermostat and caused the unit to run continuously. Nobody ever noticed before because by itself it couldn't handle the heat from a mainframe and should have run continuously. It wasn't long after the old mainframe was powered down that the room started to freeze over. The installers, turned the AC with a bad thermostat off but forgot to turn it back on when they were done. The new mainframe was powered up and all diagnostics were good so the Operations staff took over and started production work. That was in the wee hours. The Operations manager arrived the next morning to find a myriad of alarms sounding and the entire operations staff stripped down to their underwear and sweating profusely. They had been continuously resetting the mainframe overheating alarms and it was pretty well fried. When asked why they didn't shut the mainframe down and call AC maintenance, they said they would have except they had been told the new mainframe was water cooled so they didn't think 125+ degree air temperature would hurt it and they would just tough it out until management arrived the next day.

----------

This is the story that was the inspiration for the thread.

A friend of mine was working in Detroit at the time of some riots. The National Guard declared a curfew and were enforcing it with M16s, so a bunch of people were going to be stuck at work for the whole night after their shift ended. Right before the curfew, my friend and some coworkers hit a restaurant to get some food for later. I guess they weren't the only ones with that plan because the the restaurant was pretty much cleaned out. But they were able to buy a lot of frozen strawberry pies and cases of whipped cream, enough for 35+ people.

They realized the pies and whipped cream would not thaw out in time on their own so they stuck them inside mainframe computers. Unfortunately they misjudged how fast they would thaw and were too soon startled by the explosion of whipped cream cans. The mainframe cabinets were sheet metal with air circulating louvers. The shrapnel did serious damage to the computer as did the whipped cream which was now gushing out of the louvers like soap suds from Lucy's washing machine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dou1t2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Seville SLS and 99 Eldorado ESC,also 91 F-150 and a 73 MG

Re: Funny but expensive business/workplace screwups.

I run crews that reset stores. You ever go into the grocery store and coffee was on aisle 5 and now it's on aisle 3,7,11 or whatever? I travel where ever I'm needed, 12 states this year alone from LA,Ca to Anchorage,AK tto Fargo.ND. well anyway I was sent to Utah, and I was NOT in charge on this job. One of the things we check when moving mdse. is whether it's expired, as in most perishable food items have a sell by date on them. Stores are supposed to rotate their stock so that they are selling the oldest first, this seldom happens. So back to the reason for this relating to the OP's original posting. I'm working with another person and they see a bunch of Pennzoil bottles with an old date. This gal who was in charge conferred with another gal and said it's out of date, take it out back and toss it in the dumpster. I'm like calling BS on this, as I beleive motor oil doesn't go bad. The stuff they want me to toss I leave in the backroom for the night. I research it on the internet, and find that motor oil has a production date on it. I also find a couple of sites that say it isn't the oil that gets old, but the additives in breakdown over time, so it's best to buy fresh oil. I take this info into to these gals. I had printed a few pages explaining it. They were to busy to read it, and said just get rid of it. I and another employee tossed easily 20+ cases of oil in the dumpster! A few days later a new order of oil came in and it was out of date proving my theory. The younger gal who was in charge told me to toss it too! I went to the okder gal who was her boss and re=explained my point. She finally got it! and asked me to not say another word! I didn't! I just wrote it!..................

I just remembered another. And if you enjoy "why are some things done a particular way?" you will get a kick.

The company was building a new 12 story building and parking garage. They were to be the only structures on a whole city block. Thru the planning and construction, I kept asking why all the plans had North at the bottom of the drawings instead of the top. At one point the Architect got pretty upset in a meeting and said he didn't like amateurs questioning his company's work.

At some point, the city was brought in to assess traffic impacts. but I wasn't involved with that. They determined that the road the parking garage entrance and exit was on would need to be widened by one lane. Do I even have to finish the story? Yep, they widened the wrong street at the cost of over a million dollars to the taxpayers because they assumed North was at the top of all the drawings. Even if only a few people involved with the building knew a street was to be widened, I never understood how not a one of them ever raised a flag. Did they assume the street work was an unrelated project? I was never privy to any inquitision. It was never mentioned in any news article or report. There was never a budget overrun because they never did widen the street that was supposed to be.
    CadillacLuke24 and dou1t2 like this.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Working valet I've seen some pretty good screw ups. Cars not being park is a good one, had one guy(valet) who got his leg crushed between two bumpers because some old codger forgot to put his van in park and it rolled forward.

Another good one was the valet driving a box van into the garage, hit the sprinkler pipe, causing the garage to flood. It was really cold so the whole bottom level became an ice skating rink. The best part was when you depressurize a sprinkler system, it thinks there is a fire, so the fire alarm for the whole hotel went off at 11:00pm, people evacuated the building, fire department showed up.

Similar story, had a bacholorette party staying in a room. The dingbats decide to hang the pinata from the sprinkler. Similar scenereo, baseball bat to sprinkler head, fire alarm went off, hotel evacuated, water everywhere. The cool thing was this was an open atrium hotel, so the water was spilling off the 10th floor balcony like a waterfall into the breakfast area below.

Also had Shaun White staying at my hotel when he was arrested. ******* pulled the fire alarm at 2:30am, entire building evacuated. Best part is he tried picking a fight with another guest, some big huge dude. Got his ass whooped, if you look at his mug shot he has a huge shiner.

Tool was staying with us one year for Bonaroo. Not really a screwup, but every night security had to tell Manyard and his girlfriend to shut up, apparently their noisy, angry sex was keeping up the whole floor.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    Working valet I've seen some pretty good screw ups.
    LoL at all but the crushed leg.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Failure to backup Active directory on the domain controller before upgrading Windows Server 2003, not caused by me

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    Failure to backup Active directory on the domain controller before upgrading Windows Server 2003, not caused by me
    Why didn't they just ask the NSA for a copy?

Never mind. They probably didn't know they could back then.

----------

I don't know if its true; I had my doubts. But when I was in the Air Force in the '60s a Colonel swore he requisitioned some office supplies years before but entered some item number wrong and received a B17 wing instead.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I plead the 5th.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I plead the 5th.
    Heh heh. When does the statute of limitations run out?

And if by chance this is being opened up to willful acts of sabotage...

When I was starting out, there was an Administrator who was universally hated by every employee in his division. He constantly lied, cheated and stealed.

Due to growth, his whole division was to move to a floor that had enough contiguous space. Not having any useful skills or purpose, he decided to lay out the floor plans himself. This was before PCs and he used a huge paper grid. He had paper cutouts made of every piece of furniture and equipment. He would move them around on the paper grid and then draw in where he wanted the walls to go. Unfortunately for him, I had taken those cutouts and downsized them by snipping the edges. I blame it on too many Bugs Bunny cartoons in my youth. Moving day came and the actual equipment and furniture wouldn't fit in many of the rooms. It was for naught because they still didn't fire him. I did manage to finally get him canned years later when I ran my own division. Nothing underhanded that time, I just fed him enough rope for him to hang himself.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Back In the dark ages when I was an Ops Controller at a satellite tracking station, we came to work to find that the weekend shift had failed to record the data from one stationary spacecraft that we monitored 24/7 through misconfigured tape recorders. For data loss due to operator error the contractor paid a $4000/min penalty. A couple of us conspired to reconstruct the missing data by dubbing the data from a couple of days before, onto new tapes. This involved resetting the time on the time standard and a whole host of other gimmicks to pull off but we did it and got away with it. We figured we saved the company about $12,000,000.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Back In the dark ages when I was an Ops Controller at a satellite tracking station, we came to work to find that the weekend shift had failed to record the data from one stationary spacecraft that we monitored 24/7 through misconfigured tape recorders. For data loss due to operator error the contractor paid a $4000/min penalty. A couple of us conspired to reconstruct the missing data by dubbing the data from a couple of days before, onto new tapes. This involved resetting the time on the time standard and a whole host of other gimmicks to pull off but we did it and got away with it. We figured we saved the company about $12,000,000.
    How long did it take you to spend the standard 10% appreciation bonus?

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Had this 36 year old kid trip some breakers intentionally back when I was working at the super market managing stock orders or receiving/unloading it.

He cost his department ten-thousand dollars. Anyone else would have been canned and had their stock seized. He received no discipline. As the assistant store manager explained every tinea he messed up.

"He...has a 'card' that he can play."

Lifestyle choices should not issue a six year employee the right to intentionally cost his coworkers their bonus pay (about 500 each) because he does not like them.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    How long did it take you to spend the standard 10% appreciation bonus?
    I didn't get anything for this episode but for another I got the biggest beni sug bonus ever awarded by the company.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Between my senior year in high school and my freshman year in college I worked the Summer in the production control office of the Minuteman Missile Project. Today they would call me a Summer intern, but in those It was just a Summer job given to the children of employees (I spent two Summers working for different divisions of RCA).

One of the function of the production control office was to order parts for the assembly lines putting together the equipment that would guide and communicate with the Minuteman missiles during and after launch. I started out as runner carrying blueprints to the reproduction section for shipping out along with orders for various parts. by the end of the Summer I was actually writing up orders. Now I don't know whether it was one of my orders, but an order was put for a component transformer to go in one of the assemblies that guided the missile. This thing would have been very small and light weight.

When I was home on Spring break, my Dad (who was the Chief Engineer on RCA's portion of the Minuteman Project) was telling me that some fool in the production control office had misplace a number on an order for transformer and that the part had just been delivered .... in a special transformer train car and was sitting on the railway siding down at the plant. I don't know if it was my mistake or not, but I never told my dad that I might have had something to do with it!

The Minuteman Project was a CPFF (cost plus fixed fee) federal contract and was so abused that the company only benefitted by the mistake, but of course the tax payer took it in the shorts, which is why today very few CPFF contracts are let by the Feds.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

The unit I was working with threw all the hard drives for 1/2 the division into back of Hummer and when bouncing down the road for a couple hours. I guess cardboard boxes aren't good insulators because only 1 out of 10 worked after that, OT for 3 of us was 5k plus 200k for the drives easy.
    Same fellas moved the computers in the rain uncovered another 200k in monitors and servers destroyed.
    Mine was leaving the wrong cabinet unlocked and an idiot I worked with used my backup drives for something(all 6 of them) and the system died next day, I had to stay for 2 days(my time) using tapes to restore. My mistake for not booby trapping the damn things. Never did hear the end of that one, many people were mad.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.