Need some advice on hooking up a Blu Ray player to my old Sony high def tube tv . . .
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lacville78
  • 1 Post By bigm57ict
  • 1 Post By dkozloski
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Need some advice on hooking up a Blu Ray player to my old Sony high def tube tv . . . in General Discussion; So I have a 9-10 year old tube tv, 34" widescreen Sony beast, it is high def, weighs 250lbs, and ...
    Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Need some advice on hooking up a Blu Ray player to my old Sony high def tube tv . . .

So I have a 9-10 year old tube tv, 34" widescreen Sony beast, it is high def, weighs 250lbs, and I just cannot justify getting rid of it. Model number KD-34XS955

I'd like a bigger screen, about 40-50", but new flat panel tvs have shitty speakers, this old tv has some good ones. I guess that's my main reason for hanging onto it for so long, as I don't want to completely redo my audio setup to accommodate the tv, as all flat panels have really crappy speakers. Right now I'm running a 70's era Pioneer receiver I had refurbed with some 90's era Cerwin Vega floor speakers with 12" woofers that will shake the house down. IE this setup is not very good for tv, too much power, no remote to adjust the volume.

So I did buy a Blu Ray DVD player with my credit card points, it was basically free. Its an LG BP530.

These two devices will not play nice with each other for whatever reason. I have them hooked up through a brand new HDMI cable. When I power on the Blu Ray player it will pop up for a few seconds "LG Blu Ray" and then give me a blank screen. I can push home, menu, whatever on the remote, and the display on the player changes, indicating it recieved the command. I still receive a blank tv screen. I've tried inserting a dvd, blu ray, and a CD. No audio or video with any of these discs, and I know the CD was playing, as it had the timer going.

So what am I to do? I had numerous problems with this tv talking nice to my AT&T U-Verse box using the HDMI port, lots of error messages. I connected both of them with a coaxial cable and they have played nicely together ever since, zero problems. I've been on both Sony and LG's sites, no help there. I thought there might be a software update for my tv on Sony's website, but no dice.

I know there are a lot of geeks on this site, so if you can't help me, turn me over to a good home theatre forum for advice please!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It may be a problem with the HDMI cable, or possibly the port. Since HDMI cables transfer a completely digital signal, the TV will either display a perfect picture, pixel for pixel what the source is sending to it, or no picture (or sound) at all. The display doesn't know what to do with a partial signal. Unlike an analog signal, you won't simply get a "fuzzy", staticky, or otherwise degraded image if there's a problem (this is why claims of "premium" HDMI cables producing a sharper or more colorful image is COMPLETE BS, but that's a whole other topic).

Have you tried connecting another HDMI device? Or connecting the Blu-Ray player to another display?

----------

Oh, AVS forum has some pretty knowledgeable members.

lacville78 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Re: Need some advice on hooking up a Blu Ray player to my old Sony high def tube tv .

Ya, I think you'll have to run component. The older TV's with HDMI were some beta testing machines. I wish they never came with it, because all the port does is frustrate anyone who attempts to use it.
    Kingoftypos likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Need some advice on hooking up a Blu Ray player to my old Sony high def tube tv .

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    Ya, I think you'll have to run component. The older TV's with HDMI were some beta testing machines. I wish they never came with it, because all the port does is frustrate anyone who attempts to use it.
    That's my best guess too.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by lacville78 View Post
    I was hoping you wouldn't say that. TV was bought back in 2004 or 2005, one of the last tube tv's they made. Its so weird though that when I power up the unit I get the LG logo, then nothing.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

That sounds very similar to my setup. I don't have a tube TV anymore, but I do have the '70s Pioneer powering '90's speakers

Which reciever do you have? I have several from the '70's. I just can't stand the black plastic look of modern recievers.

Here's mine - Pioneer SX-850 (1976)

Real wood case, real glass in the display, machined aluminum knobs, and switches that have that satisfying "clunk".
    They just haven't made them like this in a long time.
    talismandave likes this.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I had a similar problem with a Philips flat screen but with a cable box and the HDMI port. Everything worked fine until I tried to use "On Demand" and the TV gave the message "unsupported video format" and went black. Component or straight Video worked ok. From time to time I tried different cable boxes and cabling with the same result. Just the other day I was fiddling with it and for the hell of it decided to go looking for a software update for the TV. I found one after some searching and by golly it fixed it. If you can get the TV to display the version number of your current software and with the TV model number do a Google search; you may come up with something. That's what I did. I had no luck at the Philips web site. Evidently when the cable box switched to the "On Demand" data there was something finarky about it that the TV HDMI port couldn't digest but the new software could.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

RemoteCentral.com is a good site too, I've been a member since early 2000's.

But I do have to agree with lacvill78. I wish they had dates of when these versions came out...

Q. What functionality was added to each version of HDMI?
    The following provides an overview of major functionality added to each version of HDMI:

HDMI 1.1:

Support for DVD Audio.
    HDMI 1.2:

Adds features and capabilities that increase HDMI's appeal for use in both the CE and PC industries. Specifically, the features and modifications for HDMI 1.2 include: Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD's DSD (Direct Stream Digital), changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including: availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats, ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color space, requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology.
    HDMI 1.2a:

Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features and command sets and CEC compliance tests are now fully specified.
    Creation of version 1.2a of the HDMI Compliance Test Specification (CTS), which includes a CEC Supplement. HDMI CTS 1.2a has been updated for technical consistency with HDMI Specification 1.2a as well as to the recently released HDMI Specification 1.2.
    Significantly, CTS 1.2a contains additional cable and connector testing and Authorized Testing Center (ATC) submission requirements. Specifically, under CTS 1.2a, the Adopter shall submit for testing to the ATC any new HDMI cable whose length exceeds previously tested cables.
    Additionally, HDMI Licensing, LLC will maintain a list of approved connectors. For a device to pass CTS 1.2a testing at an ATC, all connectors on such device must appear on the approved connector list. To add a connector to this list, the vendor must submit to the ATC or HDMI Licensing, LLC full and passing testing results.
    HDMI 1.3:

Higher speed: HDMI 1.3 increases its single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps) to support the demands of future HD display devices, such as higher resolutions, Deep Color and high frame rates. In addition, built into the HDMI 1.3 specification is the technical foundation that will let future versions of HDMI reach significantly higher speeds.
    Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.
    Broader color space: HDMI 1.3 adds support for “x.v.Color™” (which is the consumer name describing the IEC 61966-2-4 xvYCC color standard), which removes current color space limitations and enables the display of any color viewable by the human eye.
    New mini connector: With small portable devices such as HD camcorders and still cameras demanding seamless connectivity to HDTVs, HDMI 1.3 offers a new, smaller form factor connector option.
    Lip Sync: Because consumer electronics devices are using increasingly complex digital signal processing to enhance the clarity and detail of the content, synchronization of video and audio in user devices has become a greater challenge and could potentially require complex end-user adjustments. HDMI 1.3 incorporates automatic audio synching capabilities that allows devices to perform this synchronization automatically with total accuracy.
    New HD lossless audio formats: In addition to HDMI’s current ability to support high-bandwidth uncompressed digital audio and all currently-available compressed formats (such as Dolby« Digital and DTS«), HDMI 1.3 adds additional support for new lossless compressed digital audio formats Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio™.

I got the above from http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx

Wiki goes into it deeper with dates and what not... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_1.0_to_1.2

Personally I bought a Pioneer Kuro way back in 2008. Kuro was the first plasma panel that came with a "black screen" where as before the screen was a bit gray, so it couldn't produce black. This is where Pioneer stood out and all the other manufactures went "oh shi......t!!!"

I liked it a lot. I was able to hook up my self powered Mirage speakers directly to it. No need for an external amp, ran that way for years. Until lightning stuck the tv. I replaced the board that it hit and it worked fine for a month until another storm hit it again. WTF??? The only damage that it sustained both times was the fact that it shot the HDMI, nothing else was affected. So I had to resort to component cable, no biggie. Then I found out what chip was shot on the board. So I ordered two of those chips, $18 shipped. And replaced that chip. But after a while those chips would break down. So I ended up getting a Panasonic plasma, 2013 model. I was very dissapointed that I couldn't use my Mirage speakers directly with it. So I ended up buying a Pioneer Elite AVR, now I am happy. lol

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.