I hate kids!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, I hate kids! in General Discussion; Spelled Kidde. As in smoke and CO detectors. Tonight was twice in a month these devils ruined my sleep. Both ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I hate kids!

Spelled Kidde. As in smoke and CO detectors.

Tonight was twice in a month these devils ruined my sleep.

Both times, random short full volume blasts. Which led the first time to four freaked out dogs with sudden onset impaired bladder control. The first time the failure even involved the network between the detectors so every one in the house was doing it in unison. I had to climb a ladder and unplug and debattery each one until I found the culprit, naturally the next to last one.

Tonight at least no sympathetic reactions from the others, so was able to stop it before canine bladder control was overwhelmed. And people said I was crazy to travertine the entire house last year. So yes, demon Kidde, your carpet staining plans have been foiled.

Fortunately I have a half case of top of the line Kidde replacements because I could buy a case at wholesale for less than the number I needed at retail last year. Why did I need any, you ask? Well it seems you can't get an electrical permit here no matter how trivial the project without bringing everything in the house up to the latest codes, which includes networked detectors. And they almost made me install indoor toilets when I got a permit to relocate a kitchen sink. No wonder so many people skip getting permits.

None of the previous non-networked detectors ever failed in 20+ years BTW (including the Kidde brand ones) although had been replaced based on age periodically.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Thought that crap only happened to me. Wife would have smashed them with a broom long before I could have found the bad one...or I would have.
    They think they are pormoting "better safety" by requiring complete upgrades. You're right most people just skip the permit then and I'm sure huge mistakes are never caught that lead to more harm than any of the "upgrades" would have done. Luckily most inspectors here are dumb as dirt and I just tell them yep all fiixed up and here's a receipt showing the parts I bought...inkjet printers are your friend.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Re: I hate kids!

Speaking of those I have $hitbag renters next door and their CO/Smoke detector has been going off like every hour or so every day for the last 3 weeks.
    I can hear it from my fire pit so I drown it out with music but how F'n lazy can you be to either replace the battery or take it out geez

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Thought that crap only happened to me. Wife would have smashed them with a broom long before I could have found the bad one...or I would have.
    They think they are pormoting "better safety" by requiring complete upgrades. You're right most people just skip the permit then and I'm sure huge mistakes are never caught that lead to more harm than any of the "upgrades" would have done. Luckily most inspectors here are dumb as dirt and I just tell them yep all fiixed up and here's a receipt showing the parts I bought...inkjet printers are your friend.
    Yeah. I noticed that when inspection time came. I don't know if mine were dumb but they sure were far from thorough. Kind of reminded me of a high school teacher I had. Someone told me he'd watched him grade papers the previous year and he would just immediately write a grade on some and move on to the next one. So I went out of my way to study that and saw the ones he did that with were from A students. So, being an A student in that class I decided to do an experiment. I turned in the next paper with an elephant joke for one answer. I still got an A so I turned in the next one with mostly elephant jokes and still got an A. After that it was difficult to study hard if there was any distractions and there were always distractions. LoL

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Speaking of those I have $hitbag renters next door and their CO/Smoke detector has been going off like every hour or so every day for the last 3 weeks.
    I can hear it from my fire pit so I drown it out with music but how F'n lazy can you be to either replace the battery or take it out geez
    Any chance a fire marshal might intervene if you reported it? I wouldn't be surprised if it was illegal to have non functioning smoke detectors and would be shocked if it wasn't illegal to rent a property with non functioning detectors.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    This isn't accompanied by an unexplained smell of decomposition, is it?

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Nah probably just laziness and being to cheap to buy a battery for it.

My b.f. already had to go over there with a bag and a hammer to fix their flood lights that they left on 24/7 that shinned through my down stairs blinds all night lol
    Kad4Life and CadillacLuke24 like this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by ctschick
    nah probably just laziness and being to cheap to buy a battery for it.

My b.f. Already had to go over there with a bag and a hammer to correct their flood lights that they left on 24/7 and shinned through my down stairs blinds lol
    lol!

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Just tell him to use a rubber hammer... when a hot light is on a good wack will kill it. Most are too lazy to fix.
    I heard that on the net somewhere.... just saying.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

When I got my house back from my renters the Smoke alarm was beeping low battery. All of them were removed because they were too lazy cheap to buy a new battery, the only one still working was the one beeping in the basement. How you could live with that but constantly complain about the sound of my Dehumidifier in the basement in a closed laundry room (that I found unplugged at every inspection) is beyond me. There was also about three light fixtures in the whole house that still worked. Translation, Renters are a-holes!

Never again.

John

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN
    When I got my house back from my renters the Smoke alarm was beeping low battery. All of them were removed because they were too lazy cheap to buy a new battery, the only one still working was the one beeping in the basement. How you could live with that but constantly complain about the sound of my Dehumidifier in the basement in a closed laundry room (that I found unplugged at every inspection) is beyond me. There was also about three light fixtures in the whole house that still worked. Translation, Renters are a-holes!

Never again.

John
    Put it in your lease that batteries in the detectors must be changed, blah blah blah.

I once rented from the penny pincher hag. She put in the lease that I must leave a full toilet paper roll. I found that completely dumb. Cus I've helped my parents with their rentals and we would always give each place a good cleaning. Thusly getting the toilet paper roll wet and what not.

Yes I know the tenants wouldn't care. But if you have it in the lease that they are responsible for the detectors and batteries. At least you wouldn't be legally liable for their dumbasses if they die in a fire. God forbid of course.

KOT

It was, so was a lot of things, Enforcing it is another thing. I kept their security deposit, but they still left me with about $500 in things above that I had to fix. Not worth going to court over and tenants know it. MN is very tenant leaning in the laws. A landlord has very few rights short of a 24 hour notice of inspection. Even an eviction would take thousands in court costs and about 6 months. A tenant can't be evicted in the winter either or the power shut off, so guess who picks up that tab in the spring when they finally leave? Me. My tenants were just lazy and messy, but I inspected once a month and told them to clean up and change the air filter, neither ever got done. They knew there was nothing I could do. When the lease was up I refused to give them a new one. I am done being a landlord, not worth it in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by HAZZARDJOHN
    It was, so was a lot of things, Enforcing it is another thing. I kept their security deposit, but they still left me with about $500 in things above that I had to fix. Not worth going to court over and tenants know it. MN is very tenant leaning in the laws. A landlord has very few rights short of a 24 hour notice of inspection. Even an eviction would take thousands in court costs and about 6 months. A tenant can't be evicted in the winter either or the power shut off, so guess who picks up that tab in the spring when they finally leave? Me. My tenants were just lazy and messy, but I inspected once a month and told them to clean up and change the air filter, neither ever got done. They knew there was nothing I could do. When the lease was up I refused to give them a new one. I am done being a landlord, not worth it in the least.
    Why did you get stuck with the electric bill? If it was in their name, which it should be, then the bill follows them.

I learned from Mike Holmes and my electrical teacher. Never have the electric bill in your name if you are the landlord. Because if the tenant ever does something to the service, such as by passing the meter. Then the $200,000 fine is on you. This one episode where the tenant ran a weed farm by passed the meter and the electrician told Mike that the owner is lucky that the bill wasn't in her name. Other wise she would of had to pay that fine.

KOT

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Great tip for would be renters!

In Minnesota the homeowner whether his name or not will be liable for the bill if the tenants do not pay. this is a way for the utilities to have a better chance of collecting outstanding debts, while turning landlords into collection agents without the rights. It did not happen to me, but I know many landlords who it has happened to. Mike Holmes is from Canada, not Minnesota. My name is never on the utilities, but after they fail to collect, they would come after me, including putting a lean on the house if necessary. Really states vary greatly on Landlord rights. My friend owns a lot of properties in detroit, and he can evict with 30 day notice and a simple court charge for any reason. I have to go to petition the court, get a lawyer, wait for a hearing, wait for a ruling, wait for the eviction to be handled voluntarily, then a 60 day notice from the Sheriff and finally I get my house back. If it is November I can't kick them out until April. Seriously why anyone would want to be a landlord is beyond me.

Same goes with Connecticut. At least back in the days when my patents were landlords. I know a lot of court fillings were done through out the years to give the landlords more rights.

Let me guess, Minnesota a blue state just like Connecticut?

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.