Motorsports
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Motorsports in General Discussion; I don't remember seeing any threads on the topic. Are any loungers motorsports fans? I don't care about drag racing. ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Motorsports

I don't remember seeing any threads on the topic. Are any loungers motorsports fans?

I don't care about drag racing. They are over almost before they start.

And I don't care much for paved oval racing except Indycars and NASCAR Super Modified.

I don't care for any other NASCAR series except when they are on road courses.

I used to be almost totally into open wheel racing but F1 and what they now call Indycars aren't as good as they were decades ago so I branched out. Those are still excelent though and I have high hopes for F1 which is dropping V8s and going to turbo 6s (and more HP) next year. They came close to going back to 2 litre turbos which would have been even better. Those were pumping out 1200 HP back in the day in a car that barely weighed that many pounds, so who knows what they could do now; but of course they wouldn't allow that much power nowadays. I worked the '90 US GP on Saturday and Sunday (would rather not be working during the actual race) I suspect my son got into motorsports because he could walk the F1 pits at the US GP in '90. In those days, you could get inside the pits and watch the mechanics work (except when the track was open) and even touch the cars. He met a lot of the racers including Senna but doesn't remember much about the drivers since he was just 3 years old at the time. He sure remembers the cars though. He even got his picture on the front page of the Arizona Republic newspaper with the provisional pole sitter in '89 or '90. Actually it was a picture of the provisional pole sitter at speed on track and my son and I were in the crowd beside the track. loL

I am crazy about DTM and can't wait for the US version to start in 2014 or 15. I assume Cadillac will race the ATS in the series. Surely the US series won't just run the German brands (the D in DTM) as in Europe.

I never miss watching a V8 Supercars race although the new spec chassis with IRS has lost something. They don't have to make as many compromises in the setup with IRS which dulls it down a bit.

I really like BTCC but not the WTC so much for reasons I really can't put my finger on.

I would love to follow (non-oval) karting but of course its a perennial (never misspell that word BTW) shambles in the US and no TV coverage of European series.

Since they started broadcasting them in recent years, I probably enjoy MotoGP more than any other form of motorsport. I hated Moto2 the year it replaced the 250 class but now I think its great. I expected to feel the same when the 125 class was replaced by Moto3 but it was great from the start.

I follow WSB but with less interest when there are no top Americans.

I watch AMA Superbike but its still rebuilding and does not have as many great riders as other series.

So what do you watch or follow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Motorsports

Lucky enough to attend 2 LeMans and a Monaco GP when I was stationed in Italy. Raced both 2-stroke and 4-cycle dirt track scrambles for Bultaco and Triumph in the 60's. Amateur road course racer in MG, Austin-Healey and Jaguar, late 50's, early 60's. Fortunate enough to have been in the right places at the right times to drive - and drive fast - several exotic production sports and several pure race cars. Still like to drive - under all conditions.......... and I have done 5 runs in AA Fuel (yes, it's over quickly).

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Just V8 super cars for me I DVR it for my b.f. and watch it with him anything besides that and 1/4 mile with street cars is boring to me.
    My b.f. is NHRA licensed and used to do the 8.50 index races so I used to get dragged to a lot of those but I wont watch it on t.v. just to boring for me.

In person it is a lot different for me especially with cars that you could possibly see actually driving on the streets.
    Same reason I can get in to v8 super cars both doors and the trunk still open on the cars when they wreck the trunks fly open and ect..

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Just V8 super cars for me I DVR it for my b.f. and watch it with him anything besides that and 1/4 mile with street cars is boring to me.
    My b.f. is NHRA licensed and used to do the 8.50 index races so I used to get dragged to a lot of those but I wont watch it on t.v. just to boring for me.
    FWIW, when I said I don't care about drag racing, I meant I don't watch it on TV. I wouldn't go out of my way to attend one but very much enjoy the sounds when I am at one, which is true of most motorsports I don't watch on TV.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Drag racing for me but I don't follow NHRA anymore. I follow the outlaw 10.5, pro street, and drag radial racing more than anything. No dragsters or funny cars and definitely no bracket or index cars with electronics. They killed the sport as far as I am concerned. Always going to the local tracks to help out friends that race and hope to be racing myself again soon when I finish my car. Buying my STS put a big dent in the build funds lol.

I used to follow nascar a lot but got tired of the Jimmy Johnson racing series it was becoming. Lost interest very fast. Might watch one or two races a year now.

Lost interest in indy way back when they did the split.

F1 always bored me. Follow the leader does nothing for me.

I will pretty much watch any discipline of racing at an amateur level.

Quote Originally Posted by R/T kota View Post
    Drag racing for me but I don't follow NHRA anymore. I follow the outlaw 10.5, pro street, and drag radial racing more than anything.
    What is drag radial racing? Is it some kind of tire spec racing.

R/T kota is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS 4, 67 Firebird, and a pair of SS Impalas

Yes. Most of the drag tire manufactures make a drag radial tire now. A bit more of a challenge to get them down the track with the higher HP cars but if you know how to set the car to work with them, you get what we call a dead hook. A lot of guys I know who got them to work have damaged the rear bumper.

A lot of classes will even limit you to size. 275 is one of the popular classes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebFwVQSTnfo some good examples of drag radial here

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Diehard Jeff Gordon fan, even if it is the JJ racing series.

I don't have access to extended cable, so NASCAR is about it.

GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

I've always liked open wheel racing, but the Indycar split ruined that aspect of it. Its one thing to watch such races on TV, but ever since attending my first Formula 1 race, I was hooked on it. F1 is just technologically amazing! Unfortunately, the US is going to ruin it for US spectators... as usual. Ticket for the Austin race last year were rediculous. There was NO on-site parking - had to park by the convention center and take a shuttle. And the hotel/motels went nuts - Motel 6 was charging over $600 for a room. Austin is going to overprice everything surrounding the event to the point where nobody wants to be bothered.

I do support Team Cadillac by attending the Pirelli World Challenge races with my XLR Club. The Cadillac Corral is an outstanding value and the food is great. And getting to take parade laps in a brand new CTS-V doesn't hurt. Their races are too short for my tastes, but it is what it is.

I've been working part-time at Gateway Motorsports Park lately and have been exposed to several new Motorsports categories that I wouldn't usually care for. I got stationed at the "Newbie" post for Formula Drift last weekend. Cars sliding sideways coming directly at you at over 60 MPH is not my idea of a good time. These guys race in what I can only categorize as 50% controlled chaos. They would drop 1 or two wheels off the racing surface and never lift, just slide it back up on the pavement. Their racing lines were totally opposite of the road race lines which meant several spun off track right behind me. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy it; I can't say its something I'd pay to watch, let alone participate in; and I won't be working another of their events again.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1976 El Camino Classic | 92 Caprice Wagon (On hold for now)

Huge NASCAR fan. Have been since I was about 3 years old.

Also a huge V8 Supercars fan. Lowndes ftw!

F1 bores the piss out of me, though. Not really sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Diehard Jeff Gordon fan, even if it is the JJ racing series.
    Damn good sprint car driver. Now he races in NASCAR CUP where the races are far too short, often less than 10 laps. I have a hard time getting into the heat races (I think NASCAR calls then green flag periods).

I don't have access to extended cable, so NASCAR is about it.
    If you want to learn or brush up on your Spanish, you might be able to watch F1 on Spanish local stations, if you have any. At least they broadcast them here same day time delay.

The next two MotoGP rounds are in the US. They are sometimes shown on a major over the air (and basic cable) network. It is incredible; I think MotoGP is the best racing series at the moment by a good margin. They race at 200 MPH almost dragging their helmets on the ground and rubbing paint. It's not for the squeamish because there are invariably offs at high speed, which have resulted in deaths of several top riders in the past few years. The top two in the championship, including the reigning champion missed last weekend's race because of broken bones from major high sides in practice. And the race before that the reigning champion raced with broken bones from practice for that race.

The official MotoGP site posts a crash montage from race weekends. Here's the latest (they force you to click and watch on YouTube):

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.