Excuse me miss (What have YOU been pulled over for lately?) - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Excuse me miss (What have YOU been pulled over for lately?) in General Discussion; Except for once, the few times I've been pulled over were justified. The one that wasn't was when I was ...
    77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Re: Excuse me miss (What have YOU been pulled over for lately?)

Except for once, the few times I've been pulled over were justified. The one that wasn't was when I was 16. I was driving Elizabeth (my first 77 CDV) home from school. About a mile from home, I get pulled over by the sheriff. License, registration, proof of insurance blah blah blah. I was waiting to see what the charge was going to be, as I knew I'd done nothing illegal. The cop informs me that he stopped me because I "looked too young to be driving that car." I fixed him with my most baleful look, demanded my license and paperwork back, and drove off.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Since this thread as strayed far from "recently" (mainly because of posters like me) and the other posts jarred my memory about other stops, I will now post EVERY stop I can recall in order:

First week I had my license I got stopped for not stopping at a stop sign. I actually did stop behind the sign as per the law and then crept up to see better each way before proceeding. I was pleasantly surprised that the cop decided not to write a ticket after I showed him he could not see behind the sign where I did stop from his vantage point. I did make a habit from then on to stop again any time I had to move forward after a stop sign to make sure the road was clear. He did write me up for not wearing glasses. I did not realize the requirement was on my license. Apparently, if you wear glasses when you take the test they add the restriction. I went back and retested without glasses and the judge dismissed the charge.

About a year later, I was turning left behind someone and something must have spooked them because they slammed on their brakes mid turn and I bumped them. Minor bumper damage only. Guilty of following too close and talking to passenger at the same time. Plead guilty. Lesson learned.

Already posted about bored trooper stop in Oklahoma.

A stretch limo started flashing headlights at me in downtown Phoenix one night in the late 60's or early 70's. So I sped up and turned as soon as possible. The limo followed me for miles as I turned at just about every corner. We finally ended up stopped 2nd and 3rd in line at a red light that just changed. The driver jumped out of the limo and ran to my door and showed a badge and told me to pull over. Apparently Highway patrolmen drive the governor's limo. I don't even remember why he said he wanted to pull me over just that he said he was now late for picking up the governor and didn't have time to write a ticket.

In the mid 70's A souped up Harley rider was stupid enough to want to street race a chambered H2 I happened to be on and I was still stupid enough to accept. The road was empty ahead but had a sweeping left then right after about half a block. But there was a moto cop hiding in a lot behind us. I easily won the race but further down the road the cop pulled me over. He wanted to write a ticket but he had almost crashed taking those turns at speed and his hand was shaking so badly he couldn't write so he gave a verbal warning.

I was stopped in '75 for expired plates. I just hadn't put the new ones on. As I pulled over I was behind a bar with it's front on a side street and I heard shots. I told the cop I heard shots and he said "yeah sure, you did. You think I will fall for that?". So as he wrote the ticket the call came in over his radio about an armed robbery at that bar with shots fired. I said "I told ya". He glared at me and took off with my license. I had to pick up my license at the station and the SOB still wrote the ticket even when I showed him the current plates and him knowing it would be dismissed when I showed them to the judge.

Late one night in '77 or '78 a lady ran a red light and barely clipped my back bumper. This was pre-cell phones and no open businesses or pay phones for over a mile. So after getting her name, address, etc. I walked to a pay phone to get a cop out there. I wasn't about to drive to a phone and have her claim I left the scene of an accident. When I got back, she was gone and the cop had already written a ticket for ME based solely on some story she gave him. I plead not guilty told my story and showed pictures and the judge literally ripped the cop a new one right there in open court for the grossest incompetence by a police officer he had ever seen.

I was stopped in Phoenix for too rapid a lane change. I don't recall the time frame. I liked to really lay a bike over when changing lanes. I guess sparks from the exhaust was too far. I plead guilty but took a traffic safety class in lieu of it going on my record.

I was stopped North of Wickenburg AZ in '81 or thereabouts by a psycho highway patrolman. He explained that I didn't do anything illegal but he didn't like motorcycles on HIS highway so he was going to write me a speeding ticket. I talked a lawyer friend into representing me for free. When he found out the court was over an hour from Phoenix, he got on the phone and talked to the judge who it turned out he knew and played golf with on occasion. I don't know how but he got it dismissed over the phone.

I was stopped in Utah in '85 because another driver reported me going 10 MPH over the limit with their CB. Apparently that was a very common thing in Utah at the time. Obviously he couldn't write a ticket based on that but what he did instead still boggles my mind. Just for chit chat I asked him what road do I take to get to such and such town. I knew the turn off was about 5 miles ahead. But he said I had already passed the turnoff 5 miles back and I needed to go up a mile to the next interchange and come back this way. As I pulled away, I watched him pull into the media and set up to radar clock people coming the way he said I needed to do.

In '87 or '88 I completed a pass with less time to spare than a sheriff's deputy liked. I plead guilty but took a safety class in lieu of it going on my record.

I already posted above about my written warning in the late '80s after doing 165+ in a 50 zone.

In '90 I was riding near Wickenburg with a friend. We were coming down a mountain highway and came upon a bicycle race or bicycle something. We decided to slot in behind then for a while since they were at a good clip on the steep downhill stretch and there weren't any good places to pass for a while. A highway patrol car come by the other direction and turns around and pulls us over. You may have already guessed, it was the very same psycho patrolman as before. He said he paced us going 80 MPH and wrote us each a ticket for that. We caught up to the bikes and at their next stop got contact info from someone who would testify we had been riding behind the bicycles for almost a mile when the cop went by and until we were stopped. I filed a formal complaint and before the trial date we received letters saying the tickets had been rescinded. I hope mine was the complaint that finally got his badge yanked.

I already posted (another thread) about the time I was pulled over in my Syclone in '92 or around then. Long story short: the cops honestly thought I failed to stop because they could not conceive a vehicle going as fast as I was when they saw it just after the stop if I had stopped. I went to court and convinced the judge I was innocent based partially on black box printout (I had a portable one for track use but I often had it running all the time in whatever I was driving). The judge found me innocent. The cop caught up with me in the parking lot, gave me his phone number and said I should call him so we could meet somewhere and talk. I didn't.

In 2002 I was pulled over on a Friday night. I was in an SVT Focus which if you are not familiar, at the time had the fastest slalom speeds of ANY production car except one Porsche model according to Road and Track. I was never happy with under 1 G in a corner and could sometimes hit 1.25Gs. The cop pulled me over after one such turn. When he saw me, he said: "I'm sorry, being this kind of car, I thought you were some high school kid hot rodding it after the big game. Sorry to bother you." My son not driving yet, was in the car and he was not amused at the implication of what he had to look forward to. He's 26 now BTW with only one ticket for accidentally turning onto a carpool only freeway entrance.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ Sounds like you got to know most of the LEOs in the Phoenix area over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    ^^^ Sounds like you got to know most of the LEOs in the Phoenix area over the years!
    I met many more police in other situations.

When I was in the Air Force we had a laboratory on the grounds of Lackland AFB in San Antonio. I was tuning a friends car in a parking lot during lunch in '69 or '70 when a trainee comes up to me with a .22 revolver and tells me to drive him to Detroit. I have no idea where he got the gun. It turns out he couldn't hack basic training and wanted to go home. When he asked nice, they told him no. The irony of the situation was that he was likely a subject of an experiment I was working on related to 10,000 inductees who did NOT meet minimum standards in place at the time. He was in a very bad way and I soon realized I had to be very careful. For example, he asked if we had to cross any state lines going from San Antonio to Detroit. And when I tried to tell him we were almost out of gas and I didn't have money (both lies) he immediately wanted to fill the tank at the next station and shoot the attendant. I convinced him to wait until we were closer to empty. During that time, I convinced him they would be looking for this car by now and he should get as far from it as he can. He agreed and I left him at the side of the road. Later the police conducted a photo lineup for me where I learned that the justice sysem was not always or entirely fair. The photo lineup included the suspect wearing basic trainee garb, and 5 other men in suits. And one of them could have been a youger LBJ. I don't know what happened to the trainee. I was never contacted again or called to testify.

In the '70s, the Phoenix Police Department bought a computer system for dispatching. Before then, a lot of time was lost trying to figure out who was available and where they were and the best route to get there. They were among the first departments anywhere to do this, so they couldn't buy a system off the shelf. They had to have one custom made. But they got snookered. The only OS for the computer they bought was single tasking, so it couldn't handle multiple calls at the same time. I was brought in to try to salvage the situation and was able to design a layer between the applications and the OS that added the differences between a single and multi tasking OS. It was very interesting trying to explain to the brass why a single tasking system wouldn't work for them. I would tell them, for example, when a program needed to read some information off a disk, the whole system stops until the data is read. They asked how long that takes. I said x ms. They would say something along the lines of well that's a very short amount of time, why don't we just have the programs ask for the data that much sooner than they need it?

Anyway, they had these very expensive pick proof locks in the police building and the first day I showed up to work nobody had opened the data center yet and I didn't have a key yet. When the door was finally unlocked, they were astounded to find me sitting in my office. This was in the days where computers were very large and were always on raised floors. If a data center took up most of a building floor the entire floor was often raised. When I found the data center door locked, I just popped up a floor panel outside the door and crawled under it.

Another time and place, I had an eccentric employee who made a comment one day that he was in a bad mood and people would be reading about him either because he won the lottery or was on a rooftop. I was not in the office that day and someone called the police. Well they investigated and interogated him and found he had a list of people in his home who had wronged him for various things. Fortunately nobody any of us knew BUT disturbing to say the least. He was let go and was charged with something but left the state before his court date. Some employees were worried he might come back and take revenge on the staff for turrning him in. So a police captain came in to reassure them but he didn't choose his words very well because he told them: "I'm sure xxxxxxx is the last person you'll ever see." One wag said: But that's exactly what we are afraid of.

In the early '90s I was driving home in my Syclone and a outlaw biker type in a van pulled up beside me on the freeway and swung a bat and smashed the passenger side mirror. I decided to follow him to his destination. He tried to get away a few times but not much chance of that. After a while it was apparent he was just driving around randomly while thinking what he was going to do. Eventually he pulled into a parking lot of a bunch of non-retail businesses, all closed at the time. The drive went back perpendicular to the street for a good distance and then made a left turn. There was only one way in or out. He drove to the very back with me in tow and got out of the van swinging a chain. He was so stupid, he kept following me on foot as I backed up the drive staying just barely out of his reach. We got almost back to the road before he realized he was not in the best of situations. So he turned around and headed back to his van. Before he got there, I was able to block much of the entrance and flag down a Phoenix cop. The van pulls up maybe 20 yards from us and the driver gets out still swinging the chain but this time towards the cop. Maybe he took exception to being arrested by a lady cop; I don't know. But she drew her gun and called for backup. The van driver stood there with the chain until backup arrived. He didn't put up a fight once there were 3 cops there and he was soon cuffed and in the back of one of the cars. Later the lady cop told me I should not have followed him and should not have blocked the entrance. I should have gone home and called the police. But I had worked with cops for a year or more and asked her what would happen if I did that. She said someone would try to call the van owner and ask them if they struck my vehicle with a bat. And if they said no or never answered the phone or said someone else was driving the van at the time? She hemmed and hawed and said, that would be the end of it. So I said, that's why I didn't just go home and call it in. I really have no idea whatever happend to the biker guy. The D.A.s office called me months later and asked if I would be happy with a suspended sentence if he agreed to pay for repairs and I said, no. I was never called to testify, so he must have pled to something.

Then there was that epic parking lot caper in the spirit of Alice's Restaurant Massacree.

Devil Deville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Cadillac Deville Concours, 1998 Cadillac Deville

Probably so! You've got a point, Devil Deville!

Let's face non of us is guilt free when it comes to stereo typing what we see and come in contact with. My German Shepherd was certainly guilty of stereo typing people and situations that she encountered and when she had learned that something was out of place didn't seem right given the situation she definitely reacted. We all consciously or subconsciously react to the dress, demeanor and actions of those we encounter, or in the case of a car we react to what the style and condition of the car connotes to us as to who might be driving it and if the circumstances dictate what they might be doing.

Cops do this even more commonly, they are human and creatures of the environment they live in just like the rest of us, as they pursue their duties. The Israelis have been lauded for the success of their "profiling" in the carrying out of state security. To us and anyone else it is a two edged sword, it may serve to protect us from harm, but may also lead to unjustified actions on the part of our fellow citizens and those we rely on for protection.
    I understand that some amount of profiling is going to happen. The problem comes when an officer profiles someone, me for instance, and then makes up lies just to find out if their "instincts" are right. Here is a story of what I would call potentially justified profiling.

This was in my old town where the police are legit. Same gold-grill Caddy, though. I am driving home from work at around 11:30pm when the car behind me throws on his blue lights. I was doing 47 in a 45, but around there they would never pull anyone for that. So, I was expecting for him to pass me as I was pulling over, but it was me he was after. So, having pulled over, I sit in my car waiting for the officer to come up to the window. When he got to my window, his face went from stern to confused almost instantly. He takes my license and info and goes back to his car. Only a minute or two later, he comes back and informs me that my license plate light is out. Skeptical, I ask if I may step out and have a look for myself. When I got out of the car and looked up, I was quite surprised to see 5 cop cars that had me blocked in from behind. Seems like a little much for a blown bulb. Even when they are searching a car there are normally only 2 or 3 police cars.

My point here is that, in this case, the officer had a legitimate reason to pull me over. Due to the make, model, and appearance of my car, he felt more comfortable approaching me with someone watching his back. It makes sense, I would to. Even so, I say it is only potentially justified profiling because of the excessive number of police vehicles that had arrived on the scene in only a couple of minutes. I am quite confident that, had I been a black or hispanic male, I would have gotten a lot more than a smile and a "Have a nice night, sir." And treating people differently when all circumstances are the same, except for the skin color of the driver, is absurd.

I agree completely with your point. There should be no difference in the treatment of an individual based on race or other visual legal qualifier. However my point is regardless of the way we would like it to be, we all use "profiling" (or what we have learned from personal experience or the media) as we discriminate in our actions ... especially as it pertains to our own security.

Let's face it if an African American man or Latino or white guy will not bring up the same danger reaction when he is dressed in a suite and tie or even in "preppy clothing" as he will if he is dressed in "gang banger" attire!

I'm still amazed about the bunch of cops telling you BS stories about you being wanted in another state. It's like none of them have heard about cops getting "busted" for that kind of crap when recorded by a cell phone. I predict they are in for a rude awakening soon because I'm sure you aren't the only one they do that to.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Does pulling cops over count?

In '90 I once followed a cop for miles in city traffic while he changed lanes without signalling dozens of times. I could scarsely believe it when he pulled into the same parking lot I was. So I decided to give him a good lecturing. He pulled into a parking space and I stopped behind him and got out of my car. Then he threw it in reverse and slammed into the side of my car. Apparently he just pulled in to the spot to turn around and go do the cop car mating ritual with one of his buddies parked nearby. The other cop drove over and they discussed it between themselves and decide their story would be that he hit me because I had sped behind him as he was backing out. Unfortunately for them, someone else observed me being out of the car at the time of the impact. So they decided they were going to cut me a break and let me go..... this time.

Naturally I said no dice and demanded a supervisor be dispatched. When he got there he listened to everyone's story (the witness had gone but I knew where he worked). The supervisor had no problem figuring it out. After the cops were thru telling their bull shit story, he turned to me and asked if I had a rope? I asked why, and he said so we can string these two up! LoL I hope they took what the city paid to have my car fixed out of their pay checks. I never did get the chance to lecture the cop about using his turn signal (or looking before backing up) but there is a follow up story about me getting cops banned from using that parking lot for naps and BS sessions.
    You, sir, are a great American.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

I am sure he hasn't seen too many !959 Continentals in his lifetime. Probably couldn't believe it was for real. By the way please post a picture of your Continental Town Car. Is it one of the ones with the formal roof?
    It is a Hess and Eisenhardt built limo That belonged to Henry Ford II's uncle. Elvis also had one, but his was a 1960.
    /947054_10151523724243640_1417515289_n.jpg

Thanks Faith, it sure is a Town Car. I remember that these were made in limited numbers back in the late fifties. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person. I don't suppose they sold many of them, so it is not surprising that your car was previously owned by a Ford family member.

The standard Lincolns and Continentals from the 1958 thru 1960 were not very popular. I have written before about my good friend's dad who bought a new 1968 Continental Mark III sedan, and the problems he had fitting down the narrow highways and byways of fifties New Jersey. But the size turn out to be the least of his worries. The car was a real lemon with all kinds of size related problems like dash board parts cracking and breaking because of flexing and cracking. His dad's car was black with a black leather interior (His dad was a funeral director) and was really impressive to look at, but the problems that coming up caused him to sell the car after less than a year's ownership. His dad had previously been a Packard man, but with no more Packards worth a damn to be had after 1956, he became a Cadillac owner till he retired. He had already made the change when it came to hearses with the purchase of a really nice 1957 Cadillac hearse.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Since 9/11 local police have lumped themselves in with the military as defenders if national security. DHS has given them tanks, swat vans, and heavy munitions. Likewise, police have become more aggressive with the public, further inclined to shoot first and ask questions later. Every pointless roadside search or seizure (and highly profitable asset forfeiture) is now in the name of fighting the war on terror.

/rant
    77CDV likes this.

Faith76 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 89 Sedan DeVille, 90 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood Hearse

Thanks Faith, it sure is a Town Car. I remember that these were made in limited numbers back in the late fifties. I don't believe I have ever seen one in person. I don't suppose they sold many of them, so it is not surprising that your car was previously owned by a Ford family member.

The standard Lincolns and Continentals from the 1958 thru 1960 were not very popular. I have written before about my good friend's dad who bought a new 1968 Continental Mark III sedan, and the problems he had fitting down the narrow highways and byways of fifties New Jersey. But the size turn out to be the least of his worries. The car was a real lemon with all kinds of size related problems like dash board parts racking and breaking because of flexing and cracking. His dad's car was black with a black leather interior (His dad was a funeral direct) and was really impressive to look at, but the problems that coming up caused him to sell the car after less than a year's ownership. His dad had previously been a Packard man, but with no more Packards worth a damn to be had after 1956, he became a Cadillac owner till he retired. He had already made the change when it came to hearses with the purchase of a really nice 1957 Cadillac hearse.
    I think there were less than 100 made, and only about 19 on the road today. Our dash is starting to sag and there is an unexplained crack forming too. We aren't ever selling her though, David's dad had the garage specially built for it in 1969, so it came with the house in inheritance.
    talismandave likes this.

Actually, Jesda, the conversion of the police force from a real civilian law enforcement organization to a domestic paramilitary force began with the Nixon's enforcement of drug laws and then Reagan's "War on Drugs." Police forces, like the L.A.P.D. began arming their officers with ever greater firepower and vehicle equipment (LAPD's "The Ram") and also educating their officers to be more military in attitude. Darryl gates was a young protégé of the LA's Chief of Police who was responsible for the formation of the nation's first "Tactical Units" and later became Chief himself.

Fostered as a response to the "War on Drugs" and the growth of criminal youth gangs other police forces were funded by the Feds to organize and arm their officers as a paramilitary force instead of a traditional civilian police force. Today the paramilitary model rather than the civilian model of the previous period predominates in large city law enforcement.

Unfortunately, these new tactics were never successful in bring the higher level drug and other crime bosses to justice and the paramilitary mind set that this change in policing attitudes played more and more with enforcement of non target crimes and with the apprehension and incarceration of petty drug traffickers and just plain drug users. Not mention those who had committed non drug related petty crimes.

Community policing programs had been instituted to reverse the public's perception of the police as a source of harassment and unjustified coercion and physical violence. These programs have only been marginally successful because of the existing police mind set and the continuing problem of highly armed drug and other criminal activities which have cause the escalation of the armament carried by the police and the mind set that goes along with the paramilitary training and discipline that is current doctrine throughout the U.S.
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Faith76 View Post
    It is a Hess and Eisenhardt built limo That belonged to Henry Ford II's uncle. Elvis also had one, but his was a 1960.
    /Attachment 125769
    Nice looking car. I liked that generation.

As an aside, the picture reminded me how some women raise one calf during an embrace. Like many traits it's probably evolutionary. And I always wondered were there once a like number of women who naturally raised both calves but were unable to pass that gene on because their mates got tired of picking them up and paying for kneecap surgery.
    Faith76 likes this.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

I wish that I knew the names... But I know a member got pulled over just a month or so before the 2011 meet in Englishtown, NJ. Well I'll tell it as the member told me...

"I was on a side road at a stop sign waiting to turn right on to the main road. Talking on my cell phone, which is illegal in NJ while driving. I saw a cop car on the main road drive by me. Didn't think much of it, so when it was all cleared I pulled out. A little ways down the road the cop car got into the middle lane and started to slow down just below the speed limit. I hung the phone up and just calmly passed him on the right. Then all of sudden he gets behind me, 'Oh crap.' Not long after that he turns his lights on. I pulled over and the officer walks up. 'I'm sorry officer, I know that it's not legal to be on the cell phone while driving.' "Oh no, that's not why I pulled you over. I just waned to check your car out. It's a very nice Cadillac, just like mine. So the real reason why I pulled you over, is to tell you that there is a Cadillac meet next month and it would be great for you to join us. Oh and stay off the cell phone while driving."

LOL, like I said I really wish I knew the member's names. Both the cop and the one who got pulled over. Nevertheless, they both showed up at the meet.

KOT
    Hoosier Daddy and Faith76 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.