Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon? in General Discussion; Those look purely cosmetic, really....
    Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Re: Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon?

Those look purely cosmetic, really.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

I guess I misspoke when I asked the question will the 4th generation Seville become "collectible." but it has been interesting to hear the different interpretations of the word or category as view by different people. I perhaps should have said is the 1992 though 1997 4th generation Seville likely to be thought of as a "classic" in the near future.

Being of an older generation the term "classic" when applied to a car means an automobile that has a design that is truly outstanding, which conveys the purpose and type of motor vehicle it is in such a pure way that it stands out above all the rest in its' category. To many of us "classic" means only a high quality car that was produced during the nineteen thirties and forties and everything else that is shown at car shows are really just collectibles not classics. I would disagree with this old point of view, but would also say that many of the so called "collectible" cars of today are not "classics." Most of the so called "muscle cars" are certainly collectible and have such motivated collectors that they demand ridiculously high prices. But I would never call examples of these muscle cars "classics."

The Brits back in the early 1980's began calling any old car that would put put a "classic." Such fifiteis wonders as Hillman Minx and Vauxhall sedans, not too mention Morris Minors were being called classics. The later in the eighties the term started being used in America to describe just about anything that was old and brought a wisp of nostalgia to the viewer was being called a classic. For me old fifties cars, with one or two exceptions are collectible cars by no means classics.

Most of us would concede that a 1937 Cord or an Auburn boat tail roadster is a classic, or many cadillacs of that era (primarily those with coachbuilt bodies) as well as Packards. Certainly the Forties Lincoln Continentals would qualify as would some Cadillacs and Packards. A 1946 Chevrolet or '48 Ford Fordor or a Studebaker Commander sedan would not.

There have been a few cars that I think could qualify as true classics that have been made since the "Golden Era" of classic cars of the thirties. The 1956-57 Continental Mark II comes to mind as does the Eldorado Brougham of the same time period. Some of the personal luxury cars of the sixties like the Buick Riviera and the Olds Tornado and certainly the late sixties Cadillac Eldorados. The first series Seville of the seventies have ben mentioned also as have the second generation Camaros and Firebirds. There are potential candidates in the eighties as well. It is in this light that I have come to think of the fourth generation Seville as being a car that may well come to be considered a "classic" of its era.
    77CDV likes this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Under that description, I would consider the 4th gen seville a classic. It's styling is still fresh looking 20 years later. I also believe the first gen aurora will be classic. It looked futiristic when new, and is IMO a rolling piece of art (on the outside anyways....the inside had a cool (for the time) design, but the material quality was a letdown).
    77CDV likes this.

truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo
    Those look purely cosmetic, really.
    Right, but even just for cosmetic reasons, I'm surprised to see them on a sports car. I mean on a jeep or something like that, they allow for extremely low air pressure, like 10 or less psi, for better grip on rocks and a wider foot print in mud and snow, with out the tire debeading itself. But just doesn't look right on a sports car. Unless there's a reason that sports cars use them that I'm not aware of in racing or something. But I just doubt in a race they'd want low psi. Lol.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Those aren't supposed to look like bead locks, they're nowhere near the bead of the rim, and there's no fake lock ring. They might have been going for a simulated multi piece rim, but it doesn't even come close to pulling it off.

Most likely, it's just part of the design, and not intended to simulate anything.
    Stingroo likes this.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Welcome to the wide world of auto sales Jesda. I wonder how different it is being at a small lot like that, compared to being in a big dealership like I am. I'd imagine it's much more laid back and casual. Is that true?
    It's not like any of us is going to set a dress code or call morning meetings. We do our own thing, attend to our own customers and cars, and try not to step on each other. We fund our purchases separately and treat it sort of like a hobby. We're also in an off the beaten path location to keep costs down, so we don't have to worry too much about fixed costs and overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by ted tcb View Post
    That 98 LS400 surely would've tempted me if I lived in the US. That generation of LS is becoming harder
    to find, and is much more appealing to me than the bloated LS430.
    Best of luck with your interest in the dealership ... have you left the world of books?
    Books are still selling. Baffles me, but I'm satisfied. People love paper.
    77CDV likes this.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I know I do. I refuse to buy a nook or kindle.
    77CDV and Stingroo like this.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

Stingroo is online now Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    I know I do. I refuse to buy a nook or kindle.
    Honestly. I got a little 7" tablet for Christmas last year. I never use the thing. I decided I was going to try and put some ebooks on it that a friend of mine gave me, and it was such a hassle that I was like "To heck with this" and just wrote them all down.

Library trip today, methinks.

RetiredSFC 97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS

It is amazing that a design this old can still hold it's own.

I constantly read corvette owners of all generations, (yes I own a corvette too) stating their particular vette has a timeless design. But none of the others do LOL. But the design on the 4th gen Seville and El Dorado can still hold up to any car on the road in my opinion. I fell in love with them the first time I saw one and even though mine is my DD, I still sometimes find myself just staring at it.

It really is a gorgeous car.
    ben.gators and vincentm like this.

I mostly read non-fiction which I prefer on paper so I can mark pages. I know you can bookmark and highlight with Kindle, but it's just not the same. If I was more into fiction I would prefer an e-reader since those tend to be linear. I read a lot about business and technology and find myself flipping around from section to section.

----

I also agree that the 92+ Seville and Eldorado are standouts, not just for their interiors and powertrains (N* issues aside) but for their sharp exterior designs that defied the bubbly look of the 90s. That adherence to Cadillac traditions in the face of a somewhat wild, swoopy design era (Chrysler LH, Ford Probe, Isuzu Vehicross, etc) has caused them to stand out as elegant examples of sporty, European-influenced, tasteful design. They were, after all, influenced heavily by the look of the Allante. While the Allante itself was a big money pit for GM, Cadillac got its money's worth from Pininfarina's design, gracefully carrying the lean, angular look through the mid 2000s.

----

The 1999 LS400 we just got is white with beautiful tan leather and a Nakamichi system. It has high miles but it's a one-owner car with a distinct look that, if the right enthusiast or Lexus aficionado is found, will likely sell for close to what is being asked. Like Ted touched on, the desirability of that body style is helped by how fat and bulky the LS430 became.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

It took me awhile to get used to using my Kindle. It took me awhile to see the advantages of E-books over the paper kind. E-book prices are only a slight advantage over paper books. This is especially the case if you buy your books off Ebay where the prices are much less, including, s/h than the cost on Amazon for an E-book. However, I was finally won over by two factors: first was the fact that I didn't have a bunch of paper books accumulating that had to find storage space or a new home (I hate to just toss books in the trash!); secondly and a factor that became even more important was the weight of the Kindle verses a large book (especially hard bound) when I was reading in bed. I usually do most of my reading (fiction and the "Economist" and "Atlantic Monthly") in bed, before going to sleep. The light weight of the Kindle is so much more comfortable and makes the the Kindle the better choice for me while reading in bed.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

I haven't purchased a Kindle yet, but I will for my winter vacation.
    I happen to enjoy spending the day on a beach, reading good books ... nothing worse than having multiple books weighing down my luggage at the airport.
    That's the biggest advantage of a Kindle for me.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I mostly read non-fiction which I prefer on paper so I can mark pages. I know you can bookmark and highlight with Kindle, but it's just not the same. If I was more into fiction I would prefer an e-reader since those tend to be linear. I read a lot about business and technology and find myself flipping around from section to section.
    But does the ability to search make it less one sided between paper and e-books?

The problem is if a book is on a particular subject, you might get the same terms spread through every chapter, then electronic searching can get tedious.

I think it works well for textbooks though where students can narrow their searches to specific chapters that relate to the assignments they're working on.

cadi509 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V Tango int
    I think anyone who keeps a 10+ year old car in supreme condition deserves the title of classic but I suppose that's more in the person than the car....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.