Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon? in General Discussion; Originally Posted by talismandave I think it is a mistake to look at collector cars as an investment. Agreed. I ...
    gdwriter is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS (Elvis) 1964 Impala (Betty)

Re: Will the 4th generation Sevilles become collectible soon?

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    I think it is a mistake to look at collector cars as an investment.
    Agreed. I only paid $3,000 for Betty in 1999, but I've probably spent $30,000 in restoration, repairs and updates over the past 14 years. But Betty is not an investment, and I have no intention of ever selling her.

There has been a lot of stupid money driving the collector car market, particularly in muscle cars. The Challenger and 'cuda were marketplace flops in the early 70s and generally considered a poorly built, poorly running POS, but for some reason, they were commanding six and seven figures at Barrett-Jackson (which is the last place I'd ever buy a classic car).

I really like the 61-64, 71-72 and 77-79 DeVille, and there are definitely some good buys to be made on older Cadillacs. Collectable? Probably not. Classic? I'd say so. There's something to be said for owning, driving and enjoying an old car.
    77CDV likes this.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

But without looking at it as an investment than any car period is collectible. Return on investment is the only marker that can be measured. It doesn't mean you'd sell it, just it increased in value more than inflation. I don't think many cadillacs will fall in this category. I love Cadillac, but I am wierd, if I was normal I would love Chevelles, and big motors (I do, but I like all cars) and think Cadillacs, Lincolns, and any other luxo car is an oldman's car. My Dad's 66 impala convertible was more common than my Cadillac and yet is still brought about 10K more than a similar condition and year Cadillac convertible would. That makes it more collectible IMO. It increased 10K in value in 8 years. If it was a Straight six 3 on the tree four door, I would think it was cool, but is it collectible? Not really, just a fun Classic.

Again if we are just going to use whether the owner likes the car or not as a marker, then I love 86-88 Ford Rangers, that makes them Collectible under that rule. So this thread would be pointless. By that thought if you like fourth gen sevilles then they are collectible.

I would rather look at it this way, Fourth Gen Sevilles will be bargain classics someday. If you like sevilles when they are a classic you will be able to pick them up for cheap all day long. Great for the buyer. If my cadillac was frame off resto'd it would be worth about 7K. To me that is a lot of car and a great classic for a bargain price. It sold new for 10K so after 38 years it is still worth less that what it was new, and that isn't even adjusted for inflation. Is it collectible, or a cheap classic?

Full disclosure, I have collectors plates on my Caddy 8-I

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

98% of old cars bought as "investments" yield no profitable return to the owners when cost of insurance, storage, restoration, and maintenance are figured into the true cost of owning the vehicle until it is sold.

HAZZARDJOHN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Coupe deVille d'Elegance, 05 Lesabre,91 Suburban 4x4

Maybe I need to rephrase this, if the value of the car is not increasing more than indflation (regardless of maintenence insurance yada) than IMO it is not collectible. Again if we are going to define collectible as the owner enjoys it, than this thread is pointless. If you enjoy sevilles, they are collectible. /thread. Value is a gauge of public opinion and collectibility. if the car is increasing in value more than just inflation, it is collectible. People today are willing to pay more for the car than they were ten years ago, making it worth collecting. Whether you spent 30K storing it in a missle silo is irrelevent. Whether you make money is irrelevent. Is the car worth more as the years go on? (Adjusted for inflation) If not I argue it is not collectible it is a classic or a toy.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

To quote Mr. Justice Potter, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Market value of a car at a given time is a way to judge collectability of a vehicle. To state it is the way to do it is where we part way on the issue.

It would miss a huge segment of the collectors market. Some of the most active communities of collector are the VW and Corvair enthusiasts. There were millions of them made so decent ones are always available at reasonable prices but yet there is always a demand for and very active marketplace for them. There are thousands more people trading in these cars than in what your definition of collectible cars would be. Highly collectible, yet low dollar, (and low ROI). Still very actively traded and collected.

American Motors/Rambler collectors would probably have a disagreement with your definition too! Very fervent collectors market for low dollar cost and return.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

It's collectible if people are collecting it. Some people collect dolls. Those are worthless to me but I guess people collect them, therefore they are collectible.

Value is a slightly different but related issue.
    77CDV and talismandave like this.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

As many of you know, I collect automotive brochures. I have every full line Cadillac brochure available from 1956 to 1996. Many of the Cadillac brochures aren't worth a lot, even though they offer lots of information and pictures, they simply don't have the demand that you'd see for a brochure for a '60s era muscle car. However, there is a huge demand for the Cadillac brochures from the late '50's. For example, the 1956 master catalog is a beautiful, huge 12 x 12" catalog, with thick covers and many pages with beautiful illustrations and much text. I have an example in good condition and I think I paid like $90 for it. It's worth that because it's such a well-done brochure!

Now, the 1957 deluxe catalog is a more normal size, probably 8x10, and even with fewer pages and a smaller size, it's worth way more because of it's rarity, because Cadillac also made a much smaller foldout brochure that was much more common new. I had a very hard time finding the deluxe catalog and when I did, I ended up paying $148 for it, but knowing how rare it is and it being a favorite year of mine, I had to jump at the opportunity. Just to compare, I only paid $75 for an original 1959 brochure in the same size, but in better condition!
    77CDV and talismandave like this.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I would add that in addition to value, rarity can be a factor.
    The fun of collecting (I'm not just talking cars here) is finding that rare, hard to find version, regardless of it's resale value.
    Many car enthusiasts take great pride in a car with rare or unusual options. Even if they don't make it a candidate for Barrett Jackson.

A '60's muscle car with a straight six and radio delete, that hasn't been modified, is a rare find. I've seen these displayed with great pride and even win prizes. Highly valuable? Not usually.
    orconn and talismandave like this.

ted tcb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03

So, Jesda, I see your STS sold for $6000.

Were you the winning bidder?

If so, congratulations!

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Yeah. Did you get it?

DBA-One is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 DeVille

I don't see these being collector cars to anyone other than someone who likes them. Cars that increase in value seem to only be owned by anyone but myself. Something like an Allante may turn out to be valuable in the future but I don't know why anyone would buy anything but a '93.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Yeah. Did you get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ted tcb View Post
    So, Jesda, I see your STS sold for $6000.

Were you the winning bidder?

If so, congratulations!
    Yep! Leaving tomorrow to go pick it up and drive it home.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '14 Honda Accord LX

I'll drink a to that!
    77CDV likes this.
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Your status has changed from Seville owner emeritus to current Seville owner. Congratulations!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.