Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week in General Discussion; Was driving north of Cincinnati on I-71 at 3 AM. All of a sudden not more than a few hundred ...
    truckinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 3.6

Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week

Was driving north of Cincinnati on I-71 at 3 AM. All of a sudden not more than a few hundred yards ahead of me, I just start seeing headlights spinning in a very frantic barrel roll fashion across my lanes on the interstate, coming to rest upside down leaning against a concrete wall on an overpass.

----------

It almost bounced over the wall onto the road 35 feet below. Another trucker and I both stopped right away and ran up to the SUV. It was a 2004 or so Explorer. Thankfully the two occupants were ok. We helped pull them outa the upside down truck, and stayed with them until police got there.

Definitely the craziest thing I've seen since I've been driving truck. They must have rolled 2-3 times b4 resting on the wall. The driver told me a deer ran out in front of him and he swerved. I really hate deer. They cause way to many wrecks on the roads!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week

WOW! Did it blow 5 seconds after everyone was pulled like in the movies?

I'll bet that driver will have these on all his future cars:

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Insurance companies do not recommend the deer alerts they actually recommend you hit the animal instead trying to avoid it because of the higher liabiltiy of hitting something or some one else and causing human injury or more property damage.
    Kev and M5eater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS
    WOW! Did it blow 5 seconds after everyone was pulled like in the movies?

I'll bet that driver will have these on all his future cars:
    Lol. Not quite. Lol. But it sure was smoking as we were running up to it. Lol

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

"Deer alerts" don't. Ask anyone over here on the Shore - which is darn near paved with the giant brown rats.

Not long ago someone opined that there are far, far more deer east of the Mississippi now than at any time before the early 20th century. Why ? Because humans used to eat the bastards 24/7/365. Then Bambi came along and all of a sudden it was simply horrible to eat wild game. (But we still kill hogs with a single .22 at the base of the skull, and we still kill beef cattle with a 12# sledge hammer to the forehead and a slit throat.)

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Seen people go off the road and roll, doesn't look scary in the movies but in real life it'll pucker your drawers.
    It's against nature to not swerve and hit something instead. Brake hard and wack the bastard... saves the car and you.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    Insurance companies do not recommend the deer alerts they actually recommend you hit the animal instead trying to avoid it because of the higher liabiltiy of hitting something or some one else and causing human injury or more property damage.
    Very true. Just like with the wreck I saw, I believe things could have turned out better by hitting the deer instead of swerving, especially since he was in a higher profile vehicle, and that generation of Explorer isn't exactly known for their stability during high speed maneuvers.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01
    Seen people go off the road and roll, doesn't look scary in the movies but in real life it'll pucker your drawers.
    It's against nature to not swerve and hit something instead. Brake hard and wack the bastard... saves the car and you.
    Yep. The scariest part was how close they came to bouncing over that guard rail and falling 35 feet to the road below.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Instead of charging for permits, there outta be a bounty on the long legged, short tailed vermin. Having 2 kills to my credit so far, you can understand my feelings on the subject.

Kev and CadillacLuke24 like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    I can't tell you how many claims I pay for idiots that would rather not hit a squirrel and instead swerve into opposing lanes of travel, and since it's a rental car, and they didn't bother to buy any coverage and also decided as an adult, that it's a good idea to not have any of their own insurance;

Guess who gets to ultimately foot the tens of thousands of dollars in property damage and/or injury claims?

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    "Deer alerts" don't. Ask anyone over here on the Shore - which is darn near paved with the giant brown rats.

Not long ago someone opined that there are far, far more deer east of the Mississippi now than at any time before the early 20th century. Why ? Because humans used to eat the bastards 24/7/365. Then Bambi came along and all of a sudden it was simply horrible to eat wild game. (But we still kill hogs with a single .22 at the base of the skull, and we still kill beef cattle with a 12# sledge hammer to the forehead and a slit throat.)
    We are having record populations here too. Another part of the problem is the lack of natural predators. They have started repopulating the wolf in our state and it is going well, but the minute a wolf kills a cow or horse, everyone goes nuts and wants to kill them off again!

I think their only natural predator is the car. Unfortunately all the wolves are up north and those people hate them and will kill them on sight.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I never swerve for a deer, racoon, cat, dog, whatever. I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.

I've had a huge buck hit the side of my car. I was doing a good 60-70mph and he bolts across the road, I'm hard on the brakes. Luckily I saw him in plenty of time for him to make it, but no he decides to double back to the other side of the road. I thought for sure he was coming in the car with me, as I was driving a convertible with the top/windows down, but he just barley grazed the rear of the car, took my antenna off with his antlers.

Where I hit that deer was near a nature preserve in suburban Nashville, about 10-15 miles south of downtown. So many deer there, you can usually see them grazing on people's lawns in the broad daylight when you drive through that neighborhood.

Yep I won't swerve either. Hit the coyote that one time with our Saturn. Nearly totaled the car, but if I'd swerved, it coulda killed just for some dumb coyote.

One night a buddy of mine was driving his semi, passing another on the freeway when the other one swerved into my buddy's truck just to avoid a damn deer! My buddy saved it tho. He swerved into the median, which was very soft bc it had just rained, and he had 35k lbs in the trailer. Well even with all 18 wheels (I saw the tracks later that week and yes every wheel went into the mud at 65 mph) in the median, he pulled it off without making any contact with the other truck or the guard rail.

I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I will do my best to avoid the damned things, though it will be evasive action, not a knee jerk reaction. That said, rest assured it is not done for their benefit. I'd just as soon avoid them, then kill 'em out of revenge. Have I mentioned how much I hate those damned things?

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I never swerve for a deer, racoon, cat, dog, whatever. I'll lock up the brakes trying to avoid them, but I'm not swerving, then wrecking my car so the stupid deer can live another day to get hit again by another car.

I've had a huge buck hit the side of my car. I was doing a good 60-70mph and he bolts across the road, I'm hard on the brakes. Luckily I saw him in plenty of time for him to make it, but no he decides to double back to the other side of the road. I thought for sure he was coming in the car with me, as I was driving a convertible with the top/windows down, but he just barley grazed the rear of the car, took my antenna off with his antlers.

Where I hit that deer was near a nature preserve in suburban Nashville, about 10-15 miles south of downtown. So many deer there, you can usually see them grazing on people's lawns in the broad daylight when you drive through that neighborhood.
    You would swerve for a moose. Unless you are in a big truck, a head on collision with a full grown moose is likely to kill you. 2000 lbs in your lap at 60 mph is not a recipe for survival.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.