Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week in General Discussion; Why is it, every time a deer strike is discussed, someone has to one up it and mention moose? I ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week

Why is it, every time a deer strike is discussed, someone has to one up it and mention moose? I suppose you could throw in elephants, rhinos and water buffalo as well, but there just aren't that many encounters. I've hit 2 deer. Dozens of near misses and hundreds of sitings. Never seen a moose so I'm not very worried about hitting one. There was estimated an estimated 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. Couldn't find any estimates for moose.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

^^^ have never hit an elephant or rhino, but I did hit a camel once. Which is bigger a moose or a camel? I am sure we will hear from the Arctic one soon.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
    About 10 years ago I was driving on 422 heading for a nice camping weekend with some friends my buddy tony was driving his mercedes ML 500
    He hit not one but 2 dears
    They where seriously commenting suicide because they both ran out into traffic and infront of the SUV and just looked at us we where doing 70 no damm way in hell we could stop
    Or miss them

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Why is it, every time a deer strike is discussed, someone has to one up it and mention moose? 1.23 million deer-vehicle collisions occurred in the U.S. between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. Couldn't find any estimates for moose.
    Moose ARE deer. Thereby, no one changed the subject. Likewise, your 1.23 million estimate should be including Moose.

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Which is bigger a moose or a camel? I am sure we will hear from the Arctic one soon.
    Depends on what type of Camel we're talking about. Dromedary Camels weigh about the same as adult Bull Moose. However the Bactrian Camel weighs substantially more, averaging between 800 to 1,000 pounds more.

So let's hear this story about hitting a camel. Even I've never done that. I've hit a lot of Alligators though.

I give up.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is nothing...the real damage is when you hit a Whale....those can really mess up your car!

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    How about a skunk that did no damage other than the smell?

KOT

Our ever enlightening Dullahan is quite right! It does depend on what kind of camel one happens to hit. Where I was living at the time, the lighter duty Dromedary was a mainstay of the areas transportation system. The first time I saw a Bactrian camel, in the zoo in the city of Khartoum in the Sudan, I was shocked to see not only their size but the heft of these beasts. These two humpers are truly the "Mack Camels" of the desert ship world. I have a picture of this huge camel somewhere, taken just before it tried to rip my friend's camera from hanging around his neck and almost doing the man in!

Fortunately my collision was with a youthful dromedary who was free of freight at the time. I was on my way back up the road which winds through two mountain ranges on its' way from sea level at the Red Sea to the 7000 foot plateau where the city of Asmara, Eritrea is located. The distance from the coastal plain to the escarpment at the edge of the plateau is only about 25 air miles, but it takes about 60 miles, at least, of switch backs to make the climb. The road was built by Italians during their colonial period in Eritrea and is still considered a major engineering feat. The road is also the only means of road transport from the Red Sea port of Massaua to the lovely capital city of Eritrea, Asmara.

On this particular day I was working my way back up the road, second and third gearing it, in a long wheel base 1964 Land Rover that I had borrowed from the U.S. East African Mapping Mission for a run to Massaua. I was about to corner a blind curve at about 30 mph when I was confronted with a young one humper rounding the bend at a high rate of speed. A collision was unavoidable. The young camel smashed the Land Rover's front bumper and hood (bonnet) and flipped up on the roof of the car. Fortunately for me the Land Rover was equipped with an accessory "sun shield' second roof and a reinforced cargo rack. The camel missed the windshield as he catapulted up on the roof crushing aluminum bodied front end and roofs in the process. Miraculously the Rover was still drivable even though it was would have been deemed "totaled" if it had been in the U.S. or Europe. As this happened in Africa, several workers with hammers spent weeks pounding out the bends and dents and the Land Rover lived to serve many more years of service (although not with the Mapping Mission.

It was possible to run into many things while driving wheeled vehicles in Africa. But I never heard of anyone actually hitting an elephant or a rhino. Many hit camels and many more were attacked by phalanxes of baboons who waited along the few highways to bombard cars and trucks with rocks and pieces of cactus. While vehicular traffic was never a problem, donkey and camel caravans often slowed car and truck traffic to a crawl. You think diesel fumes are bad, you have never experienced "camel smog!"

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    My most recent such story was much lead exciting.

Driving with a friend at around two AM one morning on the same aforementioned roadway, doing around 55 mph, I would wager, we came around one particularly tight curve that is in fact so very sharp of a turn that each lane doubles it's width to accommodate vehicles moving faster than they should be. As usual, there was no traffic on our dark, lightness road as we crept up to the turn and slowed the truck slightly. We came through to the very short straight section between this turn and the next (at most fifteen feet) and I saw something ahead of us. Something dark and so low to the ground I would not have seen it had I not been coming out of the turn. I am sure that from her seat it wasn't visible at all. With a sharp, quick THUD, we went over...or through...the obstacle. Didn't flinch or even brake. It was over and I knew that the truck was fine. She stirred and calmly rolled over to face me.

"What was that?"

"An alligator. Eight feet, maybe nine."

"Ahh."
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Another of road hazards encountered on the same road where I had the collision with the young camel, was the occasional large python (we didn't really care much about going over the small ones, although we would try to avoid hitting those). As the road came off the plateau it descended into a deep valley where the vegetation was really thick and tropical. This deep valley, about three to four thousand almost straight down from the lip of the escarpment to the valley's floor, named "Python Valley" and was said to be the place where the longest pythons ever measured were caught.

I, personally, only ever encountered the small ones of about 15 feet, but the guys who drove the semi to the port of Massaua to pick up supplies said they had had to stop for snakes much larger. Some of which were at least two across their middles. They said they always stopped, fearing that running over a snake that big might really damage their truck!

Once in the bottom of Python Valley you had to climb, and switchback, up another 500 foot mountain ridge and down the other side before coming to the chaparral and the desert leading to the Red Sea. This [articular drive made the road used in this years Cadillac ATS commercials look like child's play .... and that was without the baboons, wayward camels, pythons and God knows what else lurked along this Eritrean road.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
    Here's on for ya Ranger.
    Woman that used to work with wife hit a horse that got loose in something around size of Focus. She still can't walk right and almost lost an arm.... Blind corner no chance to react and in the dark. That'd suck anyway you slice it.

Anything is possible (well almost anything). One night on my way home from work at about midnight I saw 2 glowing dots in front of me on the county back road. Thinking it was a deer, I slowed down only to find myself face to ugly face with hundreds of pounds of beef on the hoof. Thankfully he was looking in my direction because his ass doesn't glow in the dark like his eyes did.
    talismandave likes this.

^^^There you go! And how much did that bull weigh?

Never stopped to ask.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

The worst thing I ever hit was a bug.

But I did know someone who hit an old lady with his Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.