Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week in General Discussion; A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying goose....
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Saw the scariest thing in my 5 years of trucking last week

A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying goose.

greencadillacmatt is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 Dodge Challenger RT, '84 Cadillac CDV, '94 Jeep GC LTD

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying moose.
    Fixed.
    talismandave likes this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    "Deer alerts" don't. Ask anyone over here on the Shore - which is darn near paved with the giant brown rats.

Not long ago someone opined that there are far, far more deer east of the Mississippi now than at any time before the early 20th century. Why ? Because humans used to eat the bastards 24/7/365. Then Bambi came along and all of a sudden it was simply horrible to eat wild game. (But we still kill hogs with a single .22 at the base of the skull, and we still kill beef cattle with a 12# sledge hammer to the forehead and a slit throat.)
    Depends. Lots of pigs are still processed in slauhterhouses where they are moved along by a chain where they hang from their feet alive and a worker slits their throats as they pass. At least last time I was jn a slaughterhouse they were doing it that way.

As for the accident, I have just recently had a similar experience where a Minivan lost control in the rain about a mile ahead of me and made inexcusable and a quarter flips.

I would like to say these type of things are the scariest things I've seen on the road.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    A deer can do the same damage. Come to think of it, so can a low flying goose.
    Lol, in your own mind, perhaps. In reality, a small 500 lb deer will not do near the damage a full grown moose can. Moose can stand 7 feet tall at the shoulders and weigh 2000 lbs, and 1800 lbs of that weight will be above 4-5 feet.. When you hit a moose head on, you take out its legs and the huge upper portion of the moose lands squarely on the windshield. A moose will crush a small car and the entire family in it, saw it with my own eyes. Both occupants in the front of the civic were killed and 1 of the 2 rear occupants was killed. The other rear passenger had to be removed with the jaws of life. 2000 lbs is almost the weight of an NA miata in a smaller more compact package. If you can choose between a moose accident and the ditch, you choose the ditch. In fact, if I had to choose between hitting a moose broadside, and hitting an NA Miata head-on, I might choose the Miata. Sure, the impact speed will be twice as high, but airbags and front crash crumple zones may just save your life. Theyll do no good with a moose.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

This has been in here before - in 2007. Minivan: 0 - deer: 0 (Minimal damage --------- right)(The driver walked away ! ! !)

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=13888

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

In Virginia there are at least a few fatalities each year from collisions with deer. I don't know about fatalities from Canadian geese ..... although I wish there were more geese in pots than on the thorough fares of the Old Dominion. That goes for deer too!

Bambi be damned, venison for all! Let them get deer instead of food stamps!
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    At least this didn't happen...

http://www.break.com/index/dash-cam-...-video-2483120

KOT

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Lol, in your own mind, perhaps. In reality, a small 500 lb deer will not do near the damage a full grown moose can.
    If you are picking fur out of your teeth from a strike at 70 MPH it hardly matters if it was a 500 lb deer or an 1800 lb moose. That's like saying a .22 won't do as much damage as a .45. True, but the outcome is the same. Either will (can) take your head off. In the end, if your head is rolling around in the back seat, it really doesn't matter how it got there.

A 500lb deer now that's one to look out for! Damn big deer.

ThumperPup is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK
    Insurance companies do not recommend the deer alerts they actually recommend you hit the animal instead trying to avoid it because of the higher liabiltiy of hitting something or some one else and causing human injury or more property damage.
    Yeah if u hit the dear the insurance will process the claim as compressive not at fault it u swerve to avoid it and hit something than u are at fault

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    You would swerve for a moose. Unless you are in a big truck, a head on collision with a full grown moose is likely to kill you. 2000 lbs in your lap at 60 mph is not a recipe for survival.
    I've seen what a moose can do to a car, and unless I'm in a semi truck I would take my chances in the ditch.

Where is Nanook of the North to tell us all we would ever want to know about moose and their destruction potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    I've seen what a moose can do to a car, and unless I'm in a semi truck I would take my chances in the ditch.
    Saw a Cow hit by a Semi-turned-cement mixer once, because they roam freely on this one roadway where it is almost all blind turns. Only one part of the road has any sort of fence (which only stops them, due to their inability to jump it). I was there the other day, actually, recovering a Ford Focus that spun out and had the tyres come off the rims. The cows all thought I was there to feed them and came all the way across the fields/through the woods to come visit.

Anyhow, the Semi that hit the cow, which was just dandy, also completely destroyed the cow.

On that same roadway, I have seen basically all of Florida's native life (And much of it's non-native life) turned into roadkill. I have even caused a good deal of it.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by The-Dullahan View Post
    I have even caused a good deal of it.
    Hence the skull collection
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Hence the skull collection
    Sometimes, yeah. Gotta be honest though, there are better ways. Besides, I haven't been driving forever. Had to improvise.

So a sister of mine was in this cemetery, right? And there was this hole in the ground with a part of a tombstone in it that said 1918. Anyhow, the hole went on even deeper and (Here is what happens when kids like us get technology) she remembered she had one of those cellular telephones, like the fancy ones with the camera in it, right? So she rolled the sleeve of her dress up and reached in and snapped some photographs. Long story short, I got some fantastic photo-messages that day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.