aftermarket foreign parts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, aftermarket foreign parts in General Discussion; this is just food for though as I was reading through some of the other threads and was looking at ...
    twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

aftermarket foreign parts

this is just food for though as I was reading through some of the other threads and was looking at brakes. I seen many people talking about some brake manufacturers calling their stuff bad because they were made in foreign countries, china, ect. I believe in 100 percent American made as I have been a classic muscle car fan for years, I could be wrong but I would bet that if just about anybody went out to their cars and started looking at factory parts many are made in foreign countries and just assembled in America. For example The company I used to work for prided itself as made in America but the fact was (and still is) most of the parts come from china and mexico and assembled here. I am not trying to start an argument just bringing to light that many American cars are more foreign than American.
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: aftermarket foreign parts

Quote Originally Posted by twrtoad View Post
    I could be wrong but I would bet that if just about anybody went out to their cars and started looking at factory parts many are made in foreign countries and just assembled in America.
    Sadly, you are not wrong.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Which U.S.-Built Cars Have the Highest Domestic-Parts Content?
    Make/Model Domestic-parts content Assembly location
    Ford Taurus 90 percent Chicago
    Lincoln MKS 85 percent Chicago
    Toyota Sienna 85 percent Princeton, Ind.
    GMC Savana 1500 82 percent Wentzville, Mo.
    Chevrolet Express 1500 82 percent Wentzville, Mo.
    Buick Lucerne 81 percent Detroit
    Chevrolet Malibu 80 percent Kansas City, Kan.
    Honda Odyssey 80 percent Lincoln, Ala.
    Toyota Avalon 80 percent Georgetown, Ky.
    Toyota Tundra 80 percent San Antonio
    Toyota Venza 80 percent Georgetown, Ky.
    http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0709

This was interesting http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/04/...d-content.html Why is the Cadillac CTS ranked 5 and 10?

the comments were interesting.
    At 4/19/2011 4:22 PM, Blogger VangelV said...
    Such nations have exported their way to prosperity.

They saved and invested their way to prosperity. You can't export if you do not have productive capital to produce goods. And that productive capital comes from saving and investing. Germany, Japan, and Korea prospered because their citizens saved money and those savings financed capital accumulation that provided jobs.

I can't think of any nation that imported its way to prosperity.

When nations import a great deal more than they export they usually wind up paying for those exports by depleting savings, which makes it hard to accumulate capital. And without capital it is hard to create jobs for people and to make a nation prosperous.

Most people are confused because they look at the standard of living and assume that it is sustainable. But as we have seen with the US, a high standard of living that is based on borrowing and consuming brings massive risks that are bound to end very badly. Even if Americans wanted to, they would find it difficult to reverse the economic trends because they have little in the way of savings that can be the basis of capital formation.
    - See more at: http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2011/04/....LClzscS4.dpuf

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Ummm, is that "domestic parts content" a substitute for the old "If you can't fill 'em with facts, baffle 'em with bullshit !" ?

For the tip of the iceberg: 2002 STS (Hamtramck, Michigan) -

Spark plugs - Japan
    Fuel regulator - Germany
    Fuel injectors - Germany
    Electronic sensors - Germany, Japan, Mexico, others
    Water pump drive tensioner - Canada
    Wiring harnesses - Mexico, Canada, others
    Seats, seat assemblies - Canada
    Water pump assemblies - China
    Light bulbs - China, Mexico, Germany
    ......... and the list goes on and on and on.

Your list of "Predominantly American" cars is populated by models that are about 81% American parts sourced - EVERY car made has an international mishmash of parts - so 20% of your car is outsourced.

............ and none of this has anything to do with the OP's original "aftermarket parts" observation.

twrtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado

hello all,
    Like I said I don't want to start an argument but I think the point I was trying to get at is how many OE parts from the factory (example: if I went and bought a brand new car today, say a Cadillac). how many parts are actually from foreign countries so when people say bad things about aftermarket parts from other countries, do they really have ground to stand on. Is there a big difference. do foreign countries manufacture stuff different for the dealer than say autozone. I mean I really don't know.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

AutoZone is in a class all by itself. Cheap, off shore, imitation junk designed to last a year or less.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.