Communication technologies do you think the trade of is worth the convenience?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Stingroo
  • 3 Post By EChas3
  • 1 Post By 77CDV
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Communication technologies do you think the trade of is worth the convenience? in General Discussion; Sub alerts us to a new feature some insurance companies are offering that will trade a lower premium rate if ...
    orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Communication technologies do you think the trade of is worth the convenience?

Sub alerts us to a new feature some insurance companies are offering that will trade a lower premium rate if we allow them to monitor our car's speed and turn forces.

We have experienced unprecedented speed and access to communications, knowledge and intellectual problem solving, but these advantages have come with a cost that could, or may well have already, threaten our privacy and our freedom.

Do you feel there is a difference between the commercial recording and tracking of your communications destinations, your buying preferences, your political preferences and the sale of that information to indiscriminate third parties. Or the collection of the same data by your government with possibly the same kinds of results.

Is the cat already irretrievably out of the bag when it comes to our communications privacy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Communication technologies do you think the trade of is worth the convenience?

The GPS car tracking thing is only the tip of an already-existing iceberg. All you texters, laptoppers, Skypers and button phone pushers - Big Brother knows just about where you are 24/7/365. Every time we log onto a website, log on/off the internet, cell phone changes towers - we're 100% trackable.

Leave NYC and (as a passenger, of course) text a friend or two. Then confirm your motel reservation in ?? NC ??. Sign into the motel and use their wi-fi. Leave in the morning and text your arrival time in Daytona to good ol' Bert. Check the weather enroute. Make a call at noon to the babysitter. The time and date is logged onto every gasoline or food purchase you make with your CitiCard.

Your entire trip - to within a few hundred feet and a few minutes - can be tracked via the internet. Easily. We all make NSA happy - it keeps them in business.

(and that's nothing compared to what a knowledgeable website frequenter can do with your simple question on widget repair in a large info forum ...... )

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Communication technologies do you think the trade of is worth the convenience?

^^^ All true, but is the convenience worth the violation of privacy?

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

It's not a violation of privacy until either:

A. that data is maliciously used without your consent.
    B. there's no way for you to opt out of that data mining.

You completely opt into all of those things. Don't want to be cell tracked? Don't use a cell phone. Don't want to know where your money is being spent? Use cash.

Is it foolproof? No. But it's as close as you can get.

The main problem, IMO of course, like I said above is when you can't opt OUT of these things. Like with the new Xbox system, for instance. People are in an uproar because the camera can't be turned off. Sure, you can disable its tracking via the menus, but if the device is unplugged, the gaming portion won't work. That, for me, is where the line is drawn.
    drewsdeville likes this.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    It's not a violation of privacy until either:

A. that data is maliciously used without your consent.
    B. there's no way for you to opt out of that data mining.

You completely opt into all of those things. Don't want to be cell tracked? Don't use a cell phone. Don't want to know where your money is being spent? Use cash.

Is it foolproof? No. But it's as close as you can get.

The main problem, IMO of course, like I said above is when you can't opt OUT of these things. Like with the new Xbox system, for instance. People are in an uproar because the camera can't be turned off. Sure, you can disable its tracking via the menus, but if the device is unplugged, the gaming portion won't work. That, for me, is where the line is drawn.
    I agree with all of this except where you state the Xbox is an exception where the line is drawn. How is it any different than your other examples? Don't want to be watched on camera playing video games - then don't use an Xbox, right? It's completely voluntary, just like the cell phone, just like the credit card.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Well sure. That's why I don't plan on doing so.

But the point is, that's now become an intrusion on something I enjoy doing.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

I gotta laugh. There is no such thing as privacy. Anyone who thinks there is, is living in the past. Anyone that wants to know EVERYTHING about you, can.

I used to think that technology was just letting the leash out a little longer. I was wrong. It's making the collar that much tighter.

What amazes me is that the youth are virtually unconcerned with that and will do literally anything for their 15 minutes in the spotlight.

I'd convert to Luddite but I love driving my STS too much!
    77CDV, Kad4Life and talismandave like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

This is truth right here.

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post
    I gotta laugh. There is no such thing as privacy. Anyone who thinks there is, is living in the past. Anyone that wants to know EVERYTHING about you, can.

I used to think that technology was just letting the leash out a little longer. I was wrong. It's making the collar that much tighter.

What amazes me is that the youth are virtually unconcerned with that and will do literally anything for their 15 minutes in the spotlight.

CadillacLuke24 likes this.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Quote Originally Posted by EChas3 View Post

Privacy does "exist". It's called leaving your cell phone in your dorm room, failing to notify ANYONE of your plans, and setting off on a 4 hour drive through the mountains of Southeast Wyoming. Those dweebs may be able to track me by satellite, but they have no way of reaching me in a rapid, physical manner.

Seriously though, privacy requires a complete lack of technology, and it can be irritating. I remember one afternoon my freshman year I left my phone in my room and went for a lovely bicycle ride. When I got back, my friends at the time were somewhat agitated that I was unavailable. Like I always say, "If I want to be bothered, I will come looking for you.

Kad4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'

Cellphone ?
    What cellphone ?

No tengo .
    New Age Luddite .
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whpf4Xs2ww8

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.