Drive safe - get an insurance discount
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Drive safe - get an insurance discount in General Discussion; Who has received a notice from their car insurance company offering a " Drive Safe " discount ??? The way ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Drive safe - get an insurance discount

Who has received a notice from their car insurance company offering a "Drive Safe" discount ???

The way the program works is that you authorize the insurance company to use your OnStar or equivalent onboard system to monitor your location, speed, turns, stops - every part of your daily drive. Then, if you fit their definition of "Drive Safe" you get an insurance "discount" on your monthly, quarterly, or semiannual payments. This smacks of Big Brother intrusion by corporations.

BUT - suppose you hit the drag strip, the local racetrack for a 120 mph fun afternoon, or drive (with the flow) at 85 on I-95 on your way to Florida. Wanna bet your rates would go up - and the information gets fed to your state MVA ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: Drive safe - get an insurance discount

Lot's of companies are offering that now. I bet someday it won't be an option but a requirement to get insurance.

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

It seems that all the convenience that comes with the advances in technology that we all enjoy comes with a price .... a serious infringement on our privacy (voluntarily surrendered) and an increasing loss of freedom.
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I'm going to get rich selling black boxes that divide all the speed and G values that get recorded by 2.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy
    I'm going to get rich selling black boxes that divide all the speed and G values that get recorded by 2.
    I'd take one....if my cars were new enough for a box that plugged into the computer.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Got an IPASS, EZPASS, etc? They "can" track your (average) speed on the toll road with that as well (if they want to).

Apparently George Orwell wasn't writing "just" fiction and wasn't all that far off on his timing.

Kad4Life is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 FE5 Blk/Blk 'Nadine'

What has happened in the last twenty years with government/corporate intrusion into our daily lives is more than disconcerting .
    They have won, hands down; there will be no going back .

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

It's what we've continuously voted for, every single time, yet everyone's always complaining about it . Our government is comprised of born and raised Americans, brought up in American homes, educated in American schools, shaped by American society. It's what we produce. Now we are in over our heads, and we're still pointing fingers at everyone else but ourselves.

Us poor Americans - victims of our own government for over 200 years. We have it so bad.

lolz.

Our problems are far deeper, and far more complex than "the government".
    77CDV and CadillacLuke24 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kad4Life View Post
    What has happened in the last twenty years with government/corporate intrusion into our daily lives is more than disconcerting .
    They have won, hands down; there will be no going back .
    But on the plus side, a hard drive with all my home movies on it recently crashed and I was able to recover all of them via FOIA requests.
    talismandave likes this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Welcome to our brave new world.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin

I'd take one....if my cars were new enough for a box that plugged into the computer.
    From what I heard, GM has been installing black boxes that records some stuff since the early 80's. Of course it probably had more sensors going to it now.

KOT

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post

BUT - suppose you hit the drag strip, the local racetrack for a 120 mph fun afternoon, or drive (with the flow) at 85 on I-95 on your way to Florida. Wanna bet your rates would go up - and the information gets fed to your state MVA ??
    On a side note, you aren't covered by your insurer while on a race track. You wipe out and hit the wall halfway down the strip, that's your problem. As for the 85 mph to FL....all you are saying is that those who break the rules are the only ones inconvenienced. In that case, I'd have to say the program works correctly then. Those driving 85mph down a public road are higher risk drivers than those who don't, and should pay accordingly.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    On a side note, you aren't covered by your insurer while on a race track. You wipe out and hit the wall halfway down the strip, that's your problem. As for the 85 mph to FL....all you are saying is that those who break the rules are the only ones inconvenienced. In that case, I'd have to say the program works correctly then. Those driving 85mph down a public road are higher risk drivers than those who don't, and should pay accordingly.
    Wrong.

My old insurer on the '04 V would cover certain things. Hit a wall on a non-timed event(such as Tim in the R8 at VIR) and you're covered. Hit another car and you're not. Hit anything on a timed event and you're not.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post

From what I heard, GM has been installing black boxes that records some stuff since the early 80's. Of course it probably had more sensors going to it now.

KOT
    Every car today has a black box. Any car that gets in an accident can have its most recent data recorded...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    My old insurer on the '04 V would cover certain things. Hit a wall on a non-timed event(such as Tim in the R8 at VIR) and you're covered. Hit another car and you're not. Hit anything on a timed event and you're not.
    That was true years a go with most policies, but I believe the insurance companies have closed that loop hole because unofficial timing, including by participants, was so rampant. If yours still covers accidents on race tracks, please post the wording and the name of the company for anyone who might want to switch.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    It's what we've continuously voted for, every single time, yet everyone's always complaining about it . Our government is comprised of born and raised Americans, brought up in American homes, educated in American schools, shaped by American society. It's what we produce. Now we are in over our heads, and we're still pointing fingers at everyone else but ourselves.

Us poor Americans - victims of our own government for over 200 years. We have it so bad.

lolz.

Our problems are far deeper, and far more complex than "the government".
    Well of course, but if you want to talk about the decline of civilized culture then make a new thread. That's like telling us traffic isn't the problem; it's economic development causing people to go to work every day.

Government is a symptom over which we have mild, if mostly perceived, influence as voters, thus the topic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.