Drive safe - get an insurance discount - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Community Lounge, Introductions and General Discussion Discussion, Drive safe - get an insurance discount in General Discussion; Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy That was true years a go with most policies, but I believe the insurance companies ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    That was true years a go with most policies, but I believe the insurance companies have closed that loop hole because unofficial timing, including by participants, was so rampant. If yours still covers accidents on race tracks, please post the wording and the name of the company for anyone who might want to switch.
    This was up to '09 with Commerce Insurance in MA...

orconn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Re: Drive safe - get an insurance discount

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    On a side note, you aren't covered by your insurer while on a race track. You wipe out and hit the wall halfway down the strip, that's your problem. As for the 85 mph to FL....all you are saying is that those who break the rules are the only ones inconvenienced. In that case, I'd have to say the program works correctly then. Those driving 85mph down a public road are higher risk drivers than those who don't, and should pay accordingly.
    Obviously you haven't driven Interstate 95 as it passes through Virginia! While they may all be "legal transgressors," almost every cruising up or down US 95 on their way to other places is tooling along at over 80 mph (speed limit is 65). The traffic is often so thick, and moving at those speeds, VA State Police take a pass on those cars travelling in clusters (not to mention tail gating) and only occasionally go after those exceeding 80 mph. Virginia doesn't have enough troopers to really tap this wonderful source of revenue. But when you are ticketed at over 80 mph it is an automatic reckless driving citation and a misdemeanor count.

S yes 90% of the users of Interstate 95 are scofflaws .... most have no business driving their under maintained, antiquated cars and trucks (pickups in particular) at these speeds. Guess most of them are too old to have black boxes!

Sure, because me traveling at 85mph in the left lane where I'm not fighting with trucks, merging with cars entering, worrying about cars slowing down to exit and my focus only needing 180 degrees of coverage is so dangerous.

Much more dangerous than the typical 55mph driver who doesn't know they have the right of way when a car enters, who hits their brakes at the sight of a squirrel in the breakdown lane or a truck hitting the brakes 1/2 mile ahead, who has zero car control in emergencies, nevermind needing focus with 360 degrees of coverage. But hey, they never go over the speed limit, so they're safer.

Nevermind that I can do things at 85 in my old V that I can only do as safely in the Town Car at 55.

Ridiculousness.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I think I will pass. After USAA got word of repeated rapid accelerations on state Highways and Interstate onramps, not to mention excessive vehicle overspeed from time to time, and remembering excessive driving generally considered unsafe for a certain NARROW two lane road, my rates would skyrocket!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Wrong.

My old insurer on the '04 V would cover certain things. Hit a wall on a non-timed event(such as Tim in the R8 at VIR) and you're covered. Hit another car and you're not. Hit anything on a timed event and you're not.

----------

Every car today has a black box. Any car that gets in an accident can have its most recent data recorded...
    When was that, 10 years ago before that loophole hit the media and was essentially universally closed? That's ok, I'll play along - Anything on "the strip" is a timed event, sir. The whole thing doesn't really function correctly when it's not - unless you know of a group of people that like to drive specific length short straight line distances for the hell of it - and I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone that's carried insurance that will cover it, outside of incredibly expensive specialized insurers who might not even cover you in the staging lanes and aren't offering a "black box" anyway. If you know of a provider that will cover me at Great Lakes this weekend, driving the public roads to the track with a black box, running the track, and driving home, all covered, let me know.

Perhaps I made the mistake of not including those events that the kiddies set up in the parking lot or someone lollygagging around on an "open track" weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post

When was that, 10 years ago before that loophole hit the media and was essentially universally closed? That's ok, I'll play along - Anything on "the strip" is a timed event, sir. The whole thing doesn't really function correctly when it's not - unless you know of a group of people that like to drive specific length short straight line distances for the hell of it - and I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone that's carried insurance that will cover it, outside of incredibly expensive specialized insurers who might not even cover you in the staging lanes and aren't offering a "black box" anyway. If you know of a provider that will cover me at Great Lakes this weekend, driving the public roads to the track with a black box, running the track, and driving home, all covered, let me know.

Perhaps I made the mistake of not including those events that the kiddies set up in the parking lot or someone lollygagging around on an "open track" weekend.
    This was up to the end of '09, when I got a different policy for the V2.

At Brainerd, last year, we had a track day on the short course. This allowed us to run the drag strip, untimed. Flag drops, eyes at the finish. While most don't care for that, or was a unique occurrence and not a timed event.

As for my policy, it clearly stated that being in a timed event was not covered. Hit another car at any track event - not covered. If it were not toned and you hit something that wasn't a car, you were as covered as any other incident...

----------

And I would expect you to be lollygagging everywhere in your cute little econobox at 55.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.